Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out of the Woods by Jeff…

Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out of the Woods (edition 2010)

by Jeff Lemire

Member:othersam
Title:Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out of the Woods
Authors:Jeff Lemire
Info:Vertigo (2010), Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****

Sweet Tooth Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods by Jeff Lemire

English (25)  German (1)  All languages (26)
The premise of this world seemed very promising and interesting, which is why I picked it up from the library in the first place. I don't think the actual writing/story in this graphic novel was done very well though.

The scenes seemed all kinds of rushed and the characters were very flat, with the apparent exception Jeppard ("The Big Man"). We get glimpses of him possibly not being a total jerk here and there, which makes him the only character to appear to have more than one side to him.

Gus (the character featured on the cover) is pretty flat too, and also quite annoying. As of right now, I am going to attribute that to him being raised in seclusion in the woods with no one but his dad around for company.

I want to know more about what the heck is going on in this world and why everybody is dying from some disease that causes half-animal, half-human hybrid kids that are apparently immune to it. The last couple of pages are what really made me decide to continue with the second volume, despite not really caring for this one. I want to see if Jeppard regrets his decision to turn Gus over to the people inside the caged in area. This story just didn't give me any of that. That being said, I will read the second volume just to see if they say anything more. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Well told story similar to Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Not terribly derivative and has a fresh take on the post-apocalyptic sub-genre. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
I finished this graphic novel in about an hour. Oops.

Obviously, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was really engrossing. I liked that the art style really evoked the mood and atmosphere of the story. Gus, the protagonist, is a sheltered human/deer hybrid who discovers there's a world outside his cabin for the first time. It feels very grim and post-apocalyptic but I thought the writing was very powerful, because I got attached to the characters and instantly involved in the story.

I like how detailed the art is - I'd love to read it again just to look at each panel and pick up all the little posters, hints and subtler features. I loved how some of the panels were done, too - panels fell away when Gus passed out and one image spanned two or more panels. Those artistic choices really led the eye across the page and made it easier to read.

In terms of atmosphere it does feel a little Mad Max-eseque, if Mad Max wore plaid and were set in somewhere like Western Canada. It also feels like the first part of The Road by Cormac McCarthy (I haven't finished the book, but I've read the first few chapters.)

I am really excited to continue on with this series - I wish I'd borrowed the rest of the series from the library. c: A definite 4 stars. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
too painful for me. Can't handle innocents being used and misused. I'm sure eventually it comes out ok but I had enough after this one
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
I seen his face again when I was sleeping.

Gus, a nine-year-old animal/human hybrid, grapples with some newfound abilities and the harsh reality of his existence when he starts exploring the world beyond his family's home after his father's death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible