Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by…

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

by Michael Pollan (Author)

English (81)  Spanish (1)  All languages (82)
Just finished. I want to get my own copy because ideally, I'd read a little every morning with breakfast. That would get me into an eat-wisely frame of mind for the day.

My absolute FAVORITE rule is "Be the Kind of Person Who Takes Supplements -- Then Skip the Supplements." Runner-up is "It's Not Food if It's Called by the Same Name in Every Language (Think Big Mac, Cheetos, or Pringles." ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Michael Pollan has written several books about food, particularly describing the causes and dangers of unsustainable food production and the threats to human health. The omnivore's dilemma. A natural history of four meals, which appeared in 2007, is seen as the most theoretical of these books, providing a theoretical underpinning of Pollan's ideas with regard to the current food situation in the world, the United States in particular. In defense of food. An eater's manifesto is a more practical explanation of what Pollan proposes as a possible solution for the problem, particularly what people should do, and what choices to make to adopt a healthier lifestyle. The book promotes an elitist view of food safety, and although anyone could make these choices and follow the author's advice, he assumes that the lifestyle he promotes is "not for everyone", and that the low-class, non-white population will most likely be left behind, a fate the author seems to have no problem with. The most practical of these books is Food rules. An eater's manual. It gives very clear, short advice what to eat and what not. The book is very easy to read and very effective in getting its message across. ( )
  edwinbcn | Feb 7, 2015 |
I loved this book, including the charming art of the illustrated edition. It was a library grab but I'm going to need to get a copy for myself because I've already been mentally referring to certain rules as I go about my daily life and I don't want to forget any of them. We hear all the time about how changing our eating habits, relationship to food and lifestyle is the key to healthy eating habits, but this book makes those goals seem simple, reasonable and accessible. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
A very quick read with text only on every other page! Mainly aimed at a US market but the points made are valid and worth emphasising elsewhere as well. ( )
  rlangston | Jan 3, 2015 |
Michael Pollan expands his now-famous dictum "Eat food. Mostly plants. not too much." to a set of 64 (!) rules for eating. There's some wisdom here -- eat slow, eat whole foods, eat with friends -- but also some self-righteousness and outright inaccuracy (contrary to his assertion, a recent comprehensive review study suggests that organic foods are *not* more nutritious than conventional ones). Read, but with a grain of salt. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
For my mother,
who always knew butter was better for you
than margarine
Eating in our time has gotten complicated---needlessly so, in my opinion.
"It's not food if it came from the window of your car."
"The banquet is in the first bite."
"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."
"Eat only foods that will eventually rot."
"Better to pay the grocer than the doctor."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014311638X, Paperback)

A Look Inside Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Michael Pollan's definitive compendium, Food Rules, is here brought to colorful life with the addition of Maira Kalman's beloved illustrations.

placeholder image

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

Presents a set of rules for eating wisely in accordance with a variety of ethnic and cultural traditions, sharing guidelines for making grocery choices and dining out.

698 wanted6 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible