Memories of the future, Volume 1 by Wil…

Memories of the future, Volume 1 (edition 2009)

by Wil Wheaton

Member:Jessiqa
Title:Memories of the future, Volume 1
Authors:Wil Wheaton
Info:Pasadena, CA : Monolith Press
Tags:read

Memories of the Future - Volume 1 by Wil Wheaton

This is a compendium of reviews of the first half of season 1 of Star Trek: Next Generation by Wil Wheaton. I take it that no volume 2 is forthcoming as volume 1 was published 4 years ago. Each episode gets a recap, some quotable dialog, Wheaton's personal memories of filming, and a critical "bottom line" for the episode.

I think that Wheaton is at his best when he is direct and airing his own views, and not writing so that he will be "liked" by all his fans. (I understand where his impulse comes from, but it really isn't his best work.) The recaps are snarky, but often feel forced; his pop culture references are sometimes non sequitors and date the book unnecessarily (especially considering that TNG aired over 20 years ago). By far the best parts of the reviews are his recollections and reflections, which are entertaining and thoughtful. A modest and mostly entertaining book. ( )
  leduck | Oct 19, 2013 |
A hilarious in-depth lampooning of a few Star Trek episodes. You may have hated Wesley (who didn't?) but you will love Will Wheaton. ( )
  Clueless | Jul 8, 2013 |
An entertaining review of the first half of the first season of TNG (and *total* snarkfest). As Wil's synopses show, many of the episodes have not stood the test of time even when the writing wasn't decidedly ropey to begin with... Relive: Wesley's sweaters! Troi not doing much! ("Pain! Pain!") Annoyingly precocious Wesley! 80s hair! Annoyingly precocious Wesley! Wearing sweaters! Wil's love for the series is clear and the fact that he doesn't approach it from a perspective of everyone involved being infallible is quite refreshing. ( )
  stevejwales | Apr 26, 2013 |
Wil Wheaton played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation and therefore provides a unique perspective into the episodes of the program. This volume covers the first half of the first season. Each chapter is one episode and includes an "episode summary," "quotable dialogue," "obligatory technobabble," and "behind the scenes memory." These articles started out life on the TV Squad website but when funding went under, Wheaton realized he still wanted to write these articles, which are full of snark and tend to be fairly critical of the writers on the show. More on that later.

I first read the articles on TV Squad and then listened to Wheaton's Memories of the Futurecast where he read each article in a podcast format. That had the benefit of him occasionally adding some extra tidbit of behind the scenes memory. Later, when the book was published I decided to watch each episode and then read the corresponding chapter. This was an awesome plan: I haven't seen some of these episodes in about 15 years, so even though I sometimes recalled the plot from the podcast episodes, they were still fresh to me. Reading the book this way meant that the episodes were still at the forefront of my mind as I read each chapter, which made for greater impact in understanding the failings that Wheaton pointed out as well as sharing with him those sweet moments of a great scene.

Do not mistake this as a tell-all book about his experiences on the set. That's not the point of this book, but rather to have a look at each episode and poke a bit of fun at it. The fact is that most of these episodes suck. As a fan I still enjoy even those that aren't so good, just for the nostalgia, and Wheaton often puts the snark on hold to point out that a particular scene is very good or very well-handled by the actors given the crappy dialogue, etc. Despite the general poor quality of these episodes, Wheaton's jokes and perspective make the book highly enjoyable, i.e. we can laugh at the bad episodes because we know the show will get better. Next Generation fans will definitely find something to enjoy in this book, and then they will join me in my impatience for the next volume. ( )
  Jessiqa | Dec 5, 2012 |
An episode guide of the first half of the first season of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" told in a very special Wil Wheaton way, combining mega-snark and geekery of the highest order. I enjoyed this so much and I anticipate many further volumes. ( )
  leirali | Jun 23, 2011 |
To my friends and family in the cast and crew
of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
In August 2006, Brad Hill, an editor at Weblogs, Inc., hired me to write humorous reviews of Star Trek: The Next Generation from my unique point of view as an actor and a fan of the show.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible