Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last…

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Left Behind #1) (edition 1995)

by Tim LaHaye

Member:pennma05
Title:Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Left Behind #1)
Authors:Tim LaHaye
Info:Living Books (1995), Paperback, 342 pages
Rating:**
Tags:childhood-reads

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days by Tim LaHaye

The Anti-Christ Handbook: The Horror and Hilarity of Left Behind, Volume 1, The First 200 Pages by Fred Clark (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: An exhaustive and entertaining explanation of why Left Behind is not only bad literature, it's bad theology.
    Father Elijah: An Apocalypse by Michael D. O'Brien (gabriel)
    gabriel: Father Elijah also deals with the Last Days, but does so without the very questionable theology of Tim LaHaye. It's spiritually powerful and quite well-written.
    Godspeed, Carry My Bullet by Ian Lewis (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Though Lewis's work does not deal with the Rapture but rather with a dystopian society that resulted from a division of the U.S. into two governments with much of the Midwest being a DMZ, there are similar themes in that there is an underground/resistance movement and people on the inside working for that resistance. Also an assassination within the series.… (more)
    Certain Cure: Where Science Meets Religion by Jennifer Valoppi (rxtheresa)
    The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation by Barbara R. Rossing (SkepChris)
    SkepChris: The Book of Revelation can be read in various ways. The interpretation in the Left Behind series is extremely negative. This book can balance the scales.
    Jesus & the End Times by Michael Barber (fulner)
    fulner: You read the fictional story, now find out, what did Jesus REALLY say about the end of the world? Is the rapture even biblical?
    Rapture, Revelation, and the End Times: Exploring the Left Behind Series by Bruce David Forbes (eromsted)

Left Behind is a good novelized story of the Book of Revelation. I didn't find anything that was anti-Biblical; although many liberties were taken by the authors to fill in the blanks; but nothing that changes Scripture. I found this first book to be compelling enough to read book 2--which I did immediately following this book. This book begins with the rapture and most of the story is about those who aren't raptured and also about the U.N. who now run the G.C. (global community). 483 pages ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jun 1, 2019 |
This book made me ill. Physically ill. I still can't believe that there are people who fantasize about these things happening in real life.

I couldn't finish it. Mostly because LaHaye writes like a teenager on crack. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I received this book and the first seven sequels as a lot with three boxes of fantasy and science fiction books. I don't really know what they were doing there, but I remember looking it over and thinking the premise was terrific: following those "left behind" on Earth after the rapture, also Anti-Christ.

It had a good pace and if LaHaye and Jenkins often showed themselves as out of touch with anybody under 40, I gave them a break. Ostensibly there was a diverse cast of characters and viewpoints - and as the authors followed their own close interpretation of Revelations it was an interesting experiment(which, reminds me - why hasn't someone made a good film of Paradise Lost, or even a good biblical apocalypse movie? Legion was TERRIBLE).

I don't remember which book is was exactly, but it was fairly early, I was struck by something, the majority of the people were middle class white people with a token Chinese guy or other minority thrown in once in a while, also a lot of issues were plain side-stepped.

One character, a reporter, had recently become converted and when his city was going to shit he asked his editor to come with him and be safe in the Lord or something, and she said she was a lesbian and didn't think she'd be accepted. They face each other for a moment, and then he leaves her to be killed in the riots I suppose, because she never shows up again.

That bothered me. The only other LGBT character seemed to be some mincing artist that sculpted the anti-Christ in the nude. Way to go. A lot of other stereotypes seemed to be played up as well concerning the Chinese, Africa as a single lump-continent of one culture, angry stone-throwing Jews...it's a mess.

In the end, I suppose no one should be surprised - the series is simply poorly disguised propaganda, and the authors make no attempt to realistically or artistically interpret the scriptures they draw from or humanity's actions. ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |
Man, this thing took FOREVER! I don't know how many books there are in the series, but I know that I won't be reading them all (and judging from how much space they take up on the shelf at the library, there is a TON). The whole premise of this series is what would happen if the rapture occurred and you were one of the millions (probably billions) left behind. Rayford Steele is piloting an aircraft when a stewardess he'd been lusting after rushes into the cockpit tells him that they're suddenly missing over 100 people. At first he thinks it's a joke but he soon realizes that all their clothes have been left behind as well. One of the passengers on the plane is an award winning, international journalist named Buck. He sets about recording everything because he knows this is the biggest story of his career, hell of his lifetime! Buck, the stewardess, the pilot, and his daughter start finding their paths crossing as they try to figure out what on earth has happened to all their loved ones and how they are going to survive what comes next. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but not great either. ( )
  ecataldi | Sep 6, 2018 |

Kummer, JeroenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sondericker, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weyandt, EvaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Alice MacDonald en Bonita Jenkins,
die ervoor hebben gezorgd dat wij niet zouden worden
achtergelaten.
Rayford Steele's mind was on a woman he had never touched. With his fully loaded 747 on autopilot above the Atlantic en route to a 6 a.m. landing at Heathrow, Rayford had pushed from his mind thoughts of his family.
This is the book. Please do not combine with the movie or the Experience in Sound and Drama audio version or the graphic novel - these are an adaption of the book.
Abridged audiobook ISBNs: 0842316752, 0842343237

Rayford Steele is an airplane pilot, who's married and has two kids. His wife (Irene), goes into a small congregration about God and attends to Bible studies weekly, which irritates Rayford. This makes him feel attracted to his senior flight attendant, (Hattie Durham). Ever since Irene becomes a full-fledged religious fanatic, when Rayford day-dreams about Hattie, he feels no guilt at all. He thinks about maybe hinting her or saying something, but a certain question in mind is, "Dare he assert himself now, hours before touchdown?".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0842329129, Paperback)

Piloting his 747, Rayford Steele is musing about his wife Irene's irritating religiosity and contemplating the charms of his "drop-dead gorgeous" flight attendant, Hattie. First Irene was into Amway, then Tupperware, and now it's the Rapture of the Saints--the scary last story in the Bible in which Christians are swept to heaven and unbelievers are left behind to endure the Antichrist's Tribulation. Steele believes he'll put the plane on autopilot and go visit Hattie. But Hattie's in a panic: some of the passengers have disappeared! The Rapture has happened, abruptly driverless cars are crashing all over, and the slick, sinister Romanian Nicolae Carpathia plans to use the UN to establish one world government and religion. Resembling "a young Robert Redford" and silver-tongued in nine languages, Carpathia is named People's "Sexiest Man Alive." (This reviewer, a former People writer, finds this plot twist plausible.) Meanwhile, Steele teams up with Buck Williams, a buck-the-system newshound, to form the Tribulation Force, an underground of left-behind penitents battling the Antichrist.

Ex-presidential candidate Pat Robertson briefly outsold Michael Crichton with his apocalypse novel The End of the Age (now available on audiocassette), and the similar The Third Millennium sells well, but the Left Behind series is the absolute champion in the race to make the Book of Revelation into racy thriller reading. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

Airline captain Rayford Steele goes in search of his family and answers to how billions of people just disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible