Shadow Tag: A Novel by Louise Erdrich

Shadow Tag: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:jlshall
Title:Shadow Tag: A Novel
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:American literature, fiction

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (cafepithecus)
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: The plot lines are very similar
    A Disorder Peculiar to the Country by Ken Kalfus (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Very modern novel where the events of 9/11 are integral to the plot. Told in alternating views, a unhappily married couple do their best to destroy each other.
    A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Both novels deal with trust and deception in marriage. Also both take place in an upper midwestern U.S. winter.
    My Wife's Affair by Nancy Woodruff (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Another look at a disintegrating marriage.

I was blown away by this one. Such a powerful, disturbing story, written in a sharp, poignant manner that took my breath away. Not a story that I can easily recommend as it touches on some issues that some readers may not be comfortable reading, but that is exactly what made this such an amazing read for me. Erdrich gets under the skin of her characters and brings to the surface their troubling personality and control issues, depicting a manipulative relationship as the damaging and destructive force it can be for all caught within its vortex. I seem to appreciate disturbing, shattering reads like this one. Not sure what that says about me but I think it says a lot about Erdrich's ability as a writer to unflinchingly paint a picture, draw me in as a reader and keep my attention while the subject matter continues to disturb and then throw me over the precipice like she did with that ending. A brilliant portrayal, but as I mentioned, not a book that is easy to recommend to others. ( )
2 vote lkernagh | Apr 9, 2015 |
This was a very impressive reading. It's a story about a couple who is hating each other as much as loving but it shows that this love-hate relationship is bond to a violent deep addiction to each other. The story is narrated by the daughter of this couple with the help of her mother's diaries and the experiences of her childhood.
Erdrich's spelling style is very rich and detailed for human emotions and therefore the reading is very gripping. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 3, 2015 |
Gil and Irene America are married with three children, living in Minneapolis. Gil is an artist, made famous and successful by painting a series of Irene which ran the gamut from sexual to lovely. Now, their marriage is falling apart: Irene starts a second, hidden diary and starts using the one at home to manipulate her husband, since she knows he's secretly reading it.

This is one of those stories where the writing/themes takes center stage, the characters come next, and everything else is incidental. The dynamics of Gil and Irene's relationship are complex, and Erdrich uses them to explore this idea of a "shadow" and how the representation of a person may steal his/her soul. Irene, in a way, is also trying to get out of Gil's shadow and his image of her, and trying to keep a part of herself separate and private. I found it both compelling and painful reading, and I never really loved any individual part. It was like a train wreck, knowing everything was unraveling and being unable to walk away. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 14, 2015 |
Interesting story of a dysfunctional relationship between two creative people ( )
  Pickiej | Jan 24, 2015 |
I love Louise Erdrich -- I think she is a wonderful writer -- but this was a sloppy, painful book -- a devastating plot combined with inconsistent writing. I don't recommend it. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
in places, “Shadow Tag” seems more like notes for a novel than fully realized fiction. Elsewhere, though, Erdrich’s unbridled urgency yields startlingly original phrasing (“the christbirthing pinecone air”) as well as flashes of blinding lucidity.

I left the novel with mixed feelings. Despite its psychological acuity, and the tenderness the author has for the kids, I mostly felt trapped in a stifling space with a rather unlikable couple. I hope that in her next novel, Erdrich opens some windows.

November 2, 2007
Blue Notebook

I have two diaries now.
Falling in love is falling into knowledge. Enduring love comes when we love most of what we learn about the other person and can tolerate the faults they cannot change.

Chronciles the emotional war between Irene America, a beautiful, introspective woman of Native American ancestry, struggling to finish her dissertation while raising three children, and her husband Gil, a painter whose reputation is built on a series of now iconic portraits of Irene.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,608,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible