Dim Sum for Everyone! by Grace Lin

Dim Sum for Everyone! (2001)

by Grace Lin

Recently added byBoggs_School, private library, LoisMunger, kenjoh1987, CPCC-EDU, brucie00, annabruce, saralasalle

Dimsum For Everyone is a book written about a young girls experience eating with her family at a Chinese restaurant. I loved that the book has kitchen tools and ingredients on every page. Before I read the book, I did a picture walk. I found that even if I was unaware of what dimsum is or had never been to a chinese restaurant, I would be able to recognize that they were at a restaurant. The text has repetition that allows the readers to make predictions of what would be the next line. Also, from reading this children's book, I learned about the Asian culture and cuisines. I was able to make a connection to the family in the book because they order numerous dishes that are shared between the family members. When my family goes out to eat at a restaurant we too order multiple dishes that are then shared between each other. I loved that I was able to relate the Chinese culture to my own culture and that this book introduced me to Chinese cuisines that I may not have known prior to reading. ( )
  NoahGray | Nov 4, 2013 |
Perfect for reading to a very young audience with a bit of history and informational text thrown on at the end for those that would like to know more, this book would work well in an elementary school library. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
A simple narrative - "Ma-ma picks little dishes of sweet pork buns. / Ba-ba chooses little dishes of fried shrimp" - and bright, textured illustrations come together in Grace Lin's Dim Sum for Everyone, a picture-book celebration of the Chinese tradition of eating meals composed of many small dishes. Though the text is minimal, with one brief sentence per two-page spread, it manages to emphasize both the familial and communal nature of going out to eat Dim Sum, while also making it look fun.

Although I enjoyed this selection - chosen as the alternate sixth title for our June "culinary delights" theme, over in The Picture-Book Club to which I belong - I think I agree with some of my fellow reviewers in finding the text itself a little too minimal for my taste. On the other hand, I imagine that it will appeal to the very youngest readers, who will also appreciate the attention-grabbing illustrations. I liked Lin's use of color here, and the way her backgrounds, with their incorporation of little recurring motifs, all looked like fabric. I also appreciated the brief afterword explaining the history of Dim Sum, although I think it might also have been helpful to explain that "Jie-jie" and "Mei-mei" (used in the text) mean older and younger sister, respectively. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 18, 2013 |
While I thought this was a cute little picture book, I really cannot say that I liked the illustrations all that much; they were simply too cartoon-like for me. Also, the story itself was rather short on substance, it was sweet, but there was not much to it. As someone who used to go out for Dim Sum quite regularly, what I liked most about the book were the two back pages, which listed twenty-two Dim Sum dishes (along with both the English and Chinese names of said dishes), and the two front pages, which listed some of the ingredients and utensils used to prepare and eat Dim Sum. As an introduction to Dim Sum for a very young child, this would work very well, but older children would probably want/need more details and a stronger narrative. ( )
  gundulabaehre | Mar 31, 2013 |
Age: Primary
Review:
This book belongs to the realistic fiction genre because, in the story, a Chinese family goes to a Chinese restaurant to have dim sum. The pictures show what a dim sum restaurant looks like, and it also shows how people eat with chopsticks.
Media: acrylic ( )
  hwang11 | Mar 23, 2012 |
To Lissy, who gives my books out at dim sum restaurants

In English, dim sum means “little hearts,” or “touches the heart,” but to this young girl, dim sum means delicious. On a visit to a bustling dim sum restaurant, a family picks their favorite little dishes from the steaming trolleys filled with dumplings, cakes, buns, and tarts. And as is traditional and fun, they share their food with each other so that everyone gets a bite of everything.
Just right for young children, Dim Sum for Everyone! celebrates a cultural custom and a universal favorite activity–eating!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:08 -0400)

A child describes the various little dishes of dim sum that she and her family enjoy on a visit to a restaurant in Chinatown.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,149,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible