The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, No. 3) by…

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, No. 3) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dan Brown

Member:debavp
Title:The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, No. 3)
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Doubleday Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 528 pages
Tags:Fiction, Series, GW, HB, Used, Read, Review Pending, 2Mom, 2Joyce, Donated

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (2009)

2009 (86) 2010 (67) adventure (107) audiobook (43) conspiracy (105) Dan Brown (112) ebook (67) fiction (999) Freemasonry (84) Freemasons (158) hardcover (49) history (55) Kindle (71) Masons (159) mystery (444) novel (109) read (124) read in 2009 (58) read in 2010 (44) religion (95) Robert Langdon (196) series (45) suspense (192) symbology (71) symbols (105) thriller (593) to-read (117) USA (48) Washington (58) Washington DC (226)
    The Fire Gospel: The Myth of Prometheus by Michel Faber (2810michael, 2810michael)
    2810michael: Must be read after reading Brown. I think it's written to the fans of Dan Brown - and to others...
    2810michael: Necessary to read after Dan Brown...
    The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry (Scottneumann)
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (PghDragonMan)
    Mercy by David Kessler (Anonymous user)
    Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (PghDragonMan)
    Los Renglones Torcidos De Dios (Spanish Edition) by Torcuato Luca De Tena (Clarisma)
    Clarisma: No tengo palabras para describir tanto libro en tan pocas páginas, y si tuviera palabras no serían suficiente para expresar los sentimientos que muestra la historia, que te atrapa y te hace sentir dentro del psiquiátrico.

English (497)  Dutch (12)  Spanish (10)  German (6)  French (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (542)
Decent read. Fast paced adventure in most places, though it got lecturesque in places.

Fun to read this if you are in or near DC, or are otherwise familiar with it.

Could have been shorty and less talky in places. It seemed to be setting itself up a bit to be a movie like the other Langdon books have become. ( )
  TyUnglebower | Jun 28, 2014 |
This was and amazing book! Though, it follows Robert Langdon, I honestly think that Langdon is an overdone character in Dan Brown's novels using him. ( )
  Taralovesherpaper | Jun 5, 2014 |
I liked it. I thought parts were a little more forced than The DaVinci Code/Angels and Demons, but the storyline was very intriguing. Symbolism in America? Why not?? ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
OK, so if you hated The DaVinci Code, you'll probably hate this, too. But I enjoy a little bit of entertainment now and then, despite whether or not the details are exactingly accurate or the theory's at all plausible. I'm just in it for the story, KWIM? And Dan Brown does entertain, as long as you're not looking for a cerebral powerhouse of a novel.

I was especially interested to read this one once I discovered it involved the Freemasons. I'll admit that I know nary a detail about what the Masons actually do, but I keep hearing all about their supposed similarity to Mormonism. Let me just say right now: if any of the details about the Masons' rituals are accurate, there is NO resemblance. I didn't recognize a thing, and I was a little frightened to think that there are people out there who believe that's what we're doing inside the temple. Strange as it may seem that we keep quiet about our ceremonies, I promise there's no fake death, no coffins, no drinking out of skulls...you get the picture. But I was interested to read about all of it, and could definitely see how easily it could all be taken out of context. There's certainly some similarity between our organizations there.

In any event, it was a decent read. A bit of intrigue, a bit of puzzle-solving, a bit of entertainment. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
In the end, as with “The Da Vinci Code,” there’s no payoff. Brown should stop worrying about unfinished pyramids and worry about unfinished novels. At least Spielberg and Lucas gave us an Ark and swirling, dissolving humans. We don’t get any ancient wisdom that “will profoundly change the world as you know it” — just a lot of New Agey piffle about how we are the gods we’ve been waiting for. (And a father-son struggle for global domination, as though we didn’t get enough of that with the Bushes.)

There are moments of excitement in this skilfully edited, deeply implausible thriller. At times the suspense is prolonged rather than sustained, but the 500 pages turn steadily and the overall effect is entertaining and certainly family-friendly. The Lost Symbol is violent but remarkably chaste and devoid of profanity.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Simon Caterson (Sep 19, 2009)

If you hate Dan Brown, you're going to hate this book.

It seems Brown has decided to irk his critics by repeating every flaw he's been accused of. ...

No, it's not Foucault's Pendulum. It doesn't even come close. However, if you liked Dan Brown's previous books you're likely to enjoy this one. There is some interesting trivia about the history of Washington, DC which is in fact true, which is an added bonus.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, Tom (Sep 17, 2009)

It’s true, his style is as baldly prosaic as legend, but there remains a heft to his potboilers that is hard to imitate. He is better at conveying claustrophobia and breathlessness than, say, the explosion of a top-secret lab (“fragments of titanium mesh . . . droplets of melted silicon” etc) but the latter will make a juicier scene come the inevitable Tom Hanks movie, and the author knows this.
added by Shortride | editThe Times, Andrew Collins (Sep 16, 2009)

As a thriller, "The Lost Symbol" is exciting, although readers of "The Da Vinci Code" will notice that some of the same stock characters and creaky plot devices pop up... As District of Columbia resident, I must say that Mr. Brown does a first-rate job of delivering a Cook's tour with duly sinister overtones of Washington's famous sites... It's when Mr. Brown interrupts his storytelling to deliver one of his many lectures on Christian ­intolerance—with pointed digs at the American ­religious right—that "The Lost Symbol" becomes a ­didactic bore.

Brown, Danprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boldrini, AlexandreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Conde, ClaudiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Defert, DominiqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drolsbach, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pereira, Carlos,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To live in the world without becoming
aware of the meaning of the world is
like wandering about in a great library
without touching the books.

The Secret Teachings
of All Ages
For Blythe
The secret is how to die.
Neckties had been required six days a week when Langdon attended Phillips Exeter Academy, and despite the headmaster's romantic claims that the origin of the cravat went back to the silk fascalia worn by Roman orators to warm their vocal cords, Langdon knew that, etymologically, cravat actually derived from a ruthless band of "Croat" mercenaries who donned knotted neckerchiefs before they stormed into battle. To this day, this ancient battle garb was donned by modern office warriors hoping to intimidate their enemies in daily boardroom battles.

The Lost Symbol is a masterstroke of storytelling—a deadly race through a real-world labyrinth of codes, secrets, and unseen truths all under the watchful eye of Brown's most terrifying villain to date. Set within the hidden chambers, tunnels, and temples of Washington, D.C., The Lost Symbol accelerates through a startling landscape toward an unthinkable finale.

The Capitol Building, Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon believes he is here to give a lecture. He is wrong. Within minutes of his arrival, a shocking object is discovered. It is a gruesome invitation into an ancient world of hidden wisdom.

When Langdon’s mentor, Peter Solomon – prominent mason and philanthropist – is kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend’s life is to accept this mysterious summons.

It is to take him on a breathless chase through Washington’s dark history. All that was familiar is changed into a shadowy, mythical world in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385504225, Hardcover)

Let's start with the question every Dan Brown fan wants answered: Is The Lost Symbol as good as The Da Vinci Code? Simply put, yes. Brown has mastered the art of blending nail-biting suspense with random arcana (from pop science to religion), and The Lost Symbol is an enthralling mix. And what a dazzling accomplishment that is, considering that rabid fans and skeptics alike are scrutinizing every word.

The Lost Symbol
begins with an ancient ritual, a shadowy enclave, and of course, a secret. Readers know they are in Dan Brown territory when, by the end of the first chapter, a secret within a secret is revealed. To tell too much would ruin the fun of reading this delicious thriller, so you will find no spoilers here. Suffice it to say that as with many series featuring a recurring character, there is a bit of a formula at work (one that fans will love). Again, brilliant Harvard professor Robert Langdon finds himself in a predicament that requires his vast knowledge of symbology and superior problem-solving skills to save the day. The setting, unlike other Robert Langdon novels, is stateside, and in Brown's hands Washington D.C. is as fascinating as Paris or Vatican City (note to the D.C. tourism board: get your "Lost Symbol" tour in order). And, as with other Dan Brown books, the pace is relentless, the revelations many, and there is an endless parade of intriguing factoids that will make you feel like you are spending the afternoon with Robert Langdon and the guys from Mythbusters.

Nothing is as it seems in a Robert Langdon novel, and The Lost Symbol itself is no exception--a page-turner to be sure, but Brown also challenges his fans to open their minds to new information. Skeptical? Imagine how many other thrillers would spawn millions of Google searches for noetic science, superstring theory, and Apotheosis of Washington. The Lost Symbol is brain candy of the best sort--just make sure to set aside time to enjoy your meal. --Daphne Durham