Storm Prey by John Sandford

Storm Prey

by John Sandford

Series: Lucas Davenport (20)

Recently added byprivate library, rileylucas, ELHS-TELSS-Library, rbtullis, Sharon_Chaffin, PatCrum, GregPGill

During John Sandford's "Storm Prey" four men rob a hospital pharmacy. When one of the employees tries to call for help, one of the robbers kicks him so hard, the older man dies of complications.

The robbers also had an inside man who let them into the hospital. Later, we learn about him and his dependency on drugs that caused him to be part of the robbers' scheme.

Lucas Davenport's wife, Weather Karkinnen. is a plastic surgeon at the hospital. She's involved in a major surgical procedure where many of the hospital staff are working together to separate two little girls joined at the head. As Weather came to work on the day of the robbery, she got a good view of the driver of the get away car.

Much of the remainder of this engrossing novel deals with the robbers having a fallout between themselves and attempting to eliminate anyone who could identify them.

They aren't killers so they hire a crazed young killer from California. When the shooter, Cappy, attempts to shoot Weather on her way home from work, we are thrilled by her observing the would be assassin and turning the table on him. She's a true cop's wife and alert to circumstances that get in her way.

The reader gets an immediate sense of drama that the author is noted for in his wonderful series involving the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Lucas Davenport and his leading detective, Virgil Flowers.

The story moves swiftly - so much so that I kept putting off my dinner so I could read the next exciting segment.

It is interesting to watch Lucas, Virgil and various police departments join in the search. The compulsive story continues chapter by chapter until its exciting climax. ( )
  mikedraper | Jun 18, 2015 |
The brilliant new Lucas Davenport thriller from the #1 New York Times-bestselling author. "Sandford's track record as a best0selling author is amazing, but it's not an accident," wrote Booklistof Wicked Prey. "His plotting is sharp, his villains are extraordinarily layered, and his good guys are always evolving. And this time, there's a storm brewing...Very early, 4:45, on a bitterly cold Minnesota morning, three big men burst through the door of... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 2, 2015 |
Before you ask, I skipped books 1-19. My friend, who I have know for years and never knew her to do much straight pleasure reading, if you don’t know what I mean, she would read books on child rearing, her children has disabilities, so she has books on dealing with that, books to help with her job etc. Recently she bought an iPad, then she discovered iBooks. Then our conversations became littered with referenced to John Sandford and a cop in Minnesota who drove a Porsche and had a daughter and a wife. I decided I needed to read one (or two) of these books to see what the fuss was all about. So I headed to the library, not a lot of ebooks to borrow for this series. This and the other one I’m going to review were all that was available.

The story starts with the robbery of a hospital pharmacy, as so often happens, things go wrong and one of the robbers kills one of the workers. As they are leaving the hospital they are spotted by Weather Karkinnen, the wife of Lucas Davenport. Things go from bad to worse for the robbers and as this makes things get much more interesting for the reader. Lucas calls in his “pack” to protect Weather, the robbers hire a (psycho)killer to go after her, there is a doctor working with the robbers feeding them information. Did I mention the killer is psycho?

There are multiple story lines, the search for the robbers conducted by the police and aided by Lucas and his investigators, the robbers actions to cover their tracks and eliminate those who are ‘weak links’, the doctor and his cocaine addiction that lead to the robbery, a delicate operation to separate twins joined at the head, and Lucas actions to protect his wife. Through all this the reader knows all, we walk along with the robbers, with the doctor and with Lucas. At times I was wondering, Lucas has to find this out! How is he going to do that?

Since I read true crime there were times when I said, “That’s not how that works!” But then, things could be different in Minnesota. This was a fast paced story, the action went at a good pace, not breathless but not plodding. For Lucas being referred to as a ‘killer’ I didn’t see much evidence of that, there were not any wild west shoot-outs. There were some references to past events, but having not read any of the previous books I was able to follow along the story, if anything the past remarks made me want to go back and read some of the old one. If I had the time and didn’t have a mountain of books to read already.

An enjoyable book that I would recommend to mystery/detective story fans. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
This book wasn't bad for a crime thriller, but it's not really my type of book. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Typical Lucus Davenport mystery, but entertaining Book on CD ( )
  ZachMontana | Aug 22, 2014 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three of them, hard men carrying nylon bags, wearing work jackets, Carhartts and Levi's, all of them with facial hair.

Weather Karkinnen, surgeon, wife of an investigator named Lucas Davenport, unwittingly witnesses the robbery of the hospital pharmacy where she works. With the death of a pharmacy worker on their hands, the three thieves set out to find out who Weather is, and eliminate the only possible witness ....… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,040,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible