The Mistaken Wife by Rose Melikan

The Mistaken Wife (edition 2010)

by Rose Melikan

Member:Librararian8
Title:The Mistaken Wife
Authors:Rose Melikan
Info:Touchstone (2010), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 417 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Your library
Rating:*****

The Mistaken Wife by Rose Melikan

the third instalment in the onging story of Mary Finch and Captain Robert Holland, this time the story sees Mary in France, during the French Revolution, married, in name only, to an American artist, trying to uncover what's going on with an inventor in Paris.

You know I'm pretty sure that's why she was in Paris, however I'm not 100% sure This felt like the author had done a lot of research about the period in France and needed to get Mary there, damn any stretches of logic that there may have been. The bad guy was almost twirling his moustaches near the ned and I honestly wasn't impressed. The first book I found every enjoyable but this one left me feeling cold. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 31, 2012 |
I can say that while it was not majorly important to read in order, I think it would have been nice to know Mary and company a little bit better before The Mistaken Wife. Especially the scoop between Mary and Captain Holland - not to mention, learn more about Cuthbert Shy, the man behind Mary's spy adventures, the man who knew everything and everyone. Anyhow, I think I would have reacted better if I stayed on English shores a little while longer and not lunge across the ocean to spy on France.

Historical fiction is a hit-or-miss for me, and The Mistaken Wife will be more "miss" than "hit" for me this time around. I still might check out the 1st two books to see if I'd like them better, but quite frankly I'm not sure if this time period suits me. ( )
  theepicrat | Nov 19, 2010 |

It is the autumn of 1797. The war between the British and the French is being fought not just openly but also in secret by a network of spies. Reluctant heiress Mary Finch is no stranger to adventure, but even she hesitates before accepting this assignment: to travel secret by a network of spies. Reluctant heiress Mary Finch is no stranger to adventure, but even she hesitates before accepting this assignment: to travel secretly to Paris and disrupt vital Franco-American negotiations. She must rely wholly upon a stranger while deceiving her "dearest friend," Captain Robert Holland. Once in France, Mary's safety rests on a knife-edge, and her colleague has secrets of his own. Undaunted, she sets about her task with wit, stealth, and determination. But she is not the only spy in Paris, and there is more than one British life in jeopardy if she fails. As implacable enemies join forces against her, Mary may lose everything.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,952,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible