The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins

The Next Best Thing

by Kristan Higgins (Author)

Young widow Lucy Lang has decided it's time to date again in search of a man and kids....no fireworks please, and she finds fireworks and the man very close at hand. ( )
  pennykaplan | Nov 8, 2015 |
First let me say I am a huge Kristan Higgins fan but this book...not so much. The story itself is great but the pages of the book are filled with too much stuff... more than 5 years after her husband dies Lucy is still moping and crying...REALLY? ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
At first I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as her others... and in some ways I don't. But there are a couple of emotionally intense scenes toward the end that OH SWEET MERCY left me unable to breathe. ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
CReo que Higgins se esta convirtiendo en una de mis nuevas autoras de romance preferidas ; si no fuese por su mal español y que bastantes de los chistes son repetitivos , la adoraria..

Super re-contra SEIS estrellas por su ETHAN -Si fuese una sentimental , me habria pasado la novela entera suspirando . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
After five years, young widow Lucy Lang is ready to start dating again. But she's not looking for love; her late husband, Jimmy Mirabelli, was the love of her life, and she has no interest in opening her heart to somebody new. But Lucy does want the stability and comfort of marriage, and she'd like to have children someday, so she decides to start looking for a potential husband. Of course, this means she'll need to stop sleeping with Jimmy's brother, Ethan, with whom she has shared a secret friends-with-benefits arrangement for the past couple of years. But when Lucy tries to break things off with Ethan, she's surprised to find that he doesn't take it very well. In fact, he seems to want to pursue a real relationship with her. But Lucy is afraid of where such a relationship might lead; she's not ready to get her heart broken again. Plus, there's the issue of what their families would say.... Will Lucy find the courage to risk her heart, and will she ever be able to see Ethan as Mr. Right rather than just the next-best thing?

This novel is yet another light, romantic read by Kristan Higgins. Her books tend to be quite similar, so if you like one, you'll probably like them all. This one actually reminded me a lot of Fools Rush In, which I read earlier this year, because of the familial complications to the romance. In Fools Rush In, the heroine ends up with her sister's ex-husband, while in this book, Lucy ends up with her dead husband's brother. (I don't think that's really a spoiler, is it?) And in both books, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the resolution of these issues. I especially think that Ethan's family would have had a much stronger, more lasting reaction to the news that their son's widow is now dating their other son. At the same time, I was rooting for Ethan from almost the very beginning; it was so obvious that he really loved Lucy all along! In fact, I was pretty irritated with Lucy for not noticing it! That said, I actually did like this book and would recommend it to fans of contemporary romance...it's just not my favorite offering by Higgins.
  christina_reads | May 13, 2015 |

Lucy Lang became a widow in her late twenties when her husband Jimmy fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his car. She blames it on the family curse: her mother and her aunts all lost their husbands at relatively young ages, and now she and The Black Widows, as she calls them, channel their energy into running their Hungarian bakery. But when Lucy’s younger sister has her first baby, Lucy starts to think that maybe it’s time to get back in the dating game—it has been five years, after all. She’s still young, and attractive, and she still wants a family, so she should put herself out there, even if nobody can quite measure up to her Jimmy. However, this means she has to stop sleeping with her best friend Ethan—who also happens to be her brother-in-law. But maybe she doesn’t need to look so far for what she wants.

After losing the love of her life, young widow Lucy Lang is looking for a nice, decent man--but one who won't stir her heart. So it's goodbye to her friend with privileges, Ethan Mirabelli. Too bad Ethan isn't planning on going anywhere.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible