Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Impossible (2008)

by Nancy Werlin

Series: Impossible Series (1)

Loved this book! The story itself is not a very thought provoking or reflexive one, but it was still fun to read. While being based off of the classic folk ballad "Scarborough Fair" with a straightforward plot , I still found it riveting and immensely entertaining. Lucy is fighting to break a curse she has no control over with the help of her loving family and friends. They rush against time to help her solve the curse's task before time runs out. I love the character's dynamic and realistic fears, worries, and hopes as they all work together. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
When seventeen-year-old Lucy discovers her family is under an ancient curse by an evil Elfin Knight, she realizes to break the curse she must perform three impossible tasks before her daughter is born in order to save them both.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Read this for book club. None of us could figure out why it had been recommended to us, or why it was nominated for awards. I don't think there has ever been another selection for our book club that was so universally disliked.
Reasons:
*Offensive, retrograde, disturbing implications for the young women that the book is aimed toward. An evil faerie lord has cursed the women of the protagonists' family for generations. She is doomed to be raped, have a baby, and then go crazy. But of course, having the rape-baby is the Most Important Thing! (Shades of crappy Twilight, here.)
*Messages that a young woman cannot be self-reliant. You need someone to help you, or your will won't be strong enough, and you'll fail. Also, you'll be really dumb unless you have a guy around to point obvious stuff out to you, apparently. If you're pregnant, you should marry SOMEONE, even if it's the guy who you grew up with and always treated like a brother. (eww, incest-creepy!)
*Disturbing lack of concern for the apparently very decent young man who is possessed by supernatural forces, forced to have sex with someone, and then is killed or commits suicide.
*Unrealistic, unconvincing relationships between everyone in the book. Interactions felt flat and unbelievable.
*Shallow and unrealistic portrayal of a "crazy" person.

In addition to the above, I also had a problem with the re-imagining of the song, and of Faerie itself.
I don't think Faerie should be described as "evil." I see it as amoral. Yes, it may screw with your life, but out of alien-ness, dealing with beings from a different realm. This faerie lord came across more as a Christian devil. Boring.

The 'solutions' for the impossible tasks were unimaginative and/or derived from the author's reworkings of the song. (People did actually KNOW about felting, back in the day. Cambric is a woven material. No, the shirt was never supposed to be "magical." etc.)

According to the author's note, the whole book was based on her early misunderstanding of the song "Scarborough Fair." She thought it was "romantic." Umm. No. The whole appeal of "Scarborough Fair," to me, is that it's a powerful message that says, "No, never going back to you, not ever, no way, no how." It's a "romance is over" song, not a romantic song.
So, on a personal level, I just didn't like the changing of the message of a song I really love. On an objective level, this just isn't a very good book.

The premise for this book sounded amazing, but I found it sadly disappointing. We had a good book club meeting bashing it, though!
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Here's the short blurb: "Lucy has nine months to break an ancient curse in order to save both herself and her unborn daughter.
Inspired by the ballad "Scarborough Fair", this riveting novel combines suspense, fantasy, and romance for an intensely page-turning and masterfully original tale."

I originally picked this one up because a little bookstore rec card recommended it for fans of Twilight (particularly the teen romance aspect, there are no vamps). I really enjoyed this book. The dialogue of the teen characters was a tad unrealistic (i.e., a lot of "Yes" and no "Yeah", that kind thing). But I like to look at it as maybe idealized dialogue? I felt it fit with the story in this case. I thought maybe this would be more of a fantasy novel, but it's really not - it's a fiction tale set in the real world with a bit of fantasy thrown in to drive the drama. I liked that combination, usually I read a lot of SF and Urban Fantasy. I would recommend this to fans of Holly Black's Tithe/Valiant/Irondsides series or Melissa Marr. It hits that kind of magical, wistful, teen love note that is very satisfying. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Very... different. I can't decide if I liked it or not. The plot and ideas behind the story were very interesting but at times the characters seemed poorly developed and the dialog was amateur and chilidish. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

Nancy Werlinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durante, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
Elaine Sylvia Romotsky Werlin
with love
On the evening of Lucy Scarborough's seventh birthday, after the biggest party the neighborhood had seen since, well, Lucy's sixth birthday, Lucy got one last unexpected gift.

Inspired by the ballad “Scarborough Fair,” this riveting novel combines suspense, fantasy, and romance for an intensely page-turning and masterfully original tale.

Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that the women of her family have been cursed through the generations, forced to attempt three seemingly impossible tasks or to fall into madness upon their child’s birth. But Lucy is the first girl who won’t be alone as she tackles the list. She has her fiercely protective foster parents and her childhood friend Zach beside her. Do they have love and strength enough to overcome an age-old evil?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible