Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by…

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

by Michael Pollan

2,211914,387 (3.91)68

English (90)  Spanish (1)  All languages (91)
easy book with lot of good ideas ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Presents a set of rules for eating wisely in accordance with a variety of ethnic and cultural traditions, sharing guidelines for making grocery choices and dining out.
  JRCornell | Dec 7, 2018 |
Quick read, jumped right to the point, but I don't think that I got much out of this book. It was TOO short. Maybe I'll read Pollan's other books to get more info. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Some favorite quotes:
"This is why many of the rules in this book are designed to help you avoid heavily processed foods - which I prefer to call "edible foodlike subtances."

"Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry."

"Ethoxylated diglycerides? Cellulose? Xanthan gum? Calcium propionate? Ammonium sulfate? If you wouldn't cook with them yourself, why let others use these ingredients to cook for you?"

"Eat foods made from ingredients that you can picture in their raw state or growing in nature."

"So: Ask yourself not, Am I full? but, Is my hunger gone? That moment will arrive several bites sooner."

"'Drink your food, chew your drink.' In other words, eat slowly enough and chew thoroughly enough, to liquefy your food, and move your drink around in your mouth to thoroughly taste in before swallowing."

"No snacks, no seconds, no sweets - except on days that begin with the letter S." ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
Never diet again! Want to stop questioning what you think you know about eating well? All you need to know lies within these pages in a straightforward and easily consumable fashion. You need to read this book. Your cousin needs to read this book. Everyone you work with needs to read this book. It should be compulsory upon entering middle school in America with required re-reads every 5-10 years just to keep us on our toes and honest about how we think of what we are eating and cast a bright light on everything we thought we knew and all we blatantly ignored. ( )
  VictoriaBrodersen | Dec 6, 2017 |
For my mother,
who always knew butter was better for you
than margarine
Eating in our time has gotten complicated---needlessly so, in my opinion.
"It's not food if it came from the window of your car."
"The banquet is in the first bite."
"If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't."
"Eat only foods that will eventually rot."
"Better to pay the grocer than the doctor."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014311638X, Paperback)

A Look Inside Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Michael Pollan's definitive compendium, Food Rules, is here brought to colorful life with the addition of Maira Kalman's beloved illustrations.

placeholder image

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,704,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible