The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by…

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

by Rebecca Skloot

9,693624447 (4.15)2 / 801
    The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (kidzdoc)
    Medical Apartheid by Harriet A. Washington (lives4laughs, fannyprice)
    The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson (bunnygirl)
    bunnygirl: personal history and stories linked with the larger African American history. if you were wondering about Skloot's reference to the Lacks family being part of the Great Migration, this book explains exactly what it is and tells the stories of three families in a similar manner.… (more)
    Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (VenusofUrbino)
    VenusofUrbino: If you like well-researched and well-written non-fiction like "Immortal Life" then you will also appreciate Mary Roach.
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," I was pained by the impoverished lives of people who still lived on plantations in the 1940s - lack of schooling, lack of health care, lack of any kind of decent housing etc. "A Lesson Before Dying" more directly addresses the life of people still living on plantations in the '40s. Even though I sort of knew this, it was an emotional shock to truly recognize that all the abuse and oppression did not end with the Civil War but was still there 80 years later.… (more)
    Body Hunters: How the Drug Industry Tests Its Products On the World's Poorest Patients by Sonia Shah (legxleg)
    Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande (Othemts)
    The Plutonium Files: America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War by Eileen Welsome (barbharris1)
    The Mapmaker's Wife: A True Tale of Love, Murder, and Survival in the Amazon by Robert Whitaker (sboyte)
    sboyte: Fascinating stories of the people behind great scientific discoveries.
    The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee by Marja Mills (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In both books, journalists get personally involved with their subjects.
    The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History by John M. Barry (LKAYC)
    The Forever Fix: Gene Therapy and the Boy Who Saved It by Ricki Lewis (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both of these books capture and humanize the process of medical discovery and the experiences of the patients. Although the authors have somewhat different backgrounds — Rebecca Skloot is a journalist with an undergraduate degree in biology, whereas Rikki Lewis has a PhD in genetics — I think the discussion of the scientific issues and the ethical issues regarding informed consent would appeal to the same readers.… (more)
    Truevine: Two Brothers, a Kidnapping, and a Mother's Quest: A True Story of the Jim Crow South by Beth Macy (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Unusual medical conditions and racism as experienced by African Americans in the Jim Crow South.
    The Juggler's Children: A Journey into Family, Legend and the Genes that Bind Us by Carolyn Abraham (sboyte)
    The Wandering Gene and the Indian Princess by Jeff Wheelwright (LeesyLou)
    LeesyLou: If you have an interest in the social and personal ethics and background of medical care, this adds to your understanding. Minority cultures and personal medical ethics are equally poorly understood by many practitioners.
    Life Itself: Exploring the Realm of the Living Cell by Boyce Rensberger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Cell cultures are being used to study diseases as well as cure them. Learn about the cell cultures called 'HeLa' in The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and read about cell cultures' utility as a whole in Life Itself.
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (macart3)
    macart3: Deals with bioethics and human experimentation without others' consent.
    Tissue and cell donation : an essential guide by Ruth M. Warwick (Limelite)
    Limelite: Scientific discussion of medical/ethical, and other considerations regarding patients' rights and the medical profession's responsibilities on the subject, as well as other pertinent procedures.
    The Dangerous Joy of Dr. Sex and Other True Stories by Pagan Kennedy (Othemts)

English (619)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (624)
This is a scientific, biographical book about a dead woman’s cells. It is important to note that this woman’s cells saved and is continuing to save millions of lives and that she is black woman (I hope Trump gets to benefit from her cells). As I said that it is scientific, full of science stuff but also full of emotion. I loved how it centered on Henrietta’s family especially Deborah. It gives you an idea on who Henrietta really is: she is not just a bunch of cells. She is someone’s mother, sister and wife. I’m recommending this to everybody! ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Dec 13, 2018 |
Just started -- pretty gripping so far. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I was told this book was amazing by practically every person in the world it seemed like. So I started it...a year ago. I finally forced myself to finish it. I did find it a little hard to get into, but that is probably me and my not wanting to give into the hype of it, after all Oprah was making it into a movie. I was wrong to drag my feet, it is 100% worth all the hype and then some. The science, which I thought would be boring was actually VERY interesting and quite insightful. The human side of the story was riveting!! Her poor family and all they endured, from some cells! You'd think they were overreacting if someone just told you about it, but you couldn't be more wrong. The way their mother, her cancer, her cells, and her legacy effected the entire family is still being felt today. I urge everyone to read this book, chances are you are already familiar with Henrietta and her cells. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | Nov 25, 2018 |
I learned a lot and I would recommend that everyone read this book. There's an interesting debate going on in the medical community that affects all of us, but most of us have no idea. There are no easy answers to these important ethical questions. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
I could not put it down! This is an astounding, thought provoking book that addresses issues not often covered - patients' rights, experimentation on humans, racial segregation, profits and ethics in medical research, and of course, the history of the famous HeLa cells that lead to groundbreaking medical breakthroughs since the fifties. It is also a very human account of Henrietta Lacks' life, death, and her descendants' lives, and Rebecca Skloot's deep relationship with the family while researching her book.

I was astounded and incredulous many times. American doctors in the fifties did not think there was anything wrong with injecting cancer cells into hospital patients without their knowledge - in an era after the Nuremberg trials of Nazi doctors, where experimentation on humans without their consent were declared illegal. They drilled the skulls of epileptic children and removed their brain fluids in order to take clearer pictures of their brains for research - without the parents knowledge or consent. We still have no laws about patient's rights to their own tissues and what they are used for... I can go on.

But the most memorable parts of the book are about Deborah, her struggle to understand, learn, and the mental anguish the affair of the cells caused her and the Lacks family. I loved the touching scene where Gary calms her with preaching, and Rebecca is touched by the spirituality and the power of faith. The story of how she gradually gains the trust of the wary and suspicious family and becomes a friend who gives them the knowledge they seek is powerful and moving.

This is a page-turner of the best sort - easy to read, flows, written in common English. Very few scientific terms are used, everything is clearly explained. The book reads like a novel, with occasional detours to discuss important ethical issues. I usually take a long time with non fiction books, but this one is a faster read than most novels.

Both Science and human story, an important, amazing, touching, and gripping read. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Skloot narrates the science lucidly, tracks the racial politics of medicine thoughtfully and tells the Lacks family’s often painful history with grace. She also confronts the spookiness of the cells themselves, intrepidly crossing into the spiritual plane on which the family has come to understand their mother’s continued presence in the world. Science writing is often just about “the facts.” ­Skloot’s book, her first, is far deeper, braver and more wonderful.

I put down Rebecca Skloot’s first book, “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,” more than once. Ten times, probably. Once to poke the fire. Once to silence a pinging BlackBerry. And eight times to chase my wife and assorted visitors around the house, to tell them I was holding one of the most graceful and moving nonfiction books I’ve read in a very long time.

Writing with a novelist's artistry, a biologist's expertise, and the zeal of an investigative reporter, Skloot tells a truly astonishing story of racism and poverty, science and conscience, spirituality and family, all driven by a galvanizing inquiry into the sanctity of the body and the very nature of the life force.
added by sduff222 | editBooklist, Donna Seaman (Dec 1, 2009)

Henrietta Lacks died of cervical cancer in a “colored” hospital ward in Baltimore in 1951. She would have gone forever unnoticed by the outside world if not for the dime-sized slice of her tumor sent to a lab for research eight months earlier. ...
Skloot, a science writer, has been fascinated with Lacks since she first took a biology class at age 16. As she went on to earn a degree in the subject, she yearned to know more about the woman, anonymous for years, who was responsible for those ubiquitous cells....

Skloot tells a rich, resonant tale of modern science, the wonders it can perform and how easily it can exploit society's most vulnerable people.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Rebecca Sklootprimary authorall editionscalculated
Acedo, Sara R.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grip, GöranTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Townsend, MandaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We must not see any person as an abstraction.
Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets,
with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish,
and with some measure of triumph.

----Elie Wiesel
from The Nazi Doctors and the Nuremberg Code
For my family:

My parents, Betsy and Floyd; their spouses, Terry and Beverly;
my brother and sister-in-law, Matt and Renee;
and my wonderful nephews, Nick and Justin.
They all did without me for far too long because of this book,
but never stopped believing in it, or me.

And in loving memory of my grandfather,
James Robert Lee (1912-2003),
who treasured books more than anyone I've known.
On January 29, 1951, David Lacks sat behind the wheel of his old Buick, watching the rain fall.
This is a work of nonfiction. (A Few Words About This Book)
There's a photo on my wall of a woman I've never met, its left corner torn and patched together with tape, (Prologue)
When I tell people the story of Henrietta Lacks and her cells, their first question is usually Wasn't it illegal for doctors to take Henrietta's cells without her knowledge? Don't doctors have to tell you when they use your cells in research? (Afterword)
...But I always have thought it was strange, if our mother cells done so much for medicine, how come her family can't afford to see no doctors? Don't make no sense. People got rich off my mother without us even knowin about them takin her cells, now we don't get a dime. I used to get so mad about that to where it made me sick and I had to take pills. But I don't got it in me no more to fight. I just want to know who my mother was.
----Deborah Lacks
When I tell people the story of Henrietta Lacks and her cells, the first question is usually Wasn't it illegal for doctors to take Henrietta's cells without her knowledge? Don't doctors have to tell you when they use your cells in research? The answer is no--not in 1951, and not in 2009, when this book went to press.
Non-fiction. This book is a memoir, a biography, a human interest story w/ racial, legal & moral issues. Covers the journey of the HeLa cells.

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer, yet her cells--taken without her knowledge--became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first "immortal" human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer and viruses; helped lead to in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions. Yet Henrietta Lacks is buried in an unmarked grave. Her family did not learn of her "immortality" until more than twenty years after her death, when scientists began using her husband and children in research without informed consent. The story of the Lacks family is inextricably connected to the dark history of experimentation on African Americans, the birth of bioethics, and the legal battles over whether we control the stuff we are made of--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,829,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible