Member:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Y: The Last Man: The Deluxe Edition, Book 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

I have finally gotten around to tracking down the first deluxe volume of this highly regarded comic series. It's held up well for a ten year old series and for the most part I really enjoyed it, especially the premise. I'm not quite sure I buy the stability of the civilization after half the population is killed instantly but perhaps I've never considered what only women were the ones left to carry on. A lot of them are pretty calm about the whole thing. It's a little hard to believe. I mean, you are staring down at the end of your species in one generation. The Amazons are also a little hard to find believable. Why torch all the sperm banks? How else are you going to reproduce? Are you a death cult? If you really want all men dead, at least get impregnated and kill all baby boys, that way you are at least reproducing yourself. That part just didn't make any sense to me.
The rest however, is still pretty clever. The Last Man, a nod to Mary Shelly, is a bit of a whiner, but he is still admirable on other fronts. Vaughan can write humor fairly well, but I'm a little worried that we are going to be left in the dark as to what caused the mass die off of men or the reason is going to be shrouded in mysticism and seem implausible. I will find out soon enough because there are only 5 of these deluxe editions and they only take a couple hours to consume. So much work goes into graphic novels only to be devoured in a blink of an eye. That's the name of the game I guess. I look forward to marking this series off my read list finally. It will let me get to some the new exciting stuff that Vaughan is working on like The Private Eye series and We Stand on Guard. Can't wait. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Jul 11, 2015 |
A mysterious plague kills every being with a Y chromosome, except for a boy named Yorick Brown and his male pet monkey Ampersand. Once it's known that one man has survived, secret agent 355 is assigned to protect Yorick as he finds his way to cloning expert Dr. Mann in Boston, while other groups try to grab Yorick for their own purposes. I was a bit wary of this since I have read something else by the author that I didn't care for at all, but with recommendations coming at me from all directions, I thought I should at least give one a try and I wasn't disappointed at all. There is, of course, a multitude of things to be said about an all-women society depicted by a male author, but I'm going to leave that to those more interested in gender issues than me. The dystopian angle is what I really liked, particularly the issues of day-to-day living. There are a couple of things that irked me slightly (e.g. that the Amazons hack off the "wrong" breast and that Yorick goes nuts in Marrisville without a reason considering the whole world is in mayhem), but it's absolutely a series I plan to continue. The "Deluxe" versions of these books include two of the collected volumes as well as the script for one of the issues. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 22, 2014 |
Interesting concept and interesting story. Every male creature on the earth is dead, except Yorrick Brown and his male monkey, Ampersand, appear to be the only ones alive, the world is in chaos and women are coping in different ways with the situation. Some have become amazons, trying to eliminate all traces of men from the world, some are grasping for power. He has to survive, find some answers and throughout it all he wants to find his girlfriend who said yes just as everything went wrong.

Interesting and quite readable. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 2, 2013 |
Hmmm... I rather enjoyed this. It had a sort of 'Lost' feel to it underneath its growing post-apocalyptic setting that I dug. Pacing seems about right and it doesn't bring in TOO many characters; wondering all over the place. (i.e. The Stand)

Well written, looks great... pretty fun over all. ( )
  ninjoblio | Mar 30, 2013 |
(this review is for all five deluxe books in the series)

Y: The Last Man is one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. Funny how this should mirror Stephen King's review found on the cover. It's a well-deserved claim. A mysterious plague instantly kills all male mammals on the planet except for a young twenty something and his pet monkey. The chaos and confusion that ensues makes this such a innovative and memorable dystopia. There's Amazon gangs, lesbian encounters (with all the men gone, why not, right?), ninja assassins and just enough plausible science fiction to make the plot cohesive without being convoluted. The characters are memorable and likable, if not flawed. Inventive and original, this book transcends its own genre and can be easily enjoyed by non-comic book readers. Erotic without being gratuitous, coarse without being obscene, and graphic without being gory. It's definitely aimed at adults for several reasons but isn't so risque as to detract from the readability. All in all, I highly recommend this series. ( )
  matthew254 | May 9, 2012 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Yorick Brown, an unemployed and unmotivated slacker, discovers that he is the only male left in the world after a plague of unknown origin instantly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,525,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible