Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes…

Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes (edition 2011)

by Elizabeth Bard

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard

Subtitle: A Love Story, With Recipes
When Bard was a graduate student in England (art history), she took a weekend trip to Paris, where she met and had lunch with a Frenchman. And the rest, as they say, is history.

This is a charming memoir where Bard explores the many differences between French and American culture. I did get a little tired of her whining about not knowing where she was going (career wise), but I loved her descriptions of the many meals she enjoyed – from simple brioche and coffee for breakfast to elaborate lamb dishes and the mouth-watering chocolate soufflé. As I read the recipes I found myself inspired, and thinking “I could make this.” (But I know I won’t.)

On the whole, an enjoyable, fast read. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 17, 2016 |
Enjoyed the flow of recipes and story line. But...it is not julia child in Paris! ( )
  Alphawoman | Jun 11, 2016 |
not in CLAN
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Author Elizabeth Bard has a normal, somewhat privileged background and finds herself in the enviable position of moving, unwillingly at first, to Paris. Unfortunately, her American in Paris story is overly familiar and her existential crisis is unremarkable. Although her story of making a home in France is ultimately moving, in the end it feels unearned. The description of the food is great though. ( )
  Hanneri | Mar 7, 2016 |
Interesting take on Parisians which corroborates other books I have read by Americans in Paris. Some interesting recipes as well. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
"Lunch in Paris" winds its way through eight years of eating and Bard's progression from a kitchen novice intimidated by the French language and Paris' hectic markets to an adventurous shopper and experimental cook comfortable mixing French, American and other techniques. It's nearly impossible not to fall in love with her along the way. She's halfway home with her luscious description of that first steak.

I slept with my French husband halfway through our first date.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031604279X, Hardcover)

In Paris for a weekend visit, Elizabeth Bard sat down to lunch with a handsome Frenchman--and never went home again.

Was it love at first sight? Or was it the way her knife slid effortlessly through her pavé au poivre, the steak's pink juices puddling into the buttery pepper sauce? LUNCH IN PARIS is a memoir about a young American woman caught up in two passionate love affairs--one with her new beau, Gwendal, the other with French cuisine. Packing her bags for a new life in the world's most romantic city, Elizabeth is plunged into a world of bustling open-air markets, hipster bistros, and size 2 femmes fatales. She learns to gut her first fish (with a little help from Jane Austen), soothe pangs of homesickness (with the rise of a chocolate soufflé) and develops a crush on her local butcher (who bears a striking resemblance to Matt Dillon). Elizabeth finds that the deeper she immerses herself in the world of French cuisine, the more Paris itself begins to translate. French culture, she discovers, is not unlike a well-ripened cheese-there may be a crusty exterior, until you cut through to the melting, piquant heart.

Peppered with mouth-watering recipes for summer ratatouille, swordfish tartare and molten chocolate cakes, Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success and discovering what it truly means to be at home. In the delicious tradition of memoirs like A Year in Provence and Under the Tuscan Sun, this book is the perfect treat for anyone who has dreamed that lunch in Paris could change their life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

"Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success, and discovering what it truly means to be at home" -- Cover.

182 wanted3 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible