WWW: Watch by Robert J. Sawyer

WWW: Watch (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Robert J. Sawyer

Series: WWW (2)

Member:davidhburton
Title:WWW: Watch
Authors:Robert J. Sawyer
Info:Ace Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****

WWW: Watch by Robert J. Sawyer (2010)

Book #2 in this trilogy does the opposite of what a lot of typical middle trilogy books do - it actually drives the story forward with a lot of action, something that I thought was lacking in WWW: Wake.

Sawyer's writing isn't the strongest, but I enjoyed that he's written an AI story where the AI isn't trying to take over the world or kill humans or any of the typical AI-gone-wrong scenarios.

I am wondering what could possibly be in the 3rd book of the trilogy, though. Books #1 and 2 felt like they really could have been edited down to one volume, and WWW: Watch doesn't end on a cliffhanger. I feel like if I wanted to, I could easily stop reading here. However, I do have the third volume from the library already, and this one went by quickly enough that I'll go ahead and finish things. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
Although I did not like the first one so much, I'm so very happy that I gave this book a chance, because I had a very tough time putting it down. Sawyer is back in full form with this book with many ethical dilemmas to ponder in a very eminently readable story as usual. And the real world references to articles, other sci-fi authors, scientists, etc... add so much relevance to this book. Having so many insightful and delightful Canadian references thrown in is just icing on the cake! ( )
  Guide2 | Sep 17, 2012 |
In the second book of this trilogy, Webmind continues his development even as the American government becomes aware of his existence. Middle books are usually tricky and unsatisfying but I actually found it more thought-provoking than the first volume because it gets into more of what the rights of an artificial intelligence should be as well as what is an appropriate role for a being who is nearly omnipotent within the confines of the Internet. ( )
  jholcomb | Jun 27, 2012 |
Watch is the second book in Sawyer's WWW trilogy about an sentient entity emerging from the Web. This is an excellent idea driven SF novel exploring the realm of artificial intelligence while exploring deeper into the evolutionary consciousness as well. The second book in a trilogy is usually the bum read or mere transition fluff, but Sawyer creates a second book that is more idea engaging than the first in the series. My only critiques so far are as follows: characters are sometimes too simplistic, characters are a bit too PC, the teen philosophy conversations come across as preachy diatribes, and did I mention weak characters. The critiques are what drove it from a 4 to a 3; otherwise, the idea driven SF gets a 4. ( )
  revslick | Jun 26, 2012 |
WWW: Watch is the second novel in Robert J. Sawyers WWW trilogy (Wake, Watch and Wonder). The second book focuses on the continued emergence of Webmind and his utilization of the infrastructure of the WWW as its consciousness. However, a branch of the NSA known as WATCH is on to the emergent AI and has begun making plans to eradicate this potential intelligence threat. Webmind must figure out a way to survive in a world where his very existence is considered a risk to national security.

Rarely is the second book in a series better than its predecessor, but in the case of Watch this is definitely the case. The characters become more believable and the author presents some very viable arguments and considerations on the future of Artificial Intelligence. Another unique perspective that I enjoyed is that Sawyer presents an AI that does not mean to harm the human race, but rather wants to help and save as many as he can. One element of this book I could have done without, is the teen angst that comes with a 16 year old protagonist. Caitlin is a great character... until she goes on and on and on about boys. If I could strike these sections this book has 4-5 star potential. If you are interested in reading accessible science fiction I would recommend the WWW series (or at least the first two books). ( )
  JechtShot | Mar 18, 2012 |
For JAMES ALAN GARDNER Who Explained Teleology to the World at Large
I now knew what I was - knew who I was.
But in general, people do want to be happy. That's why we promise them 'Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.'"
You're in Canada now, Caitlin. I believe the corresponding promise made there is simply "Peace, order and good government." No mention of happiness.

Page 163.

Award-winning author Robert J. Sawyer continues his "wildly though- provoking" science fiction saga of a sentient World Wide Web.

Webmind is an emerging consciousness that has befriended Caitlin Decter and grown eager to learn about her world. But Webmind has also come to the attention of WATCH-the secret government agency that monitors the Internet for any threat to the United States-and they're fully aware of Caitlin's involvement in its awakening.

WATCH is convinced that Webmind represents a risk to national security and wants it purged from cyberspace. But Caitlin believes in Webmind's capacity for compassion-and she will do anything and everything necessary to protect her friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:32 -0400)

A sentient World Wide Web entity known as Webmind has befriended Caitlin Decter and grown eager to learn about her world. But Webmind has also come to the attention of WATCH--the secret government agency that monitors the Internet for any threat to the United States-and they're fully aware of Caitlin's involvement in its awakening. WATCH is convinced that Webmind represents a risk to national security and wants it purged from cyberspace.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible