Dutch : A Memoir of Ronald Reagan by Edmund…

Dutch : A Memoir of Ronald Reagan

by Edmund Morris

I assume (with no good reason) that Morris is citing his sources accurately, but he seems to delight in presenting Reagan in a negative fashion. Note that Morris makes himself a character in the narrative, but was not actually involved in any of the events he chronicles, a controversial tactic much discussed on publication.
I learned a lot about Reagan, and admired much of it; I don't think Morris likes him nearly so well.
Compare to his previous biography of TR, a self-proclaimed progressive and omnibiblious intellectual: RR was very nearly the opposite of what Morris approved.
Addendum 2014-08-15: Just read Mark Steyn's obit of Reagan in "Passing Parade" and he agrees with me about Morris' misunderstanding of Reagan's fundamental character. Another person who just "doesn't get" Reagan is the author of "The Nightingale's Song" who starts (STARTS) with the premise that Reagan's love of America is a fraud. ( )
  librisissimo | Jan 1, 2013 |
Morris wrote way too much about himself in here. Ruined the book for me. I don't think I ever finished it - or if I did, it was completely forgettable. Yuck. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
Very contractile official biography of President Reagen, despite the critics I enjoyed the fictional narrator device.
  lesserbrain | May 29, 2009 |
This book is quite the oddball. I decided to read it after Reagan's passing, hoping to learn more about a President that served two terms in my lifetime yet I was too young to know anything about. Morris takes a tack in writing this I've never seen before. Rather than do a traditional writing of the memoir's of Reagan - he takes a smorgasbord of individuals involved in all stages of Reagan's life and mashes them all together into one fictionalized character that tells the story. Either you'll love that idea or you'll hate it. I couldn't get past it. You never quite know who the fictionalized narrator really is speaking for throughout the book, and for me, you also never know what other sort of license Morris took with the story of Reagan's life. Bravo to him for trying something new, but I didn't particularly care for it - personally if I'm reading non-fiction I want to be sure everything in it's non-fiction, that's the hump I just couldn't get over with this book. ( )
  jmcclain19 | Jun 16, 2007 |
The whole book is told from the point-of-view of a Gary Stu who conveniently and coincidentally runs into Reagan or parallels his life throughout. This self-insertion required the invention of many details; fictional end notes provide a veneer of verisimilitude, but actually make the entire work less trustworthy. I can't really suggest a better book, and I must admit this one is a page-turner, but it's definitely not the definitive biography of Reagan. ( )
  VyAch | Dec 21, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394555082, Hardcover)

Why did Pulitzer-winning Theodore Roosevelt biographer Edmund Morris controversially choose to write his authorized biography of Ronald Reagan in the form of a historical novel? There's a clue in a quote the book attributes to Jane Wyman, Reagan's first wife. As Ronnie speechified about the Red Menace at a 1940s Hollywood party, Wyman allegedly whispered to a friend, "I'm so bored with him, I'll either kill him or kill myself." This anecdote, if true, is more revealing than Nancy Reagan's charge in the book that Jane had attempted suicide to get Ronnie to marry her in the first place. Jane was no intellectual--Morris cracks that "If Jane had ever heard of Finland, she probably thought it was an aquarium"--but he found to his horror, after years of research, that he felt much the same as Wyman. Reagan was as boring as a box of rocks, as elusive as a ghost.

Decades before Alzheimer's clouded Reagan's mind, he showed a terrifying lack of human presence. "I was real proud when Dad came to my high school commencement," reports his son, Michael Reagan. After posing for photos with Michael and his classmates, the future president came up to him, looked right in his eyes, and said, "Hi, my name's Ronald Reagan. What's yours?" Poor Michael replied, "Dad, it's me. Your son. Mike."

Despite deep research and unprecedented access--no previous biography has ever been authorized by a sitting president--Morris could get no closer to Reagan's elusive soul than Reagan's own kids could. So Morris decided to dramatize Reagan's life with several invented characters--including a fictionalized version of himself and an imaginary gossip columnist who makes wicked comments on Reagan's career. This is one weird tactic, forcing the reader constantly to consult the footnotes at the back of the book to sort things out, and Morris makes it tougher by presenting his invented characters as real, even in the footnotes.

Ultimately, the hubbub over Morris's odd method is beside the point. His speculative entry into Reagan's life and mind is plausible, dramatic, literary, and lit by dazzling flashes of insight. The narrator watches the young Reagan as a lifeguard (years before the real Morris was born):

One tunnels along in a shroud of silvery bubbles, insulated from any sight or sound.... Others may swim alongside for a while, but their individuality tends to refract away, through the bubbles and the blur. Often I have marveled at Reagan's cool, unhurried progress through crises of politics and personnel, and thought to myself, He sees the world as a swimmer sees it.

We cannot verify Morris's notion that Reagan probably approved the illegal Iran-Contra funding without having a clue it was illegal, or that the "Star Wars" program sprang from his love of Edgar Rice Burroughs's first novel, A Princess of Mars, which featured glass-domed cities. But however bizarre and ignorant his thoughts were, however cold his heart, Morris believes, the guy did crush the Evil Empire and achieve greatness. Morris achieves a kind of greatness, too, but one wishes he had written a more straightforward dramatization of history. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:46 -0400)

"When Ronald Reagan moved into the White House in 1981, one of his first literary guests was Edmund Morris, the Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer of Theodore Roosevelt. Morris developed a fascination for the genial yet inscrutable President and, after Reagan's landslide reelection in 1984, put aside the second volume of his life of Roosevelt to become an observing eye and ear at the White House." "Thus began a long biographical pilgrimage to the heart of Ronald Reagan's mystery, beginning with his birth in 1911 in the depths of rural Illinois (where he is still remembered as "Dutch," the dreamy son of an alcoholic father and a fiercely religious mother) and progressing through the way stations of an amazingly varied career: young lifeguard (he saved seventy-seven lives), aspiring writer, ace sportscaster, film star, soldier, union leader, corporate spokesman, Governor, and President. Reagan granted Morris full access to his personal papers, including early autobiographical stories and a handwritten White House diary." "During thirteen years of obsessive archival research and interviews with Reagan and his family, friends, admirers and enemies (the book's enormous dramatis personae includes such varied characters as Mikhail Gorbachev, Michelangelo Antonioni, Elie Wiesel, Mario Savio, Francois Mitterrand, Grant Wood, and Zippy the Pinhead), Morris lived what amounted to a doppelganger life, studying the young "Dutch," the middle-aged Cold Warrior, and the septuagenarian Chief Executive with a closeness and dispassion, not to mention alternations of amusement, horror, and amazed respect, unmatched by any other presidential biographer."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible