Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J.…

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. (1968)

by Robert Coover

English (10)  German (1)  All languages (11)
The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, prop. / Robert Coover (1969)
  valentinbru | Oct 2, 2018 |

“Read this book add a young kid. Being both a huge baseball fan and a huge fan of the Strat-O-Matic card based baseball game, I can only thank God that I stumbled across this book in my school library. For those reasons I absolutely loved this book and the despair and loneliness of the main character is something that resonated with me even as a young kid.” ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Jan 30, 2016 |
Bittersweet sometimes humorous story of a man obsessed with his solo baseball rpg -- dice rolls determine everything, as in many games --nowadays, in the post D&D world, this is normal, but in 1971 he was presented as slightly insane --he is obsessed with the game to the point that it is costing him his job and his social life. The game like many games started as a fairly simple concept --a baseball game vwith resuts of pitches etc. decided by dice rolls --but has expanded to include a wider background including political parties. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 1, 2014 |
One of my favorite books of all time. A book about an ordinary guy who lives a rich and very detailed fantasy life in a baseball game he has created (in pencil and paper, pre-computers and pre-internet). Contains some beautiful vignettes of early 1960's New York City, incidentally. J. Henry Waugh (the protagonist) is author-like, or godlike, in his devotion to his imagined world. ( )
1 vote stormville | Dec 30, 2013 |
A great baseball book, though I suppose it is only tangentially about baseball. The final chapter is pretty disturbing, as are many of the passages throughout the book when Henry seems to no longer be able to differentiate between real life and the one he's created. This book is somewhat a book of the times, with some of the stream of consciousness-hipster-beat kind of riffing that I'm not all that fond of, but overall an outstanding novel. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 22, 2012 |
It is here not at all requisite to prove that such an intellectus archetypus is possible, but only that we are led to the Idea of it ...

Kant, Critique of Judgment
for Pili: co-proprietor
Bottom half of the seventh, Brock's boy had made it through another inning unscratched, one! two! three! Twenty-one down and just six outs to go! and Henry's heart was racing, he was sweating with relief and tension all at once, unable to sit, unable to think, in there, with them! Oh yes, boys, it was on! He was sure of it! More than just another ball game now: history!
Sometimes, true, in the heat of a pennant chase, for example, his daytime job could be a nuisance, but over the long haul he needed that balance, that rhythmic shift from house to house, and he knew that total one-sided participation in the league would soon grow even more oppressive than his job at Dunkelmann, Zauber & Zifferblatt. [141]

Every night after work, J. Henry Waugh immerses himself in his fantasy baseball league. As owner of every team in the league, Henry is flush with pride in a young rookie who is pitching a perfect game. When the pitcher completes the miracle game, Henry's life lights up. But then the rookie is killed by a freak accident, and this "death" affects Henry in ways unimaginable.--p. 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,482,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible