Tonje Glimmerdal by Maria Parr

Tonje Glimmerdal (2018)

by Maria Parr

English (10)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
Very Pippi-esque, fun novel! ( )
  RenaeMcBrian | Nov 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Astrid is the only child living on Glimmerdal, and spends her time annoying the health retreat owner, skiing, and sledding. The book is being posed alongside Pippi Longstocking, Anne Shirley, etc...

Unfortunately the book didn't work for me. It seems to be trying too hard and Astrid never felt like a fully developed character. Her bad behavior didn't seem warranted or explainable in the way Pippi's is (having been raised by pirates), so just appeared rude and entitled (but it's not at all a "spoiled child unlearns bad behavior" book either). The deeper story line also felt very contrived and extremely rushed in characters suddenly opening up or liking each other after all. I don't think it comes anywhere close to the classics of children's lit or the great girl heroines. ( )
  mabith | Oct 31, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The only child in the valley of Glimmerdal, nine-year-old Astrid is delightfully impulsive -- a Pippi Longstocking for the 21st century. Her best friend and frequent conspirator in adventure is her elderly neighbor Gunnvald, though one day she is surprised to meet two children at the nearby resort. How is that possible, when Hagen's Wellness Retreat is strictly adults only? And who is the strange woman who arrives in the valley when Gunnvald is hospitalized? I loved the humor and Nordic spirit in this charming children's novel, though I could have done with fewer references to snus.

I received this ARC via LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  ryner | Sep 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When critics compared Astrid to Pippi, Heidi and Anne Shirley, I remained skeptical.

What a pleasant surprise to find out that the critics were correct!

"Astrid the Unstoppable" blends important life lessons -- the value of friendship, family and forgiveness -- with enough fun and adventure to be appealing to any child. This book is just plain fun, and I will most definitely be adding it to the collection of the public library I direct ---and will be giving copies to my great nieces ---- because that's what a good auntie would do. ( )
  DMS1962 | Sep 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was absolutely charmed by this book. Astrid is the type of heroine you want to keep reading about, so I hope it becomes a series. The depiction of Norwegian rural life seems so realistic, and the depiction of the various characters from a child’s viewpoint is affecting without being too overly sweet.
  garlk | Sep 3, 2018 |

Astrid Glimmerdal loves to spend her days racing down the mountainside on her sledge and skis -- the faster the better! She just wishes there were other children to share in her adventures. Instead, she has to put up with a grumpy 74 year old for a best friend (although secretly, she knows she wouldn't have it any other way). Astrid's world is about to be turned upside down, however, first by the arrival of a strange family, and then a mystery woman. Her best friend, Gunnvald, has been keeping a secret from her -- one that will test their friendship to its limits. Everything is changing in Astrid's world and she's not happy about it. Luckily, she has a plan.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Maria Parr's book Astrid the Unstoppable is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,203,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible