Power Girl: A New Beginning by Justin Gray

Power Girl: A New Beginning (2010)

by Justin Gray, Amanda Conner (Illustrator), Jimmy Palmiotti (Author)

Born on a distant planet, Kara Zor-L is looking for a fresh start in a place renowned for giving people a second chance: New Yourk City! But its newest, super-powered protector isn't the only one with big-city dreams... A terrifying storm turns Manhattan into a nightmare when it's besieged by fear-inducing robots. In no time, Power Girl's life goes from zero to crazy, and that's only the first wave of the Ultra-Humanite's insane assault! With the fate of her new home hanging in the balance, can Power Girl dissuade her brilliant enemy and a trio of party-crashing, alien marauders from taking a bite out of the Big Apple? The action never stops in the city that doesn't sleep!… (more)
    Terra by Jimmy Palmiotti (ryvre)
    ryvre: Terra and Power Girl were both made by the same creative team.

Not my first exposure to Power Girl, but it is my first time to read a comic wherein Power Girl is the lead character of her own self-titled series. I've seen her before in the most recent Harley Quinn series, and in World's Finest (there with Huntress).

Book opens with Power Girl flying. Suddenly storm clouds over New York (neat they in a real city; also, what's with me suddenly finding real cities in the DC Comics books I've been reading? I'm alternating Power Girl with Manhunter; Manhunter is in Los Angeles, Power Girl is in New York). "Things", as in robots suddenly fall out of sky. Attack. Same time everyone below starts attacking each other because of "Psychic waves" or something. Meanwhile a giant albino gorrilla flies in on a spaceship, he's the one who launched the attack. Apparently he wants to put his brain into Powergirl's body.

Then there's bits about an origin story, then bits about her "secret identity" live as Karen Starr (or something like that) and her Starrweave company (again, could be wrong with name of company).

It's an interesting series. Actually much better than I expected. Though I wasn't expecting much. There were some funny little bits.

It did seem a little too overdramatic and over the top on occasion. Though some of those overly dramatic moments turned out to be dreams, but still. Wait, did they? Reading Manhunter and Power Girl back to back might have merged some stories together. ( )
  Lexxi | Jun 8, 2015 |
A quick fun read. Powergirl has always been a character in the background, and I've always been curious about her. While this didn't answer many question, it was fun and it did make me interested in reading more. ( )
  andystehr | Apr 10, 2011 |
Reasons to read (and love) Power Girl:

1) It's fun! I like dark, gritty comics as much as the next reader, but sometimes I just want to enjoy a fun story.

2) Amanda Conner's art! Power Girl is a difficult character to get right. Amanda Conner strikes the right balance of tough, sexy, and fun. Her facial expressions, in particular, are amazing.

3) It's easy to understand. The DC universe is a big, confusing place. It seems like every title crosses over with every other title, and you need to know who a ton of characters are to understand the story. Power Girl: A New Beginning is accessible even if you've never read a comic before. You don't need to know the history of the DCU, or even of the character.

4) Major Bechdel test pass! This is rare in comics. Hell, it's rare in most mediums.

It's sad that the Palmiotti/Gray/Conner creative team only stayed on Power Girl for 12 issues. ( )
3 vote ryvre | Jun 9, 2010 |

Justin Grayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conner, AmandaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Palmiotti, JimmyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
It's the classic tale of a distant and doomed planet named Krypton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,117,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible