The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. (1968)

by Robert Coover

Every night after work, J. Henry Waugh immerses himself in his fantasy baseball league. As owner of every team in the league, Henry is flush with pride in a young rookie who is pitching a perfect game. When the pitcher completes the miracle game, Henry's life lights up. But then the rookie is killed by a freak accident, and this "death" affects Henry in ways unimaginable.--p. 4 of cover.… (more)

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
Would have been 4 stars maybe 4.5 without that last chapter. Might work for some, but not for me.

This is a weird book. I know "weird," like "nice," can sometimes be a relatively meaningless word people use to dismiss something, but sometimes, and this is one of those time, it is absolutely the right word for the job.

The reader has to follow Mr. J. Henry Waugh's transitions between the real world and his baseball universe. This, even as the man himself has problems keeping them separate himself. I enjoyed this, but it isn't for everyone.

While I was reading this book, despite everything, I found myself wanting to fire up the computer and play Out of the Park Baseball - the 21st century version of Mr. Waugh's Universal Baseball Association. ( )
  LordPetros | Mar 20, 2020 |
One should always try to keep one's fantasy life separate from the real thing, but Robert Coover has created a charming parable about that sort of thing. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jul 12, 2019 |
The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, prop. / Robert Coover (1969)
  valentinbru | Oct 2, 2018 |

“Read this book add a young kid. Being both a huge baseball fan and a huge fan of the Strat-O-Matic card based baseball game, I can only thank God that I stumbled across this book in my school library. For those reasons I absolutely loved this book and the despair and loneliness of the main character is something that resonated with me even as a young kid.” ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Jan 30, 2016 |
It is here not at all requisite to prove that such an intellectus archetypus is possible, but only that we are led to the Idea of it ...

Kant, Critique of Judgment
for Pili: co-proprietor
Bottom half of the seventh, Brock's boy had made it through another inning unscratched, one! two! three! Twenty-one down and just six outs to go! and Henry's heart was racing, he was sweating with relief and tension all at once, unable to sit, unable to think, in there, with them! Oh yes, boys, it was on! He was sure of it! More than just another ball game now: history!
Sometimes, true, in the heat of a pennant chase, for example, his daytime job could be a nuisance, but over the long haul he needed that balance, that rhythmic shift from house to house, and he knew that total one-sided participation in the league would soon grow even more oppressive than his job at Dunkelmann, Zauber & Zifferblatt. [141]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,898,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible