Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael…

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

by Michael Pollan

Recently added byKariGoe, private library, rlangston, krwerner, bostonian71, mcbuchanan, eomalley, kerrygiven

English (78)  Spanish (1)  All languages (79)
Straightforward, commonsensical list of "policies" designed to move readers toward healthier eating habits. I was glad to borrow this from the library since this isn't the most substantial book (lacking either the heft or the context of "The Omnivore's Dilemma"), but I do appreciate Pollan's recommendations and reminders, and look forward to getting more of the history and science from this book's immediate predecessor, "In Defense of Food." ( )
  bostonian71 | Sep 4, 2014 |
If you've read In Defense of Food, you won't learn anything new from this little book. It outlines some of the main points from his longer book to be more accessible to people. Same ideas without all the scientific, political, and sociological details. ( )
  jewels1864 | Aug 4, 2014 |
Simple, effective, and very true. If I had epic amounts of money, I'd buy this book in heaps and distribute among the masses for free. If you haven't got an obsession with nutrition, like some of us *cough*, but would still like to eat healthier, please read this book. It takes about an hour, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. And it's an hour very well spent. ( )
  cupocofe | Jul 25, 2014 |
Nice summary of Pollan's overall conclusions, rendered in commonsense language. Very short for $11, so I read it all in the bookstore (sorry, Borders). I am still tempted to buy a copy to hand to acquaintances who regale me with the wonders of their protein shake or other food-like substance. ( )
  elsiereads | Jan 2, 2014 |
Following Pollan's other food related works, Food Rules is a slim volume of rules for eating real food and being healthier as a result. Some of the rules here were presented in his previous works but are useful to see again, along with his new rules.

The best part about this book is that it flies in the face of fad diets and other nutritional books which advise you to stop eating a specific type of food or nutrient. Pollan's approach is much more holistic and sensible, sticking to basic facts without getting into the microscopic.

dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
For my mother,
who always knew butter was better for you
than margarine
Eating in our time has gotten complicated---needlessly so, in my opinion.
"It's not food if it came from the window of your car."
"The banquet is in the first bite."
"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."
"Eat only foods that will eventually rot."
"Better to pay the grocer than the doctor."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014311638X, Paperback)

A Look Inside Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Michael Pollan's definitive compendium, Food Rules, is here brought to colorful life with the addition of Maira Kalman's beloved illustrations.

placeholder image

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:24 -0400)

Presents a set of rules for eating wisely in accordance with a variety of ethnic and cultural traditions, sharing guidelines for making grocery choices and dining out.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,823,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible