Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Case of the Lost Boy by Dori Hillestad…

The Case of the Lost Boy

by Dori Hillestad Butler

This is the first in the "Buddy Files" series. Buddy is a lovable golden retriever who solves mysteries with his nose and by making lists. He narrates the action so we get the dog's eye view on human behavior and how dogs think. In this volume, his boy is lost. We're nervous about this since there's a "stranger danger" possibility that's a bit scary. Compelling conflict (hard to find in transitional readers) and engaging voice make this a winner.
  scducharme | Mar 4, 2012 |
I received a review copy of this at ALA and just stuck it on the pile. It's been sitting there awhile because...well, I had a bad experience with a dog detective book last fall, and wasn't in the mood to read another....plus Albert Whitman is kinda branded as Boxcar Children and....anyways, I just didn't get around to it.

Then, a few weeks ago, there was a group of little girls in the library wanting dog books! Stories about dogs! Books about dogs with pictures! Anything we had on dogs! They liked dogs! They were very enthusiastic!

And I thought, "I should review that Buddy book," so I sat down and read it that evening....and fell in love.

Buddy (his name is really King, but....) is such a marvelous, distinctive character. Even children who are reluctant to read about an anthropomorphic animal will love Buddy's realistic, humorous, and believable voice. Buddy has been sent to the P-O-U-N-D; but he's sure it's a mistake and he's desperate to get out and find his girl, Kayla, who called him the "King of crime-solving". When he gets adopted by a new family, he's determined to use it as an opportunity to escape and find Kayla, but ends up helping his new owners instead.

Although there's a lot of humor and light-heartedness on the surface of the story, it's also full of suspence, genuine mystery, and some deep issues. Buddy's confusion and torn loyalties and the misery of the boy whose family has adopted Buddy will resonate with any child who's had to endure a divorce or experienced adoption or foster care. Unlike many beginning chapter books, there's a genuine mystery and a logical sequence of clues - with an unexpected ending, just in case you thought it was too easy!

Verdict: Hand this one to kids who like animals, realistic stories, mysteries, and humor. A highly recommended series - the first three books are being released simultaneously in March and I've already ordered the additional titles for our library.

ISBN: 978-0807509104; Published March 2010 by Albert Whitman; ARC provided by the publisher at ALA; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 1, 2012 |
King, a golden retriever, is in the p-o-u-n-d and he doesn't know why! His family, Dad and Kayla (Mom is in the National Guard and not at home) went on vacation to Grandma's house and they never came home!

But now that King is in the pound, other families are looking at him and he is ADOPTED!!!! His new family calls him Buddy! How can King be adopted when Kayla and Dad are missing and he needs to find them?

Buddy/King likes his new family - Conor and Mom are great and have lots of liver treats, plus they live near Kayla's house, so Buddy/King can get clues about his first family's disappearance.

Then Conor goes missing, and Buddy/King has TWO missing families to find. Can he do it?

This series is great for beginning readers looking for longer but not too much more advanced chapter books with good but not scary mysteries! This reviewer has read the first four so far and is anxiously awaiting the fifth! ( )
  kaledrina | Nov 26, 2011 |
sibue 複数ブログで絶賛されてたThe Case of the Lost Boyを読了。人間を飼っていると思っている探偵わんこの物語。なんたって​My name is King. I am a dog.から始まるので易しい英語にホッとさせられます。挿絵がイマイチ ​6月29日 ( )
  wankorobo | Sep 20, 2011 |
King is in the pound, unceremoniously dumped there by his human’s Uncle Marty. King had been staying at a kennel, but his stay was up so he transferred to a neighbor’s home. It is from here that the Uncle took King. He was then adopted by a new family (even though it is suppose to be the dog who does the adopting, King went with them). They recently moved into the neighborhood his human Kayla lives in. King is excited because he needs to find Kayla and her dad, who have not returned from their trip.

In the meantime, the little boy, Connor, who is sad, walks King, now known as Buddy, and uses this as a chance to run away back to his dad in California, a long way from Minnesota. With Buddy’s help, Connor is found at the airport and now Buddy is not sure what he will do when he finds his real family. Dogs are only supposed to have one family, not two.

This is the first book in The Buddy Files series and a good introduction to King (or Buddy), a gentle golden retriever with a good sense of humor and fiercely loyal to his humans. Book number one is a short 41-page chapter book that can be read in one sitting. It will be a favorite with boys and girls 7 to 10 years old. The illustrations show the golden retriever you will have pictured in your mind as you read his story. It is told strickly from the dog’s point of view. The author has done a great job writing the thoughts of a dog. If canines could read and had a book reviewer at the New York Times, this would be the number one title for dogs everywhere.

Note: received from netgalley, courtesy of the publisher
Review courtesy of Kid it Reviews . . . http://kid-lit-reviews.com/2011/08/05/the-buddy-file…llestad-butler/ ( )
  smmorris | Aug 5, 2011 |

"My name is King. I am a dog. I am also a detective."

King has a very big mystery to solve. His family is missing, and he's been put in the P-O-U-N-D. Why doesn't his beloved human (Kayla) come to get him? When King is adopted by Connor and his mom, things get more confusing. The new family calls him Buddy!

And just as Connor and Buddy start to get acquainted, Connor disappears! Buddy (aka King) has big problems to solve, but with some help from his friend Mouse (a very large dog) and the mysterious cat with no name, he shows what a smart, brave dog can do.

Mystery fans and dog lovers will be swept up in Dori Hillestad Butler's funny, satisfying story... and left eager for Buddy's next adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:45 -0400)

While searching for his mysteriously lost human family, Buddy the dog is adopted by another family and helps solve the mystery of their missing boy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,701,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible