Storm Prey by John Sandford

Storm Prey

by John Sandford

Series: Lucas Davenport (20)

Well...a mixed reaction. Although I am not surprised after having read a few of the earlier reviews. Shheesh I have to avoid doing that from now on. Anyway here is my take. I'd agree with those who are fed up with Weather (and perhaps even THE weather)She is a useless drain an anti climatic antihero. the combined arrogance of all the characters also grates upon my nerves. Lucas Davenport being the biggest of them all. Too smug, too sure, too...TOO. I'm pleased I've read most of his novels but they have become increasingly tedious. The plot of this particular story was interesting and I felt it held the attention span and was fast paced enough to keep one turning the pages. The let down, mentioned by others was the shallow depth of the villains. The were rather subhuman in intelligence and presented no real challenges. Just once it might be nice to see some loose ends or a surprise ending. I know everyone likes a happy ending, but I would not have been overly sad to see Weather or the overly slick lady's man, Virgil Flowers, get blown away just to add a little twist of wowism to an otherwise dreary plot. I know I said tat it was an interesting read and it was, it just lacked the sparkle of yore that I had been used to. Finally, Lucas Davenport the big boss, the big guy and the big mouth, does not cut it for me any longer. I need a realistic hero, one who screws up, makes mistakes and does not run around in hand stitched Italian footwear. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
From Publishers Weekly Starred Review. At the start of bestseller Sandford's superb 20th Lucas Davenport thriller (after Wicked Prey), the getaway vehicle from a botched early morning robbery, which results in a pharmacy employee's death, almost collides with the car driven by Lucas's surgeon wife, Weather Karkinnen. Weather, who was on her way to work at the Minnesota Medical Research Center, becomes a key witness. Sandford masterfully handles both sides of the equation as the thievesplanner Lyle Mack, his brother, Joe, and their henchmen—work to cover their crime. The investigation belongs to Minneapolis deputy chief Marcy Sherrill, but Lucas of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension pulls out all the stops to protect his wife. Sandford creates additional drama throughout as Weather and a skilled team of doctors perform an operation to separate twins joined at the skull. Sharply drawn characters, intricate plotting, and smooth dialogue make this a sure-fire winner. 500,000 first printing; author tour. (May)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. From It was an inside job, and it should have been easy. Rob the pharmacy at Minneapolis’ largest hospital: in, out, wait till things cool down, and then sell the drugs for a half million or so. But the old man had to be a hero. Who knew he’d be on blood thinners and die after he was kicked? A robbery turned murder means Lucas Davenport and his Bureau of Criminal Apprehension team are called in to assist the investigation. There’s another element to the case for Davenport: his wife, Weather, a surgeon at the hospital, may be able to identify one of the killers. The case starts to escalate. An attempt is made on Weather’s life. The bodies of two motorcycle gang members are found in a rural area. Davenport guesses the gang is imploding from the pressure and murdering its members. Weather, under 24-hour guard, is part of a surgical team working to separate conjoined twins in a procedure that’s captured the attention of the world’s media. Meanwhile, Davenport and his team keep finding bodies of likely robbers but can’t seem to isolate either the brains behind the theft or the hospital insider who pointed them at the pharmacy. The twenty-second Prey novel includes most of the elements readers expect: sharp plot, snappy dialogue, and believable action, but the background playfulness and gallows humor that usually fill in the gaps are in short supply. But hey, that’s nitpicking. On balance, this is another fine entry in a wildly popular series. --Wes Lukowsky
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Engaging page turning. Weather, (a surgeon) is involved in a team effort to separate conjoined twins. Because of what she saw on thefirst morning, that would allow her to identify some criminals, she is doing this as criminals are trying to identify and kill her.

Sandford's plots and the stupid escalation of the bad guys in the midst of Minnesota winter kept me glued to the pages and up entirely too late. I usually don't like too much of the bad guys' POV, but Sandford makes it work.

A purist might wonder at the number of villians who target our protaganists but as a fan I really don't care. It's also nice to read about characters who are happily married and have their lives and careers.

Really annoyed that I stupidly advance purchased it in ePub though. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
An early morning operation to separate conjoined twins puts Weather in the line of fire when she witnesses the get-away of three big men after they steal a million or so in drugs from the hospital pharmacy. Panicking thieves, a cold-blooded wanna-be hitman and a coke-addict with delusions of grandeur... it's a complicated plot, but Davenport's in fine form.

Sanford just gets better and better. ( )
  SunnySD | Apr 5, 2013 |
Before you ask, I skipped books 1-19. My friend, who I have know for years and never knew her to do much straight pleasure reading, if you don’t know what I mean, she would read books on child rearing, her children has disabilities, so she has books on dealing with that, books to help with her job etc. Recently she bought an iPad, then she discovered iBooks. Then our conversations became littered with referenced to John Sandford and a cop in Minnesota who drove a Porsche and had a daughter and a wife. I decided I needed to read one (or two) of these books to see what the fuss was all about. So I headed to the library, not a lot of ebooks to borrow for this series. This and the other one I’m going to review were all that was available.

The story starts with the robbery of a hospital pharmacy, as so often happens, things go wrong and one of the robbers kills one of the workers. As they are leaving the hospital they are spotted by Weather Karkinnen, the wife of Lucas Davenport. Things go from bad to worse for the robbers and as this makes things get much more interesting for the reader. Lucas calls in his “pack” to protect Weather, the robbers hire a (psycho)killer to go after her, there is a doctor working with the robbers feeding them information. Did I mention the killer is psycho?

There are multiple story lines, the search for the robbers conducted by the police and aided by Lucas and his investigators, the robbers actions to cover their tracks and eliminate those who are ‘weak links’, the doctor and his cocaine addiction that lead to the robbery, a delicate operation to separate twins joined at the head, and Lucas actions to protect his wife. Through all this the reader knows all, we walk along with the robbers, with the doctor and with Lucas. At times I was wondering, Lucas has to find this out! How is he going to do that?

Since I read true crime there were times when I said, “That’s not how that works!” But then, things could be different in Minnesota. This was a fast paced story, the action went at a good pace, not breathless but not plodding. For Lucas being referred to as a ‘killer’ I didn’t see much evidence of that, there were not any wild west shoot-outs. There were some references to past events, but having not read any of the previous books I was able to follow along the story, if anything the past remarks made me want to go back and read some of the old one. If I had the time and didn’t have a mountain of books to read already.

An enjoyable book that I would recommend to mystery/detective story fans. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Apr 4, 2013 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three of them, hard men carrying nylon bags, wearing work jackets, Carhartts and Levi's, all of them with facial hair.

Weather Karkinnen, surgeon, wife of an investigator named Lucas Davenport, unwittingly witnesses the robbery of the hospital pharmacy where she works. With the death of a pharmacy worker on their hands, the three thieves set out to find out who Weather is, and eliminate the only possible witness ....… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,107,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible