Shadow Tag: A Novel by Louise Erdrich

Shadow Tag: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:jlshall
Title:Shadow Tag: A Novel
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:American literature, fiction

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (cafepithecus)
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: The plot lines are very similar
    A Disorder Peculiar to the Country by Ken Kalfus (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Very modern novel where the events of 9/11 are integral to the plot. Told in alternating views, a unhappily married couple do their best to destroy each other.
    A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Both novels deal with trust and deception in marriage. Also both take place in an upper midwestern U.S. winter.
    My Wife's Affair by Nancy Woodruff (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Another look at a disintegrating marriage.

I received this as a freebie from Goodreads and felt obliged to put it at the top of my to-be-read pile so I could read and review it quickly. I haven't read anything by Louise Erdich in a long time, not because I don't like her work, but because other things have had a strongerhold on my attention. From the first page of Shadow Tag I felt I was in the hands of a master story teller. For me to give a book 4 stars I usually need characters to feel very tangible, or find an elusive writing stlye that captures me. In this case, it was the sheer virtuosity of her storytelling that held me captive. There wasn't an extraneous scene,, or a passage that went on too long. The story unfolded like a flower. I have a few other Erdich books on my bookshelf, and on the basis of this read they will be moving up on my priority list! ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
A brilliant, gorgeous portrayal of a codependent marriage told from multiple perspectives. It would have been perfect if not for an epilogue that too neatly explains the author's technique. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
$80.00
  danbrady | Apr 8, 2016 |
Not my thing. Stopped 1/2 way. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
in places, “Shadow Tag” seems more like notes for a novel than fully realized fiction. Elsewhere, though, Erdrich’s unbridled urgency yields startlingly original phrasing (“the christbirthing pinecone air”) as well as flashes of blinding lucidity.

I left the novel with mixed feelings. Despite its psychological acuity, and the tenderness the author has for the kids, I mostly felt trapped in a stifling space with a rather unlikable couple. I hope that in her next novel, Erdrich opens some windows.

November 2, 2007
Blue Notebook

I have two diaries now.
Falling in love is falling into knowledge. Enduring love comes when we love most of what we learn about the other person and can tolerate the faults they cannot change.

Chronciles the emotional war between Irene America, a beautiful, introspective woman of Native American ancestry, struggling to finish her dissertation while raising three children, and her husband Gil, a painter whose reputation is built on a series of now iconic portraits of Irene.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,255,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible