You're a Horrible Person, But I Like…

You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice…

by The Believer

103None116,640 (2.86)2
Recently added byLex.Pearce, Dureo, private library, Areopagite, kateminasian, slk33, Nrrfhrrdrr, markatpie, Klp.Krista

I don't have much to say about this one; it's a collection of sarcastic/sometimes funny advice from The Believer's "Sedaratives" column. It does exactly what it says on the tin. There are a lot of comedians I like represented here, a bunch of Daily Show correspondents and people like Sarah Vowell, Aziz Ansari, and Amy Sedaris (of course). There were a few people I didn't recognize and a few I don't really like, but not as many as I expected.

The problem I had with You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You is that it was sort of boring, but not enough for me to put it down. Does that make sense? I read it in a couple of days, but about halfway through I realized that it should probably have been read in short bursts because it was too much of the same thing when read for an hour at a time, but I was already halfway through so I just wanted to finish it.

Not the worst "funny" thing I've ever read but I wouldn't classify it as hilarious, maybe amusing in moderation. It probably works better as a monthly feature.

(two-and-a-half stars) ( )
  karinnekarinne | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book poses as a series of advice columns by people that very few of us would think to ask for advice. Though the format makes it impossible to just 'sit down and read' you will find yourself entertained fairly consistantly. This goes doubly so if you already know who I refer to when I say the names "Tim and Eric" and "Mike Show and Black". ( )
  manandwife | Apr 10, 2011 |
[close] Dear Pete,
I'm thinking of reading this book, but I'm not sure if it's a good use of my time. Also, I have foot pain. What should I do?

-Foot Pain in Brisbane

Dear Foot Pain,

Let's start with the book.

The concept of this book is hilarious and maybe undersold. The idea is that people write in with their Dear-Abby-Esque questions and then receive advice. BUT that advice comes from a linup of comedians and comedy writers, probably the worst people to ask.

Because there are something like 30 different writers, the entries are pretty uneven. Some of the best include Amy Sedaris, Jim Gaffigan, and Marc Maron, who gives a piece of advice to a lady about talking dirty that is just about the funniest one-liner this side of...I don't know, Wayne's World II?

There's not much reason to get too specific about who was shitty, but the more meta the writers got, the less entertaining. A lof of them used the string of letters to create a second-layer comedy scenario, and that generally didn't work for me.

My advice would be to read it for free in the bookstore while nursing a chai so long that there's a milk skin on top.

As far as the foot pain goes, I would say that you should probably stop sleeping around, maybe then your foot wouldn't hurt so bad. Or maybe it wouldn't make any difference. But either way, stopping sleeping around is probably a good choice.

Best,
Pete ( )
2 vote helpfulsnowman | Sep 7, 2010 |

A collection of articles, letters, and essays by actors, comedians, and writers about a variety of topics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible