Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to…

Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything

by Geneen Roth

Recently added byprivate library, collingsfamily, jrd199, sslater, ehelmke, INorris, Quietman2

Given my continuing issue with obesity and food, when I found this for pennies as a thrift shop, I snatched it up. The bases for Roth's ideology is more esoteric than I prefer. Lots of references to Buddhist and Hindu traditions, lots of importance placed on mediation, self, and feelings. As an INTJ, this is not my cup of tea. At all. Her advice seemed fluffy and touchy-feeling, lacking practical application and having an unhealthy obsession with self. Buried among the dribble lay a few bits of good information - think about why food controls you, learn why you lack control, what emotion does food trigger, all that sort of thing. I'll carry away some bits of good advice from this book, but overall, this isn't the sort of book for me. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 6, 2015 |
I can hear my old English teachers saying "narrow your topic."
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
I can hear my old English teachers saying "narrow your topic."
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
For only a 211-page book there are a lot of quotations from other spiritual advisors in here. In between rehashing her childhood troubles with her mother and emphasizing the typical reluctance of her students to immediately embrace her wellness ideology, Roth does give some interesting, encouraging, and practical information regarding the correlations between our relationship with food and the decisions we make in other aspects of life. ( )
  dele2451 | Apr 18, 2014 |
The title for this book, Women Food and God is a bit deceiving. The book is not so much about women, food, and God or even the relationships that women have with food and God. It is really more about the relationship we have with ourselves and learning to treat ourselves with gentleness and love. This book really resonated with me. Like many women, in my mind I have an ideal weight for myself. Unfortunately, I think I passed that ideal weight sometime in my teens and haven't seen it since. Listening to this book has made me rethink why I want that ideal weight. Will thinner arms really make that much of a difference in my life? I don't think I am a shallow person, yet somehow I have it stuck in my mind that being thinner would make me better. So instead of berating myself for eating all the chocolate eggs for my daughter's Care package, I need to pause, breathe and reflect on why I want to snack or web surf mindlessly. Definitely some thing to think about. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
For those who despair that there is no way through.
And for my retreat students,
who are living testimony that there is.
This is for you.

The bestselling author of "When Food Is Love" helps overeaters find the underlying reasons for using food as an emotional buffer. Roth also provides seven basic guidelines for eating and other therapeutic self-help tools.

Geneen Roth is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,164,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible