Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes…

Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes (edition 2011)

by Elizabeth Bard

Member:edeninwonderland
Title:Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes
Authors:Elizabeth Bard
Info:Back Bay Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard

This had been on my list for a long time and I don't know why I never got around to reading it because it was really a lovley and charming story. I like the way the story interleaves the discovery and interweaving of a new love, with the story of moving to a new cutlure and finding one's adult path in life. The author skillfully blends the story of feeling isolated and alone in a new environment with the completeness of the romantic relationship, and she also skillfully navigates the ways in which one comes to terms with knowing oneself and sorting out one's fantasies of life in order to get at the kernel of what is true. I suppose there is more I could say, but put simply, it was a delight. ( )
  dooney | Mar 29, 2014 |
Elizabeth falls in love with a French man and moves to Paris where, after some hemming and hawing, she marries him. In many ways, however, this is just the beginning of the story. Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty to love in the recounting of this early phase of Elizabeth’s relationship with her eventual husband, Gwendal, including some very seductive recipes that I wanted to rush to my kitchen to make immediately.

The parts of Elizabeth’s experience that really spoke to me though, are the ones that go beyond the romantic ideal she seemed to be living. These are the stories about her struggles to build a new life – a stranger in a strange land. Her accounts of the loneliness she felt, how difficult it was to make friends, her attempts to understand French women’s nuanced attitudes toward food and body image, her integration into a new family. All told with an honesty that is inviting, an optimism that is inspiring, and a graceful wisdom that instructs.

The method of sharing her experiences in vignettes can sometimes feel a little choppy, simply because they can make the reader feel like there are parts of the story that are missing and you don’t want to miss one second of this engaging tale. The overall structure of the book is a success though – it is narrative and reads like a novel, but includes recipes at the end of each chapter that pair perfectly with the theme of what preceded. ( )
  booklovercook | Feb 20, 2014 |
I really loved this book, a personal story broken up by some very delicious sounding recipes that might be worth a try!

The author detailed her difficulties and achievements when it came to moving to France full time, language barrier and all. I definitely recommend it for those curious about travel to France, there are some tips worth taking on board. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
Wonderful look at the "simple" life in Paris with excellent recipes for small kitchens. The true love story is real and delightful to read. ( )
  StefanieGeeks | Mar 28, 2013 |
"It had been eight years since that first lunch in Paris, six since I'd dragged my overstuffed suitcases up the spiral stairs to Gwendal's student flat to stay. We still live on the same street, though now there are orante plaster moldings, a bathtub‑ and heat,"
Lunch in Paris is exactly like the title suggest a love story with recipes, but what it fails to mention is that Elizabeth Bard is discovering Paris one meal at a time. Alienated by it's culture, Elizabeth is forced to find herself through her savory palette not only for Gwendal but, the cuisine as well. Lunch in Paris is a great read, especially when you have a plane to France to catch (which I unfortunately did not). ( )
  edeninwonderland | Nov 13, 2012 |
"Lunch in Paris" winds its way through eight years of eating and Bard's progression from a kitchen novice intimidated by the French language and Paris' hectic markets to an adventurous shopper and experimental cook comfortable mixing French, American and other techniques. It's nearly impossible not to fall in love with her along the way. She's halfway home with her luscious description of that first steak.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031604279X, Hardcover)

In Paris for a weekend visit, Elizabeth Bard sat down to lunch with a handsome Frenchman--and never went home again.

Was it love at first sight? Or was it the way her knife slid effortlessly through her pavé au poivre, the steak's pink juices puddling into the buttery pepper sauce? LUNCH IN PARIS is a memoir about a young American woman caught up in two passionate love affairs--one with her new beau, Gwendal, the other with French cuisine. Packing her bags for a new life in the world's most romantic city, Elizabeth is plunged into a world of bustling open-air markets, hipster bistros, and size 2 femmes fatales. She learns to gut her first fish (with a little help from Jane Austen), soothe pangs of homesickness (with the rise of a chocolate soufflé) and develops a crush on her local butcher (who bears a striking resemblance to Matt Dillon). Elizabeth finds that the deeper she immerses herself in the world of French cuisine, the more Paris itself begins to translate. French culture, she discovers, is not unlike a well-ripened cheese-there may be a crusty exterior, until you cut through to the melting, piquant heart.

Peppered with mouth-watering recipes for summer ratatouille, swordfish tartare and molten chocolate cakes, Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success and discovering what it truly means to be at home. In the delicious tradition of memoirs like A Year in Provence and Under the Tuscan Sun, this book is the perfect treat for anyone who has dreamed that lunch in Paris could change their life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

"Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success, and discovering what it truly means to be at home" -- Cover.

366 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible