Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
Title:Dead in the Family
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Charlaine Harris, Contemporary Fantasy, Fantasy, Mystery, The Southern Vampire Mysteries, Urban Fantasy

Dead In The Family by Charlaine Harris (Author)

English (198)  French (1)  English (199)
This was closer to 2.5 stars honestly. To me this book was utter and complete "filler". It was the same length as Dead and Gone but felt much, much shorter. There was very little forward progression in the Sookie Stackhouse story as a whole. I don't think we were left with any kind of cliffhanger or too many unanswered questions. Maybe it was just because this story paled in comparison to all of the action and events of the last book. Although I do adore Eric and Sookie together, especially when I can picture Alexander Skarsgard in my mind. ;0) And I'm glad we're getting to know Claude a little better. I do appreciate the fact that Bill is scarce because I've thought he was a douche since Club Dead, although Definitely Dead sealed it for me. Now I can get back to In The Woods which I'm enjoying tremendously. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
2010 review -- I'm not really sure how to write a review for this book. I greatly loved it, and read it in only a couple of sittings. I enjoyed the fact that we learn a lot about various family relationships throughout the book. I greatly loved the fact that Alexei Romanov is a vampire, and I definitely agree with Harris that he'd be crazier than a loon.

The book is very slow moving, not a lot happens. I feel as if this book is a transition book, setting the scene for what happens next. Harris does a fabulous job of reminding readers what happened in past books, without getting too repetitive like some other vampire series I won't mention.

But... that whole relationship with Eric. It really drove me nuts, how normal Harris was writing their marriage. All the honeys and other terms of endearment, to me were just fake. And Claude being nice just seemed so out of character.

All of those negatives aside, however, it's still a wonderful book, a fast read, and I'm definitely left wanting to read the next book in the series.

2013 review -- Not much to add, really. Still enjoyed it, read pretty fast like the first time. Still love the fact that Alexei Romanov is a vampire, but have more more feelings about him this time around. Surprised I didn't write more about how evil, sick, and twisted he is - and how sad it all it.

I didn't find her relationship with Eric nuts this time - parts still felt a little fake, but it seemed a little more "real" this time around. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I love me some Sookie, but this one seemed like filler. A bunch of plots were advanced a little bit. In a long-ish and drawn-out way. Ho hum. Bring on the next one. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 19, 2016 |
Another good book in the life of Sookie Stackhouse. It was interesting to learn more about her family history and Eric's history. As always, this is a great series to listen to on audio. When I'm done I will miss having Sookie Stackhouse and the other characters ride to work with me. I recommend this series of books. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This seemed more like a few missing chapters from the previous book than a stand-alone novel. It introduced some new issues, then resolved them (for the most part) ... I think I would have rather had Harris add this story to the next real book and leave out all the extra stuff.

And I've got no idea why the first chapters started the way they did. She named them by the month (or part of the month) that the chapter took place in, as if that made some difference to the readers. I should check that out again ... clearly I missed the significance. Maybe it's got something to do with the next book?

Either way, transition books stink. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Harris is no mean shakes at romance — Erik may be dead, but he's still hot — and she serves up the paranormal thrills and juggles her enormous cast with ease. But more to the point, she seamlessly blends all this into a lovingly observed portrait of small-town Louisiana.

Harris, CharlaineAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our son Patrick, who has not only met our hopes, dreams and expectations for him, but exceeded them.
"I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

After the brief but deadly Faery War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's angry. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman who is under scrutiny by the new Vampire King because of their relationship. And as the political implications of the Shifters coming out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to the Shreveport pack draws her into the debate and up against a Fae who wants her dead.… (more)

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,689,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible