Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese

Mercury Falls (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Robert Kroese

Series: Mercury (1)

Member:remingtonparsley
Title:Mercury Falls
Authors:Robert Kroese
Info:St. Culain Press (2009), Paperback, 350 pages

Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese (2009)

Recently added byIamFluff, robnbrwn, private library, AprilGibbs, MeriwetherR, jmvilches, eurafalsky, Burch, Jill41, ulee
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (Awfki)
    Awfki: A much better, and funnier, take on the apocalypse.
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (leahdawn)
    leahdawn: Another biblical story retold with humour

It's between Good Omens (5 stars) and Dogma (1 star) ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Just the right amount of snark for a possibly-soon-to-be-post-apocalyptic adventure. ( )
  ScoutJ | Aug 7, 2013 |
Started out really funny and then got complicated and by the end I had no idea what was going on. But the first two or three chapters--hilarious! ( )
  spounds | Aug 7, 2013 |
Please note: I read this in September 2010 from a copy provided by Amazon Vine. Once I finish my current book, I'll be reading the rest of the series.

Genre: Humorous literary fiction
Reading Level: Adults
Trigger warnings: some religious people might find this book offensive

My Reactions (and a quick compare & contrast to Dogma: Mercury Falls is a breath of fresh air blowing out the stagnant dogma of way too many churches and throws a few punches at bureaucracy in general while it's at it. It has been compared to Dogma, but honestly I don't think there is any way to compare them, except for the fact that they both take a few swipes at organized religion (in Dogma's case it is only Catholicism) and in both cases there is an angel with an attitude (in Dogma we have Alan Rickman as Metatron - in Mercury Falls we have Mercury himself ...), but they really aren't all that similar - Metatron is in good graces and feels no need to be rebellious, while Mercury is all about expressing himself and pointing out the endless levels of bureaucracy preventing any type of action as ridiculous.

My Synopsis: It all starts when Christine - bored with her rounds interviewing people about the end of the world, which of course hasn't yet shown up (for one reason or another - the latest is that apparently of the 10 Virgins provided, not all of them are ... well ... virginal) - decides to interview one last "prophet," named Mercury. When she arrives, she finds him playing Ping-Pong and thirsty for a beer. He then proceeds to show her a card trick that goes wrong - whereupon he quickly ushers her out of the house, just in time to avoid a bolt of fire from the heavens, destroying the house. From that point, Christine is on the run from one near miss to another, with Mercury on her like glue, and is told that this time, the end really is nigh ... I mean, check it out, there is an Antichrist and everything! Oh, yeah, and what an Antichrist ... *facepalm* Wow, check out this guy ... *shudders*

My Thoughts: The book reminds me of the best of Terry Pratchett mixed with the best of someone like ... I don't even know, maybe Douglas Adams? But he's funny. However, it goes beyond that - after you finish laughing, you see how clever he is, because behind the humor is biting social commentary, satire on modern spirituality and dogma, and the tendency of people to just do what they are told, no matter how inane it is, because "someone" must know what is going on ... no one ever questions, and if someone does, everyone panics and goes into "pin the blame on the questioner" mode as quickly as possible, just in case the hammer falls.

My Recommendations: This is definitely a book to check out, for all these reasons, and many more. If no other reason, check it out because it is just fun and enjoyable. ( )
  Katyas | Apr 29, 2013 |
This is a whimsical story about the events leading up to the Apocalypse. The writing is very reminiscent of Douglas Adams and Christopher Fluke. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a fun read.
  grandpahobo | Mar 31, 2013 |

"Years of covering the antics of End Times cults for The Banner, a religious news magazine, have left Christine Temetri not only jaded but seriously questioning her career choice. That is, until she meets Mercury, an anti-establishment angel who's frittering his time away whipping up batches of Rice Krispy Treats and perfecting his ping-pong backhand instead of doing his job: helping to orchestrate Armageddon. With the end near and angels and demons debating the finer political points of the Apocalypse, Christine and Mercury accidentally foil an attempt to assassinate one Karl Grissom, a thirty-seven-year-old film school dropout about to make his big break as the Antichrist. Now, to save the world, she must negotiate the byzantine bureaucracies of Heaven and Hell and convince the apathetic Mercury to take a stand, all the while putting up with the obnoxious mouth-breathing Antichrist"--Cover.… (more)

Robert Kroese is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

42 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible