Girls Volume 1: Conception (Girls) by Joshua…

Girls Volume 1: Conception (Girls)

by Joshua Luna

When dealing with comics and graphic novels, it is difficult to say how many 'thingies' I've read by a specific author. I mean, this here is a collection of, um, 5 or 6 individual comics all collected. So it makes talking about certain things hard.

Long long ago I read the first issue of Girls when it was offered free. Must mean something if the first issue involves a naked woman wandering around and is vaguely interesting. But I never attempted to read the second issue until today. Oh, that's right, that's because the main dude, the lead character, is massive dick. Whiny, immature, dick. So, yeah, I didn't continue until today.

I really had no specific desire to try this here series. But I'd read Luna's Alex + Ada, and, eventually, I broke down and decided to actually read this one here. So - just to get the order right, I read issue one of Girls, then everything in the Alex + Ada series, then back to first volume of Girls.

First off - Luna sure is obsessed with women who look like Girl and Ada. At least, in the sense that they look so bloody similar. Could very well be the same woman. I mean, same hair, body type, etc. Hmms. Looking at the covers, they don't look the same. But I recall them being quite similar when I was reading them. Well, at the very least, they could be sisters.

Okay then - this book started off with the weird little scene involving sperm. Yes, sperm. Swimming. Then moving on to a man. Man works in a store. Woman comes in. They flirt. Woman makes comments like "I'd like you to squeeze my cantaloupes". Man looks down at woman's breasts. Woman holds up cantaloupes for him to squeeze while saying that she never can figure out how to tell how ripe the fruit are. Man suggests going to a bar that night. Eventually the woman says she might go. Man says it's a date. Woman looks at him like he's the biggest loser on earth and says something like 'I meant, I might go with my parents.' Man looks like he's very confused.

I would not normally have so, both vaguely and graphically, described that scene, but it's the model for the rest of the book. Man's bloody clueless near women. Apparently dated one of them, then didn't speak to that one for six months. Bottled up his rage. Then unleashes it one night. Man gets tossed out of bar by cop. At roughly the same moment a big loud boom is heard. Man drives away.

While driving somewhat insanely down the road man almost runs over a naked woman. He pulls her into his car and drives her home. Instead of, you know, to the police station or a hospital or the like. Two rapist looking guys poke out of the forest holding guns (well, one had one, I forget if other had one as well). They look disappointed the naked girl got away.

One thing leads to another and naturally man fucks the naked woman. Because that's what you do when you find a naked woman in the road. One who appears so shell-shocked that all she seems capable of doing is occasionally repeating what you are saying. Though one or two 'things' are said that were repeated from others, though he doesn't know that at the time. So, as I said, naturally you would 1) take such a woman home instead of getting help for her and 2) fuck her.

Next morning arrives. There's some 'being sick' like noises from bathroom. Man wanders around in his boxers. One thing leads to another and the woman he used to date, who now dates the cop, the cop, and man are in man's home. Because man finally realized he probably should tell someone about the woman.

Man leads cop and Taylor inside (Taylor being the ex, the cop's named Wes, I forget the man's name; there we go - Ethan Daniels). So, Ethan goes to find named woman (no I can't now provide her name, naked woman has no name). Opens bathroom door. Finds naked woman on floor looking exhausted. Next to her are several rather large eggs. One thing leads to another and naked women who look like the first one spring out of said eggs. And immediately start hitting and smacking.

Sooo. This is one weird fucking comic, eh? Kept my attention and was vaguely interesting. If someone's read Alex + Ada, and liked it, I guess I'd recommend them to at least try the first issue - which is probably still free somewhere. Otherwise . . . I don't know if I'd recommend this naked women, giant sperm, giant egg comic series. ( )
  Lexxi | Sep 28, 2015 |
I heard a lot of good things about this, but was a little unsettled by the idea of a zombie-style showdown in a small town where you have naked women instead of zombies... it seemed a little like it would be hard to write something like that without some misogyny creeping in. The Luna Bros. face this dilemma head-on, but pretty much the wrong way: they introduce a protagonist who is pretty much a straight-up misogynist, surrounded by unsympathetic women. The comic is vaguely critical of this, but he's pretty much intended as sympathetic guy, so... yeah. Not a fan.
  jbushnell | Apr 21, 2008 |
One dark night in Pennystown (pop. 65), Ethan picks up a beautiful, naked, silent "mystery girl" on the side of the road. He takes her home, where she forces herself on him (not meeting much resistance). In the morning, she lays eggs that give birth to identical mystery girls, who then begin assaulting the women of Pennystown.

This first volume features the madness and uncertainty of the beginning of a monster movie. There are freak occurrences, violent deaths, interpersonal conflicts, and a wide supporting cast who may or may not turn out to be simple stereotypes. The series may go on to say something interesting about gender roles and relationships, or it may turn out to be a pulp story with sexy zombies.

The art is unusual, featuring digitally enhanced color separation, lighting, and depth-of-field effects. More important, the characters' visual representation supports their individual personalities, which is essential to keeping track of the dozen or so townspeople.

Original post on "All The Things I've Lost"
  YorickBrown | Jul 26, 2007 |
This is a great series of graphic novels, and I am not into graphic novels at all. Basically a survival horror story, take your typical zombie tale and replace the zombies with naked women. A small town finds themselves trapped in a transparent shpere with hundreds of egg laying naked women, whos sole purpose is to beat all of the human women to death. Sounds weird, and it IS weird, but written and drawn very similar to a movie. The Luna Brothers are getting a lot of press as the next big thing in comics, and I see why. GREAT series! ( )
  robertjgarcia4 | Apr 3, 2007 |

Ethan Daniels is a typical bachelor who suffers from one, infallible truth: dealing with the opposite sex can be complicated. One night, he bumps into a mysterious woman who will change his life... and maybe even the world.--Amazon.com

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible