Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Monsters of Men

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (3)

1,231986,459 (4.19)156

English (98)  Dutch (1)  All languages (99)
A great finish to the best YA series I've ever read. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
The powerful conclusion to the Chaos Walking trilogy starts immediately where The Ask and the Answer leaves off. A third narrative voice joins those of Todd and Viola, and even though a lot happens in the novel, I thought this was the weakest out of the three (though not by much), for reasons that are not entirely clear to me. Patrick Ness sends the reader on an emotional rollercoaster, and the breathtaking conclusion left me emotionally drained, but the reader is left with a strong message of hope and reconciliation. I would highly recommend this trilogy for readers of all ages, and this will stay in my mind for a very long time, as all the characters, Todd and Viola in particular, are quite unforgettable, and I'm missing them already. I would certainly advise anyone interested to read the three volumes back to back as this is really one story told in three books. ( )
  passion4reading | Aug 16, 2015 |
No spoilers... just read the books.
The trilogy completely pulled me in as an escape, and lingered as reflections of history and humanity each time the books weren't in my hands. Noise and choice. Very, very good. ( )
  margothere.library | Aug 8, 2015 |
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness closes out his Chaos Walking trilogy with a bang. This was a roller coaster of a book taking the reader through valleys of despair and up to the heights of elation. I was emotionally drained when I finally closed the book as I read this almost in one sitting as I had to know how it was going to end.

First off I must say that I am very happy that I read all three of the books in the trilogy closely together. This is truly one story and each book carries on from exactly where the last book ended. Patrick Ness is an excellent writer and he pulls no punches when it comes to the brutality of war. In Monsters of Men there are varying degrees of battle going on between the human factions, but the main war is that between mankind and the native species of the planet. Over and above the war there is manipulation, lies, violence, fear and control. Todd and Viola mature a lot in this book, but I have to say Viola really came into her own, showing how strong and determined she can be. The love these two have for each other was a driving force in all three books and was one of the many ways that the author showed how love can triumph over war.

Patrick Ness demonstrates his writing skill by unfolding the story through three separate points of view and this was a wonderful way of showing how one’s viewpoint can be influenced and changed by an ardent narrator. Monsters of Men was a wonderful finish to this trilogy and one that I believe I will long remember. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 4, 2015 |
Third book in Chaos walking trilogy. Like the two books before, this is superb, if dark, storytelling. ( )
  DavidO1103 | May 24, 2015 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Denise Johnstone-Burt
"War," says Mayor Prentiss, his eyes glinting. "At Last"
I am the Circle and the Circle is me
Boy Colt
"I hope I'd make the right choice, but, Viola, it is a choice. To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that's not how a person with integrity acts." (p. 182)

The electrifying finale to the multiple award-winning trilogy, Chaos Walking. "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge... The electrifying finale to the award-winning Chaos Walking trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.
Not a dry eye in
the house as Chaos Walking
trilogy concludes.
(passion4reading)
Peace with the Spackle
or does New World equal Old
World, but with new foes?
(passion4reading)

As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions, questioning all they have ever known as they try to step back from the darkness and find the best way to achieve peace.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,093,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible