The Good Soldiers by David Finkel

The Good Soldiers (2009)

by David Finkel

Recently added byreganrule, private library, janey47, boo-radley, Abek, dannalora

Whatever I try to say about this brilliant, sensitive book chronicling the 2-16 Infantry Battalion during the 2007 Iraq surge won't be enough. It is unquestionably the best book I've ever read on the Iraq War, and maybe about any war. It's an absolute masterpiece of narrative nonfiction. ( )
  wanack | Feb 20, 2014 |
I want the President and every elected federal official, as well as the Secretaries of State and Defense to read this book. Finkel simply portrays the reality of war from the place of the soldiers who fight it and their families. Devastating, and the best argument against war I have read in a long time. ( )
1 vote nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Journalist David Finkel spent eight of the fifteen months during which the 2-16 Infantry Batallion were deployed in Baghdad. This was January 2007 through April 2008, the Surge. The writing reminds me a lot of Tom Wolfe's nonfiction, particularly in "The Right Stuff". Looking at the events chronicled here, it's hard to see this as a "war" in the way most of us understand the concept. The assignment is basically to tame and reclaim a rundown neighborhood on the eastern wing of the city. On the sides of the roads are sewage trenches wide and deep enough to swallow a humvee. (And they do). The soldiers are set to restore order and morale to a place that has become lawless. Fourteen American deaths occur during the deployment, and numerous grisly injuries that would leave a lot of folks wishing for death. The soldiers are decent Americans who have a hard time understanding why the improvements they try to build (schools, sewage systems, swimming pools) keep getting sabotaged by the insurgent element. You can almost hear the voice of a parent saying, "This is why we can't have nice things". If this book makes one point, it is that, whether or not you agree with the United States being in Iraq at all, our troops are representing us humanely and well. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
Again, another war story that had me smiling and tearing up the whole way through. This book brings home the reality of what our soldiers are putting on the line everyday for us, and the reality of what they have to live with when they come home. It makes me want to thank every soldier every time I see one! ( )
  kcoleman428 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Brutal. Stunning. I can't rave about it enough. ( )
  abrahamhyatt | Apr 3, 2013 |
What is the responsibility of a writer? To describe events, or explain them? I, for one, am not sure. But one wonders if after six years, another vérité, day-by-day portrait of war is sufficient.

We pick up with the action in Iraq after approximately 3,000 soldiers have been killed and some 25,000 wounded. The numbers are a backdrop to Finkel’s real drama, which by the book’s end rises to fever pitch. Had they made a difference, the men of the 2-16 begin to wonder. Were they still “good soldiers”?

Answering that question is the fascinating core of this ferociously reported, darkly humorous and spellbinding book. As Finkel describes it, the men of the 2-16 struggled to be decent in a terrifying environment.

It is Mr. Finkel’s accomplishment in this harrowing book that he not only depicts what the Iraq war is like for the soldiers of the 2-16 — 14 of whom die — but also the incalculable ways in which the war bends (or in some cases warps) the remaining arc of their lives.

Though I can't help wishing Finkel had probed into the origins and nature of this particular conflict (why exactly are we fighting? who exactly are those bad guys planting bombs to drive us from their country?), his book is a necessary and powerful reminder that wars are declared by politicians far from the killing fields; the idealistic soldiers and innocent civilians are the ones, on the ground, suffering and dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374165734, Hardcover)

Book Description It was the last-chance moment of the war. In January 2007, President George W. Bush announced a new strategy for Iraq. He called it "the surge." "Many listening tonight will ask why this effort will succeed when previous operations to secure Baghdad did not. Well, here are the differences," he told a skeptical nation. Among those listening were the young, optimistic army infantry soldiers of the 2-16, the battalion nicknamed the Rangers. About to head to a vicious area of Baghdad, they decided the difference would be them.

Fifteen months later, the soldiers returned home forever changed. Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporter David Finkel was with them in Bagdad almost every grueling step of the way.

What was the true story of the surge? Was it really a success? Those are the questions he grapples with in his remarkable report from the front lines. Combining the action of Mark Bowden's Black Hawk Down with the literary brio of Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, The Good Soldiers is an unforgettable work of reportage. And in telling the story of these good soldiers, the heroes and the ruined, David Finkel has also produced an eternal tale--not just of the Iraq War, but of all wars, for all time.

Faces of the SurgeBeneath every policy decision made in the highest echelons of Washington about how a war should be fought are soldiers who live with those decisions every day. These are some of the faces of the U.S. strategy known as "the surge," as photographed by David Finkel, author of The Good Soldiers.

Soldiers of the 2-16 Rangers wait
for permission to enter a mosque.

Two soldiers try to collect themselves after
their Humvee was hit by a roadside bomb.

Sergeant Adam Schumann, regarded as
one of the battalion's best soldiers on the
day he was sent home with severe post
-traumatic stress disorder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:33 -0400)

In the tradition of "Black Hawk Down," The Good Soldiers takes an unforgettable look at the heroes and the ruined soldiers fighting in the Iraq War.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible