Left Behind by Tim and Jerry B. Jenkins…

Left Behind (edition 1995)

by Tim and Jerry B. Jenkins Lahaye

Member:DougWilliams
Title:Left Behind
Authors:Tim and Jerry B. Jenkins Lahaye
Info:Tyndale House Publishers (1995), Edition: 1ST, Paperback

Left Behind by Tim LaHaye

The Anti-Christ Handbook: The Horror and Hilarity of Left Behind by Fred Clark (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: An exhaustive and entertaining explanation of why Left Behind is not only bad literature, it's bad theology.
    Father Elijah: An Apocalypse by Michael D. O'Brien (gabriel)
    gabriel: Father Elijah also deals with the Last Days, but does so without the very questionable theology of Tim LaHaye. It's spiritually powerful and quite well-written.
    Certain Cure: Where Science Meets Religion by Jennifer Valoppi (rxtheresa)
    The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation by Barbara R. Rossing (SkepChris)
    SkepChris: The Book of Revelation can be read in various ways. The interpretation in the Left Behind series is extremely negative. This book can balance the scales.
    Rapture, Revelation, and the End Times: Exploring the Left Behind Series by Bruce David Forbes (eromsted)

I started this series because my wife wanted me to read them, and since I like sharing things in common with her, I read them. Wasn't as bad as I feared, but the authors have a lot of annoying habits to create filler, such as constantly having the characters relate again and again their personal stories. Many of the characters are goody-goodies who are basically undistinguishable from each other. The Biblical research throughout is fairly shoddy, which surprised me. He took many things out of context and neglected to answer any of the objections people genuinely have about Christianity (for example, the books insist Jesus fulfills all of the Messianic prophecies, when he does not, such as being named "Immanuel," which is the prophecied name). ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |

Not just for religious folks

Whether you are a Christian or not this book speaks to us in a general sense about what it means to be human. It is also about the oldest rivals in history and human understanding: Good v. Evil. What greater villain can you imagine than the Antichrist (besides the Devil himself) for the protagonists to fight against?

This novel has a good plot and believable characters who struggle with faith (or lack thereof), family relationships, friendship, integrity, honesty, deceit, temptation, morality, patriotism, and strive for a greater understanding of the Universe and their place within it.

I would recommend this for people of any religion plus atheists. You do not need to believe in a higher power to enjoy the plot of this book or to see how people are profoundly effected by their belief systems. I do think that Christians and Jews will have a much different read than the nonreligious crowd and enjoy it for different reasons.

I was surprised that the book did not come off as being preachy, which I hate. I thought I would give it a chance and was pleasantly surprised. If you like Dystopian novels there is a good chance you will like this. ( )
  SENSpence | Nov 23, 2014 |

SENSpence | Nov 23, 2014 |
I think Buck is the sexiest man alive. ( )
  allygggggg | May 26, 2014 |
First of an as-yet uncompleted series of novels playing out the Bible's Book of Revelations. This first is gripping. I picked it off a library shelf long before I had heard of the series and was riveted. The back cover blurb was short and to the point:

In one cataclysmic moment, millions around the globe disappear.

Vehicles, suddenly unmanned, careen out of control. People are terror sticken as loved ones vanish before their eyes.

In the midst of global chaos, airline captain Rayford Steele must search for his family, for answers, for truth. As devastating as the disappearances have been, the darkest days may lie ahead. ( )
  wareagle78 | Apr 24, 2014 |

Tim LaHayeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jenkins, Jerry B.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Jenkins, Jerry B.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Voor Alice MacDonald en Bonita Jenkins,
die ervoor hebben gezorgd dat wij niet zouden worden
achtergelaten.
Rayford Steele's mind was on a woman he had never touched. With his fully loaded 747 on autopilot above the Atlantic en route to a 6 a.m. landing at Heathrow, Rayford had pushed from his mind thoughts of his family.

Rayford Steele is an airplane pilot, who's married and has two kids. His wife (Irene), goes into a small congregration about God and attends to Bible studies weekly, which irritates Rayford. This makes him feel attracted to his senior flight attendant, (Hattie Durham). Ever since Irene becomes a full-fledged religious fanatic, when Rayford day-dreams about Hattie, he feels no guilt at all. He thinks about maybe hinting her or saying something, but a certain question in mind is, "Dare he assert himself now, hours before touchdown?".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0842329129, Paperback)

Piloting his 747, Rayford Steele is musing about his wife Irene's irritating religiosity and contemplating the charms of his "drop-dead gorgeous" flight attendant, Hattie. First Irene was into Amway, then Tupperware, and now it's the Rapture of the Saints--the scary last story in the Bible in which Christians are swept to heaven and unbelievers are left behind to endure the Antichrist's Tribulation. Steele believes he'll put the plane on autopilot and go visit Hattie. But Hattie's in a panic: some of the passengers have disappeared! The Rapture has happened, abruptly driverless cars are crashing all over, and the slick, sinister Romanian Nicolae Carpathia plans to use the UN to establish one world government and religion. Resembling "a young Robert Redford" and silver-tongued in nine languages, Carpathia is named People's "Sexiest Man Alive." (This reviewer, a former People writer, finds this plot twist plausible.) Meanwhile, Steele teams up with Buck Williams, a buck-the-system newshound, to form the Tribulation Force, an underground of left-behind penitents battling the Antichrist.

Ex-presidential candidate Pat Robertson briefly outsold Michael Crichton with his apocalypse novel The End of the Age (now available on audiocassette), and the similar The Third Millennium sells well, but the Left Behind series is the absolute champion in the race to make the Book of Revelation into racy thriller reading. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:44 -0400)

After millions of people around the world vanish in one moment, in what many claim to be the Rapture, Rayford Steele begins a search for the truth amidst global chaos.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible