The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never…

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To (Vintage Contemporaries) (edition 2010)

by DC Pierson

3202354,982 (3.43)6
Fifteen-year-old Darren, a social misfit who spends his time at school trying not to be noticed while drawing characters for a planned film series and book tie-ins, befriends Eric, another outcast who reveals that he never sleeps.
Member:Whitaknee
Title:The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:DC Pierson
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by DC Pierson

I thought this novel was just a coming-of-age story that morphed into a a Sci/Fi thriller, but at the end I figured it was a work of magical realism. I was so confused by the end of this novel that I went back and read book reviews and they say nothing about magical realism, so maybe I am wrong about all of that. It is a book about friendship, sex, drugs, and rock and roll. It is also about when those things get in the way of each other. At any rate, I can’t figure out the ending and am not sure that I wish to do so. This was not the worst book I have read, but it certainly won’t make my best of the year list. It was not a total waste of time, but there are better geek nerd coming of age books out there. ( )
  benitastrnad | Apr 1, 2018 |
Pierson has a great writing style. Very matter-of-fact, very conversational, and very humorous. I wasn't a huge fan of the parenthesis the story was put inside - someone now telling a story that happened then - I would have rather just read the story as it was happening, instead of having it in this framework. However, the book grabbed me on the first page (of actual story) and I could hardly put it down. I don't want to say too much because it's easy to give away things that would be more amusing when read. I would also advise against reading the blurb on the back cover, which I know most people do. I actually picked this book up because of D.C.'s name (I know of him from comedy) and didn't read the blurb until I was halfway through the book, and I still felt like it spoiled a bit for me. I think the title is enough for you to know going in, and just read on from there. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
You might remember this story from the famous "Yahoo! Answers" response to someone who asked for a summary, wanting to skip the summer reading. Then D.C. Pierson himself responded, saying how disappointed he was trying to avoid it because it sounded like work, when the book is much better than other classics that could pop up on such a list. (Charlie Brown got assigned "War and Peace", and that was just for Christmas vacation!)

But the book is everything Pierson said it was. The thing is it's really rather... how do I put this... The title promises science-fiction, but it's really more literary. It only gets into supernatural stuff in the last sixth, and it has nothing to do with what takes place before. The bulk is more about two geeky friends in a typical "enjoying their comic books video games when everyone rags on that and wants them to like football". A wild girlfriend appears! to put them back on the mainstream track and drama ensues. It's a branch off the "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" tree. But I do recommend it. ( )
  theWallflower | Apr 8, 2014 |
This book is... quirky. It's mainly a story about an adolescent friendship, with all of the things that go along with that when you're in high school: cliques, girls, parties (or the lack invitations to them), parents, trying all the stuff your parents don't want you to know about. It would be a pretty standard YA story except for the fact that one of the characters never sleeps. Has never slept, will never sleep. That's odd enough, and would make for an interesting character study, but then we get the addition of some wacky fantasy-like elements.

I walked away from this book completely stumped as to whether or not the last third of the story was really meant to have happened, or if we're dealing with an unreliable narrator, psychosis, or the influence of drugs/alcohol/extremely little sleep combined with stimulants. I'm still not sure, and rather than feeling like the ambiguity is on purpose I'm left feeling like the story is a tiny bit confused. Most of it seemed very realistic in nature, but what was not realistic was really effing not realistic. And it didn't make me think "hmm, I wonder why the author made this decision. What was he trying to say?" Instead, I felt like it was a situation where, much like the two teenage boy protagonists, the decisions were made because they were cool and fun. Is that the point? To put you in the mind of a teenage boy more fully? I've never been one, so it's hard to be sure.

This is a fast read with some interesting characters, but the muddled story kept me from truly loving it. ( )
  librarymeg | Jul 5, 2013 |
Way too wild and fun. The story didn't keep drawing me back quickly from other books for at least the first half of the book, although there were a lot of things I liked about the way it was written, and the characters. However, I was sure, through most of the lengthy development that it was going to take off at some point. I could just see it happening. It did, and I finished the rest from that point in the same evening. Another very good and unique story.

I'm shelving this as YA even though the reference I use for that doesn't list it that way, probably because of the presence of the sex scene witnessed by the narrator. That and the other references to the subject were perfectly fitting for the story and I've seen the same in other novels listed as YA. Not so sure about how fitting it is for, perhaps under 16 or so. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,721,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible