Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes…

Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes (edition 2011)

by Elizabeth Bard

Member:edeninwonderland
Title:Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes
Authors:Elizabeth Bard
Info:Back Bay Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard

Having been to Paris some years ago, reading this book makes me want to return. Elizabeth captures the essence of Paris and the differences between the French and American cultures. Elizabeth's voice is lyrical and descriptive. The book is simply a pleasant diversion, nothing stellar or radically new. At times it's heartwarming, at other times it's a bit whiny.

Some readers will want to know that the book includes mild, unnecessary profanity and non-graphic pre-marital sex. It opens with the line, "I slept with my husband halfway through our first date" and that nearly turned me off of reading it. But, while similar in tone to Under the Tuscan Sun and other such memoirs, this was a book that I ultimately enjoyed. I really loved the inclusion of so many recipes.

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Subtitle: A Love Story, With Recipes
When Bard was a graduate student in England (art history), she took a weekend trip to Paris, where she met and had lunch with a Frenchman. And the rest, as they say, is history.

This is a charming memoir where Bard explores the many differences between French and American culture. I did get a little tired of her whining about not knowing where she was going (career wise), but I loved her descriptions of the many meals she enjoyed – from simple brioche and coffee for breakfast to elaborate lamb dishes and the mouth-watering chocolate soufflé. As I read the recipes I found myself inspired, and thinking “I could make this.” (But I know I won’t.)

On the whole, an enjoyable, fast read. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 17, 2016 |
Enjoyed the flow of recipes and story line. But...it is not julia child in Paris! ( )
  Alphawoman | Jun 11, 2016 |
not in CLAN
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
"Lunch in Paris" winds its way through eight years of eating and Bard's progression from a kitchen novice intimidated by the French language and Paris' hectic markets to an adventurous shopper and experimental cook comfortable mixing French, American and other techniques. It's nearly impossible not to fall in love with her along the way. She's halfway home with her luscious description of that first steak.

I slept with my French husband halfway through our first date.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031604279X, Hardcover)

In Paris for a weekend visit, Elizabeth Bard sat down to lunch with a handsome Frenchman--and never went home again.

Was it love at first sight? Or was it the way her knife slid effortlessly through her pavé au poivre, the steak's pink juices puddling into the buttery pepper sauce? LUNCH IN PARIS is a memoir about a young American woman caught up in two passionate love affairs--one with her new beau, Gwendal, the other with French cuisine. Packing her bags for a new life in the world's most romantic city, Elizabeth is plunged into a world of bustling open-air markets, hipster bistros, and size 2 femmes fatales. She learns to gut her first fish (with a little help from Jane Austen), soothe pangs of homesickness (with the rise of a chocolate soufflé) and develops a crush on her local butcher (who bears a striking resemblance to Matt Dillon). Elizabeth finds that the deeper she immerses herself in the world of French cuisine, the more Paris itself begins to translate. French culture, she discovers, is not unlike a well-ripened cheese-there may be a crusty exterior, until you cut through to the melting, piquant heart.

Peppered with mouth-watering recipes for summer ratatouille, swordfish tartare and molten chocolate cakes, Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success and discovering what it truly means to be at home. In the delicious tradition of memoirs like A Year in Provence and Under the Tuscan Sun, this book is the perfect treat for anyone who has dreamed that lunch in Paris could change their life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

"Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success, and discovering what it truly means to be at home" -- Cover.

182 wanted3 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible