Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Impossible (2008)

by Nancy Werlin

Series: Impossible Series (1)

Here's the short blurb: "Lucy has nine months to break an ancient curse in order to save both herself and her unborn daughter.
Inspired by the ballad "Scarborough Fair", this riveting novel combines suspense, fantasy, and romance for an intensely page-turning and masterfully original tale."

I originally picked this one up because a little bookstore rec card recommended it for fans of Twilight (particularly the teen romance aspect, there are no vamps). I really enjoyed this book. The dialogue of the teen characters was a tad unrealistic (i.e., a lot of "Yes" and no "Yeah", that kind thing). But I like to look at it as maybe idealized dialogue? I felt it fit with the story in this case. I thought maybe this would be more of a fantasy novel, but it's really not - it's a fiction tale set in the real world with a bit of fantasy thrown in to drive the drama. I liked that combination, usually I read a lot of SF and Urban Fantasy. I would recommend this to fans of Holly Black's Tithe/Valiant/Irondsides series or Melissa Marr. It hits that kind of magical, wistful, teen love note that is very satisfying. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Very... different. I can't decide if I liked it or not. The plot and ideas behind the story were very interesting but at times the characters seemed poorly developed and the dialog was amateur and chilidish. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This might possibly be a perfect book...see my full review here: http://readspace.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/review-impossible/ ( )
  susan259 | Jan 21, 2016 |
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |

Nancy Werlinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durante, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
Elaine Sylvia Romotsky Werlin
with love
On the evening of Lucy Scarborough's seventh birthday, after the biggest party the neighborhood had seen since, well, Lucy's sixth birthday, Lucy got one last unexpected gift.

Inspired by the ballad “Scarborough Fair,” this riveting novel combines suspense, fantasy, and romance for an intensely page-turning and masterfully original tale.

Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that the women of her family have been cursed through the generations, forced to attempt three seemingly impossible tasks or to fall into madness upon their child’s birth. But Lucy is the first girl who won’t be alone as she tackles the list. She has her fiercely protective foster parents and her childhood friend Zach beside her. Do they have love and strength enough to overcome an age-old evil?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Lucy discovers her family is under an ancient curse by an evil Elfin Knight, she realizes to break the curse she must perform three impossible tasks before her daughter is born in order to save them both.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,039,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible