Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by…

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

by Michael Pollan

Recently added bywpwhite, kittybiz, private library, cupocofe, deckehoe

English (76)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
Simple, effective, and very true. If I had epic amounts of money, I'd buy this book in heaps and distribute among the masses for free. If you haven't got an obsession with nutrition, like some of us *cough*, but would still like to eat healthier, please read this book. It takes about an hour, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. And it's an hour very well spent. ( )
  cupocofe | Jul 25, 2014 |
Nice summary of Pollan's overall conclusions, rendered in commonsense language. Very short for $11, so I read it all in the bookstore (sorry, Borders). I am still tempted to buy a copy to hand to acquaintances who regale me with the wonders of their protein shake or other food-like substance. ( )
  elsiereads | Jan 2, 2014 |
Following Pollan's other food related works, Food Rules is a slim volume of rules for eating real food and being healthier as a result. Some of the rules here were presented in his previous works but are useful to see again, along with his new rules.

The best part about this book is that it flies in the face of fad diets and other nutritional books which advise you to stop eating a specific type of food or nutrient. Pollan's approach is much more holistic and sensible, sticking to basic facts without getting into the microscopic.

dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
We don’t eat well here in America. Is that a surprise to you? I think not.

And our terrible food choices contribute to our overall terrible health.

Pollan is out to change that with a few (well, 83) simple rules.

The rules are simple. “Don’t eat anything your great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” That is simple, right? And it makes good sense. “Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.” Of course. “Stop eating before you’re full.” Definitely.

And with illustrations from my fav Maira Kalman, how can you go wrong?

It’s a book that’s everything...nutritious and delicious. ( )
  debnance | Sep 14, 2013 |
"Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" is the illustrated edition of Pollan's "Food Rules," a book that, over the course of 83 rules (of thumb), suggests how we can eat our way to a healthy life. In short, Pollan has discovered, we should "eat food... not too much... mostly plants."

"Food Rules" shines because it's a book of folk wisdom vetted by science, rather than a book about scientific discovery of arcane chemical properties. Kalman's illustrated additions to this volume only make it better, by emphasizing the human part of eating, and by being generally lighthearted and funny. ( )
  jasonli | Jun 30, 2013 |
For my mother,
who always knew butter was better for you
than margarine
Eating in our time has gotten complicated---needlessly so, in my opinion.
"It's not food if it came from the window of your car."
"The banquet is in the first bite."
"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."
"Eat only foods that will eventually rot."
"Better to pay the grocer than the doctor."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014311638X, Paperback)

A Look Inside Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Michael Pollan's definitive compendium, Food Rules, is here brought to colorful life with the addition of Maira Kalman's beloved illustrations.

placeholder image

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:24 -0400)

Presents a set of rules for eating wisely in accordance with a variety of ethnic and cultural traditions, sharing guidelines for making grocery choices and dining out.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,689,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible