Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Knitwear Design Workshop: The Comprehensive…

Knitwear Design Workshop: The Comprehensive Guide to Handknits

by Shirley Paden

First, this is NOT just a pattern book. Think of it more as an upper level course in The Math of Knitting. OH! NO! I said the “M” word!!!!

Like a lot of people, I grew up being told that “Girls Don’t Do Math”. Yes, it is stupid, unconscionable and deadly to the female psyche, but growing up where I did, it is just the way it was. Of course, later, I got a math degree just to prove “Them” wrong. :-)

“Knitwear Design Workshop” should be used as a math class in school. Ms. Paden takes the math of designing knitting patterns and makes it easy. This is, literally, a step-by-step guide to planning your own knitting design. From researching your idea, Ms. Paden leads you through all levels of design, from selecting yarns to selecting your silhouette. Bodies, shoulders, armholes, necklines (my personal bug-a-boo) and finishing techniques are all covered in simple steps with clear and concise formulas. This is, literally, a step-by-step guild to the perfect knitting project! ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
Shirley Paden takes us through the step by step process of designing a knitwear item. It is not a light read, but not too technical to turn the average knitting reader off.
It is very thorough, with info on how to narrow down your design idea, select yarn, swatch properly, and best of all, how to do the MATH to get a great fit!!! She does state that she is not trying to teach the reader how to be an industry knitwear pattern designer, that this book is for the knitter who wants to do something original for their purposes. That being said MUCH of this book invaluable to the aspiring knitwear designer.
The patterns she shares are very pretty and some, like the one on the cover, are show-stoppers. Her sizing charts are extensive and the beautiful fashion illustrations are inspirational. There is even a section at the end that explains HOW the math works.
This book was worth every penny I spent on it. ( )
  mjleavittdesigns | Apr 17, 2011 |
This is a great book. It really breaks down designing your own knitted clothes, formula based. Great how-to and reference. I would have liked to seen more information on top down and seamless knitting; after purchasing the book and reading further, I have found some simpler construction methods online or from other sources.

There were many short examples where the pattern was not provided; for the price of this book, I would have liked at least a link to a free download (some of the patterns are her older works). ( )
1 vote laurazlsk | Apr 7, 2011 |

From the initial spark of inspiration to the sewing of the last seam, this advanced manual to knitwear design provides knitters with the foundation to take their projects to the next level. The five exceptional projects demonstrate the level of uniqueness and beauty that can be achieved with these expert techniques and how to achieve the elusive "perfect fit" that defines a successful end product. Knitters will gain a clearer understanding of commercial pattern instructions, improve their attention to detail with a meaningful test swatch, and acquire a stronger knowledge of proper body and garment measurements.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible