The Black Hole by Alan Dean Foster

The Black Hole (original 1979; edition 1979)

by Alan Dean Foster, Jeb Rosebrook (Author), Gerry Day (Author)

Member:randoymwords
Title:The Black Hole
Authors:Alan Dean Foster (Author)
Other authors:Jeb Rosebrook (Author), Gerry Day (Author)
Info:Del Rey, 1979, paperback, 213 p.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Black Hole by Alan Dean Foster (1979)

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the movie but I think the book and film have slightly different interpretations on the ending. Other than that the book is a fairly straight-up version being nearly identical to the film (minus of course the great theatrical score). It was an enjoyable and quick read. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 25, 2014 |
I didn't realize this was a film novelization when I picked it up, but it did read cinematically. More dialogue and description than characterization, it was quite suspenseful, particularly towards the end. The final scenes were probably better on film, as it was difficult to track what was going on in all the action. The plotting and conceptualization was intriguing and it was a pretty quick read. Overall, satisfying, but not mind blowing. The ending was a bit disappointing, although points for being unexpected. ( )
  EmScape | Dec 27, 2013 |
A bad movie spawned this book, which wasn't much better. The movie featured bad science and poor acting, the book improves on the science a little, and is a little better written than the screenplay. Not worth much except for nostalgia, maybe. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 6, 2009 |
There's been one good attempt at a cute movie robot that I can think of, and that one doesn't talk, and gets strapped into the back of Luke Skywalker's X-Wing quite a bit, too.

Here we have a mission to find out what went wrong with a spaceship - the answer basically boiling down to a very bad man, and a black hole.

The investigating crew gets caught up in these problems, and it isn't the best idea to have problems next to a black hole.

Slightly dodgy ending, too.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2007/12/black-hole-alan-dean-foster.html ( )
  bluetyson | Dec 6, 2007 |
I loved this movie as a kid, so I read the book back then looking for more dicussion of the metaphysical scenes at the end of the film. I was 9 years old the Christmas the film came out and perhaps a couple of years older when I read the novel, so I am unable to comment with any accuracy about the writing style (I imagine it is a fun read; Alan Dean Foster generally does not disappoint with his movie novelizations.), but I know that when I finished the novel I was disappointed in the ending. I am not sure what I wanted -- perhaps scenes like the ones I would encounter at age 14 when I first read Dante -- but whatever I was expecting, the book carried me only as far along the path as the movie had done. ( )
1 vote nickdreamsong | Jun 30, 2007 |
"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
"Stars with trains of fire and dews of blood, / Disasters in the sun." --Horatio, Soldier of Denmark
For Unca Walt, who made it all possible, For Joshua Meador, Bill Tytla and Carl Barks, For Unca Scrooge, who made it square, For the Junior Woodchucks of the World and their guidebook and reservoir of inexhaustible knowledge, And for their most illustrious threesome: Huey, Dewey, and Louie, who could read microscopic print with the naked eye and who would have enjoyed this book...
The Universe bubbled and seethed to overflowing with paradoxes, Harry Booth knew.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345285387, Mass Market Paperback)

very good story

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:23 -0400)

For five years the crew of the Palomino had ranged through deep space searching for evidence of alien life-with no result. Then, their mission almost at an end, they discovered a giant collapsar-the largest black hole ever encountered-and drifting perilously near it was the long-lost legendary starship Cygnus.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible