Cain by José Saramago

Cain (2009)

by José Saramago

English (31)  Spanish (8)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (51)
This is the latest in a string of books I have read that I have not really enjoyed. Saramago was an atheist in real life, and this book is a "reimagining" of some of the stories of the Old Testament with the title character Cain being the center of novel. While I appreciated some of the cynicism and the sarcasm, it wore on me after a while. I think the first part of the story best made his point, but as the book moved along I thought the author took too many liberties with the Bible stories. A quick read but certainly not recommended to anyone who is a believer in Christianity. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Cain takes revenge on God. Funny snobbits of the old testament. Sarcastic comments on angels. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Nov 3, 2017 |
Caim é condenado pelo seu crime fratricida e foge para vaguear pelo mundo mas, curiosamente, dá por si viajando no tempo e no espaço, e irá testemunhar momentos específicos do Antigo Testamento, chegando mesmo a intervir decisivamente nalgumas situações em que a crueldade e injustiça de Deus são mais flagrantes (o episódio de Sodoma e Gomorra, em que todos são eliminados pelo "crime" de homossexualidade, mesmos as crianças inocentes; a extinção de toda a humanidade, aliás, de toda a vida à face da Terra, com exceção de Noé e da sua família; o castigo dos adoradores do bezerro dourado que esperavam Moisés na base do Monte Sinai; etc.).

A escrita de Saramago é excelente, quase barroca, e o seu sentido de humor afinado (é Caim quem segura o braço de Abraão quando este se prepara para degolar o seu filho, a pedido de Deus, porque o Anjo, que Deus havia enviado para o impedir e lhe dar uma lição de moral, se atrasou...), mas não tenho a certeza se um romance, com laivos de ficção científica, é um meio adequado para criticar a violência e selvajaria presentes no Antigo Testamento, pelo menos a mim, confundiu-me um pouco. ( )
  jmx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This provided an interesting, if unexpected, companion volume to Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason. They covered similar material in exposing the decidedly UNjust and UNloving actions of God in the Hebrew Scriptures. Saramago has Cain travel back and forth in time (after the infamous murder of his brother, Abel) to encounter God and God's works at many pivotal points (e.g. Abraham's near-sacrifice of Isaac, Noah's ark, Joshua and the battle of Jericho, etc.) I love this kind of literary midrash, but I did find myself wishing for just a bit of humor, even dark humor, a la Christopher Moore. I don't think it would have taken anything from Saramgo's outrage and may have invited more readers in. This was the first novel I've read by Saramago, and turns out to be the last novel he ever wrote. I'll read more... ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
An interesting take on the wanderings of Cain, who as punishment for killing his brother Abel is condemned to a life of wandering by God. Cain is permitted to see various episodes of the future (or 'presents' as he calls them as he actually lives in them and his actions have an effect) which are all familiar stories of the Old Testament. An interesting take and one I enjoyed. It does throw into question why, if God is so merciful, does he allow so much suffering and exemplifies how God in the Old Testament can be seen as vengeful. But I am sure those are questions that many Christians and Jewish people have asked over the centuries and it is ultimately down to the reader to decide what their take is. A quick and easy read and I was caught up in it. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |

José Saramagoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Costa, Margaret JullTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rio, Pilar delTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
C'est par la foi qu'Abel offrit à Dieu un sacrifice plus excellent  que celui de Caïn ; c'est par elle qu'il fut déclaré juste, Dieu approuvant ses offrandes ; et c'est par elle qu'il parle encore, quoique mort.
Hébreux, 11,4.
Livre des absurdités
Quand le seigneur, connu aussi sous le nom de dieu, s'aperçut qu'adam et ève, parfaits en tout ce qui se présentait à la vue, ne pouvaient faire sortir un seul mot de leur bouche ni émettre ne fût-ce qu'un simple son primitif, il dut sûrement s'irriter contre lui-même puisqu'il n'y avait personne d'autre dans le jardin d'éden qu'il pût rendre responsable de cette gravissime erreur, alors que tous les autres animaux, produits, comme les deux humaine, du que cela soit divin, bénéficiaient déjà d'une voix qui leur était propre , les uns au moyen de mugissements et de rugissements, les autres de grognements, et de gazouillements, de sifflements et de gloussements.
The history of mankind is the history of our misunderstandings with god, for he doesn't understand us, and we don't understand him.

"In this, his last novel, Saramago daringly reimagines the characters and narratives of the Bible through the story of Cain. Condemned to wander forever after he kills Abel, he is whisked around in time and space. He experiences the almost-sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham, the Tower of Babel, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Joshua at the battle of Jericho, Job's ordeal, and finally Noah's ark and the Flood. And over and over again Cain encounters an unjust, even cruel God. A startling, beautifully written, and powerful book, in all ways a fitting end to Saramago's extraordinary career"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,750,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible