Dim Sum for Everyone! by Grace Lin

Dim Sum for Everyone! (2001)

by Grace Lin

Summary: Colorful picture book about a Chinese family out for a delightful meal of Dim Sum. Speaks about what Dim Sum is and some of the girl's family favorites.

Reflection: Nice book to use in the classroom of very young children to acknowledge and teach about one aspect of Chinese American culture. Includes an Author's note about the history of dim sum. ( )
  AlinaA | Mar 9, 2016 |
This books shares a Chinese meal referred to as Dim Sum. A little girl describes the meal of small plates of food, and what she and her family like best.
  andeangi | Feb 22, 2016 |
This is a very simple story about a family going to a restaurant to get Dim Sum. Some people thing Dim Dum means "touches the heart" and others think it means "little heart". There are many traditions to learn about Chinese culture in the few words in this story.
This story would be great to start a conversation with young children about different types of restaurants. I could then help them make the connection that restaurants have different foods because they are from different cultures. ( )
  MareeTos | Feb 7, 2016 |
"Dim Sum for Everyone!" is a wonderful book that shares Chinese culture and customs with the reader. The illustrations portrayed traditional Chinese clothing and shoes that are seen in Chinese culture. The author displayed the fine detail that is found on Chinese clothing, such as Jie-Jie’s decorative top. I liked the fact that I was learning many aspects of Chinese culture from reading this book. Dim Sum refers to the small dishes that were once served with tea as a snack but have now it has become popular to just eat many small dishes as a meal. The last page of the book shares different dishes that are commonly found in Dim Sum restaurants. This page displayed the names of the different foods in English as well as Chinese. I enjoyed that both languages, Chinese and English, were used to show the names of the dishes. The main idea of this book was to represent a culture, specifically Chinese food, and share Chinese customs with the reader. ( )
  vharsh1 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Dimsum For Everyone is a book written about a young girls experience eating with her family at a Chinese restaurant. I loved that the book has kitchen tools and ingredients on every page. Before I read the book, I did a picture walk. I found that even if I was unaware of what dimsum is or had never been to a chinese restaurant, I would be able to recognize that they were at a restaurant. The text has repetition that allows the readers to make predictions of what would be the next line. Also, from reading this children's book, I learned about the Asian culture and cuisines. I was able to make a connection to the family in the book because they order numerous dishes that are shared between the family members. When my family goes out to eat at a restaurant we too order multiple dishes that are then shared between each other. I loved that I was able to relate the Chinese culture to my own culture and that this book introduced me to Chinese cuisines that I may not have known prior to reading. ( )
  NoahGray | Nov 4, 2013 |
To Lissy, who gives my books out at dim sum restaurants

In English, dim sum means “little hearts,” or “touches the heart,” but to this young girl, dim sum means delicious. On a visit to a bustling dim sum restaurant, a family picks their favorite little dishes from the steaming trolleys filled with dumplings, cakes, buns, and tarts. And as is traditional and fun, they share their food with each other so that everyone gets a bite of everything.
Just right for young children, Dim Sum for Everyone! celebrates a cultural custom and a universal favorite activity–eating!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:30 -0400)

A child describes the various little dishes of dim sum that she and her family enjoy on a visit to a restaurant in Chinatown.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,841,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible