The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins

The Next Best Thing

by Kristan Higgins (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, vrullan

NOTE: I received the eARC via Netgalley. Thanks!

The moment I saw this novel on Netgalley I just had to have it! I loved "Someone to Love", which was a companion novel and thought that I'd like this one too. One thing I had overlooked though is that The Next Best Thing is actually written before Someone to Love. Frankly, I had no idea they were connected until I actually sat down and came across a character called Parker. That woman is unforgettable it seems.

To tell you the truth, back in the day (last year) when I read Someone to Love and was told to check out The Next Best Thing featuring Ethan and Lucy's story, I thought "What? Why? Those two didn't really catch my attention." I seriously couldn't care less about them. But now that I've actually gotten to know them on a more personal level, along with their hardships and feelings... let's just say that they were totally worth their own novel.

The Next Best Thing is your typical romance, full of passion, secrets and lots of drama. THere's also a tragedy, which both separates and brings together Lucy and Ethan. This tragedy is the loss of Lucy's husband, Jimmy, who also happened to be Ethan's brother. This is why the barrier between those two was so enormous, so tough to shatter.

Of course, there are a bunch of other events involved adding even more drama.

So, onto the characters. They were well developed, and I mean ALL of them, not just Lucy and Ethan. The Black Widows, Lucy's sister, Ethan's parents... everyone.

I loved Lucy, even though she seemed a bit too absorbed with the past, with the perfect memory of Jimmy that she'd built up in her mind. She was sharing a bed with Ethan on a regular basis, but she was so sure he wasn't the right guy for her. Sure, what with the Black Widows' fate and so on, I understand why she wouldn't want to fall in love again, but still... running away is never the right option, is it?

And Ethan? He was so sweet all the time. Lucy continued hurting him again and again, but he kept on loving her. I was hurting for him, hurting that he had to go into self-preservation mode because he was sick of being Lucy's plaything. He was sick and tired of being the next best to Jimmy. Even his parents saw him as merely the second son. He wanted to be loved and cherished. He wanted to be appreciated. And he wanted a serious relationship with the woman he loved. Was that too much to ask?

Sweet, full of passion, pain and the aftereffects of immense tragedy, The Next Best Thing is a great light relaxing read. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins
Lucy lives on an island off the coast of Rhode Island and had first met Ethan at Johnson and Wales Culinary School in the city. He had introduced her to his brother Jimmy who she fell in love with and after she finished college they married.
He ran his family place and died coming home from NY after checking out new ovens for the place. Since then she's been sleeping around with Ethan but now that her sister Corinne has produced a baby she wants one also and tells Ethan they are a thing of the past.
How she and Parker-Nicky's bio mother (Ethan is his father) go about dating is hilarious!
Lots of drama and everyday life events: births, deaths, funerals, retirements, dating and the baking industry and the publishing industry with The Holy Rollers.
Hot steamy sex and I love the boat excursions seeing that I live in RI and in the vicinity of the island they are referencing. Everybody in her family has lost their husband so she is terrified her next husband the same thing will happen...
The bread man Matt complicates their relationship and she's not sure whether she wants Matt or Ethan... Remake of an earlier years version.
I received this book from Net Galley via Harlequin HQN in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Aug 27, 2013 |
I've been on a sweet romance kick lately with some awesome sweet romance reads and especially Susan Mallery's latest, Three Little Words. I was eager to dive into The Next Best Thing since I've heard so many good things about Kristan Higgins. I have to say I was sadly disappointed. I actually felt guilty for most of the book because Lucy seemed like a character you should feel sorry for but she was just so darn irritating I couldn't stand her!

Full review will be posted at:
http://www.debbiesworldofbooks.com/?p=10959 ( )
  dasuzuki | Jul 14, 2013 |
LOVE Kristan Higgins! ( )
  KrisinKW | Jul 10, 2013 |
I truely enjoyed this book. a slight twist with Lucy, a widow, having an inappropriate "privilages" with her deceased husband brother. The mom and aunts, "the widows" own a bakery. Ethan's parents an Italian restaurant. She finally decided to start dating again. Poor Ethan introduced her to his brother but he's loved her since they met in college. Good story. would enjoy re-reading ( )
  rdh123 | Nov 7, 2010 |

Lucy Lang became a widow in her late twenties when her husband Jimmy fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his car. She blames it on the family curse: her mother and her aunts all lost their husbands at relatively young ages, and now she and The Black Widows, as she calls them, channel their energy into running their Hungarian bakery. But when Lucy’s younger sister has her first baby, Lucy starts to think that maybe it’s time to get back in the dating game—it has been five years, after all. She’s still young, and attractive, and she still wants a family, so she should put herself out there, even if nobody can quite measure up to her Jimmy. However, this means she has to stop sleeping with her best friend Ethan—who also happens to be her brother-in-law. But maybe she doesn’t need to look so far for what she wants.

After losing the love of her life, young widow Lucy Lang is looking for a nice, decent man--but one who won't stir her heart. So it's goodbye to her friend with privileges, Ethan Mirabelli. Too bad Ethan isn't planning on going anywhere.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,797,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible