Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

Dead in the Family

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (10)

English (177)  French (1)  All languages (178)
This was another book from this series, that had a lot of important aspects to it, and the character development with Sookie was excellent, but the book is just missing something that the earlier books had. It feels like the series is losing its initial appeal. While I am still enjoy the series, it feels like the series is starting to hit a wall.

However, the beginning of the book with Sookie and her recovery from the previous book was well done, and the resulting character development was also incredibly well done. I am enjoying seeing how much Sookie has grown since I first meet her in the first book. She still has some of the classic Sookie, but she has also grown into a very interesting character.

The ending was a bit of a letdown, there was a build up and it looked like there would be something there, but the ending, while good, just didn't fit with the rest of the flow of the book. It was just an ending. While the lead into the rest of the series was well done, I was rather disappointed in how the ending went with this one. It wasn't bad, but I was expecting more from it.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Dead in the Family ( )
  bookwormjules | Dec 29, 2014 |
When I started this book, a long time ago, I was going to stop it and then re-read the series because it had been so long since the previous book I was worried I would have no idea what is going on. But...when Dead Reckoning came out I could not wait to buy it, which means I had to read this one first. So I just started reading and luckily I feel back into the story with ease. I have to say I feel really sad for Sookie and for Merlotte's, that place has to have accumulated ghosts and stuff with all the crappy stuff that has happened there.

Anyway, I feel right back into the story and Sookie's life. It gets kind of crazy in this book, but that's par for Sookie, although she did not finish the book in the hospital. I had to re-read the last part of this book though because I was a tad confused as to what was happening but other than that this is an excellent installment to the Sookie Stackhouse series! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
So much happened in this book and I had a hard time caring about much of it. It still had its moments, but definitely not as good as past books. ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
Disappointing. The themes running through this book match the title completely, everyone had a story related to these themes - it was almost as if this book was a collection of short stories put together and delivered as a novel. The action was lacking, the fear coming from Eric led me to believe his master was the one to be afraid of - a complete misdirection which was unsatisfying.

The high points for me were Sookie's time with Hunter and the little time she spent with Eric. It was good to see him at his most vulnerable, he now seems more human, even if he isn't. I hope this series comes to an end soon as these books are becoming more miss than hit for me. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I can't say that I was terribly impressed by this book. Actually, I was more than a little disappointed. I had been looking forward to this book for a long time, started reading it and then...nothing happened.

It was really, really boring. Harris spends way too much time on details of really menial things. Not enough time on things actually happening. Yeah, the last thirty pages or so were interesting, but it was rushed. She should have spent more time doing something interesting with the rest of the book.

Maybe she's building something to take place in the other books, since there was a lot in this book left unresolved. We still don't know what's going on with Bill and Judith, whatever happened with the weres and their judgement is unresolved, the problem with Sam and the protesters is unresolved. Really, this book did nothing but leave us with a whole lot more questions.

There were some good parts. I liked Eric sad and angsty. I liked Claude and the fairies. But in general, this was certainly not my favorite Sookie book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Harris is no mean shakes at romance — Erik may be dead, but he's still hot — and she serves up the paranormal thrills and juggles her enormous cast with ease. But more to the point, she seamlessly blends all this into a lovingly observed portrait of small-town Louisiana.

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our son Patrick, who has not only met our hopes, dreams and expectations for him, but exceeded them.
"I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

After the brief but deadly Faery War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's angry. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman who is under scrutiny by the new Vampire King because of their relationship. And as the political implications of the Shifters coming out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to the Shreveport pack draws her into the debate and up against a Fae who wants her dead.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,159,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible