Shadow Tag: A Novel by Louise Erdrich

Shadow Tag: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:jlshall
Title:Shadow Tag: A Novel
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:American literature, fiction

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (cafepithecus)
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: The plot lines are very similar
    A Disorder Peculiar to the Country by Ken Kalfus (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Very modern novel where the events of 9/11 are integral to the plot. Told in alternating views, a unhappily married couple do their best to destroy each other.
    A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Both novels deal with trust and deception in marriage. Also both take place in an upper midwestern U.S. winter.
    My Wife's Affair by Nancy Woodruff (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Another look at a disintegrating marriage.

$80.00
  danbrady | Apr 8, 2016 |
Not my thing. Stopped 1/2 way. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
I had a love/hate relationship with this book, as I seem to have with the few other books by Erdrich I've read (or tried to read). Some of her dialogue struck me as unrealistic and pretentious; but some of her descriptions of the way people are (or are not) with one another are exquisite. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Shadow Tag feels like great improv, executed by a great artist. But it's not a great book. It's more a series of breathless and perfectly executed riffs. The novel includes scenes of deep seriousness--child abuse, marital rape, suicide...along with scenes of dark comedy--a husband hosting a lavish surprise party for a wife about to leave him; a marriage counseling session that soars into farce; a desperate quest to save a little guinea pig on Christmas Eve. The whole doesn't add up but the parts are so delicious that it didn't matter. ( )
  poingu | Jan 23, 2016 |
in places, “Shadow Tag” seems more like notes for a novel than fully realized fiction. Elsewhere, though, Erdrich’s unbridled urgency yields startlingly original phrasing (“the christbirthing pinecone air”) as well as flashes of blinding lucidity.

I left the novel with mixed feelings. Despite its psychological acuity, and the tenderness the author has for the kids, I mostly felt trapped in a stifling space with a rather unlikable couple. I hope that in her next novel, Erdrich opens some windows.

November 2, 2007
Blue Notebook

I have two diaries now.
Falling in love is falling into knowledge. Enduring love comes when we love most of what we learn about the other person and can tolerate the faults they cannot change.

Chronciles the emotional war between Irene America, a beautiful, introspective woman of Native American ancestry, struggling to finish her dissertation while raising three children, and her husband Gil, a painter whose reputation is built on a series of now iconic portraits of Irene.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,610,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible