Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

Dead in the Family (edition 2011)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:Plactus
Title:Dead in the Family
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Charlaine Harris, Contemporary Fantasy, Fantasy, Mystery, The Southern Vampire Mysteries, Urban Fantasy

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

English (176)  French (1)  All languages (177)
Disappointing. The themes running through this book match the title completely, everyone had a story related to these themes - it was almost as if this book was a collection of short stories put together and delivered as a novel. The action was lacking, the fear coming from Eric led me to believe his master was the one to be afraid of - a complete misdirection which was unsatisfying.

The high points for me were Sookie's time with Hunter and the little time she spent with Eric. It was good to see him at his most vulnerable, he now seems more human, even if he isn't. I hope this series comes to an end soon as these books are becoming more miss than hit for me. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 21, 2014 |

Cynical_Ames | Sep 21, 2014 |
I can't say that I was terribly impressed by this book. Actually, I was more than a little disappointed. I had been looking forward to this book for a long time, started reading it and then...nothing happened.

It was really, really boring. Harris spends way too much time on details of really menial things. Not enough time on things actually happening. Yeah, the last thirty pages or so were interesting, but it was rushed. She should have spent more time doing something interesting with the rest of the book.

Maybe she's building something to take place in the other books, since there was a lot in this book left unresolved. We still don't know what's going on with Bill and Judith, whatever happened with the weres and their judgement is unresolved, the problem with Sam and the protesters is unresolved. Really, this book did nothing but leave us with a whole lot more questions.

There were some good parts. I liked Eric sad and angsty. I liked Claude and the fairies. But in general, this was certainly not my favorite Sookie book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Another good book in the series. I'm amazed at how she's keeping the quality & consistency of the writing up. The series should certainly be read in order - it's a soap opera. If you don't know the history, you'll miss the emotional attachments to characters & won't understand their struggles.

Definitely worth reading for anyone who likes the series so far. I can't wait for the next!

29May11 - I read this a year ago & re-read it as part of the marathon to catch up for book 11. I wasn't quite as happy with it this time. I did read it quickly, but it seemed to me that some motivations were very thin & existed just to make Sookie's life difficult or add complexity to the book. Still, it was a fun read. Off to the 11th book, [b:Dead Reckoning: A True Blood Novel|7981206|Dead Reckoning A True Blood Novel|Charlaine Harris|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Df01h49bL._SL75_.jpg|12401364]. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book left me wanting more. I expected a little more from this book though. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Harris is no mean shakes at romance — Erik may be dead, but he's still hot — and she serves up the paranormal thrills and juggles her enormous cast with ease. But more to the point, she seamlessly blends all this into a lovingly observed portrait of small-town Louisiana.

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our son Patrick, who has not only met our hopes, dreams and expectations for him, but exceeded them.
"I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

After the brief but deadly Faery War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's angry. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman who is under scrutiny by the new Vampire King because of their relationship. And as the political implications of the Shifters coming out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to the Shreveport pack draws her into the debate and up against a Fae who wants her dead.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,817,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible