Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Monsters of Men

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (3)

It's the final battle, the culmination of the series. It's when the weapons come out and the battle lines are drawn and redrawn and blood and death reign supreme as conniving minds scheme to gain the upper hand. It becomes a war of three factions, the Mayor, the Mistress, and the Spackle. And in the midst of it all, Todd and Viola are trying to do the right thing, to find peace in the world and to save each other.

I can't believe I'm giving this four stars. Well, it's more like 3.75, but it's basically four stars. I came into this book with low expectations because endings are so hard to do well. But this deserves more than three stars, more than 3.5 stars. In the beginning I thought Ness wasn't that skilled at writing war - and he isn't. His battle scenes are a little clumsy as he portrays characters talking dialogue in the middle of battle and other slightly unbelievable things. But he is great at writing subterfuge and the hidden tactics of war. And this book brings us further into war, brings it into the actual death and destruction of what war is (instead of the guerrilla fighting of book 2).

We also get 1017's point of view in first person as well. I love Ness for this: giving us a new perspective with each book. That broadens our understanding of the characters and gives new insights into the world.

His style is still fairly consistent, his strengths and weakness similar to the other two books again. It has the same quick pace with truces and plans and attacks happening every other page. It's an adventure book that shows these characters grown up, but still making those hard decisions all over again.

Again, there were some things that I don't buy again (spoilers: like the silencing of Todd's Noise just by thinking the phrase or how it's opened again by talking to Ben. Too quick.).

I loved how he makes the villains sympathetic and the protagonists guilty of crimes as well (who is to say Viola or Todd is correct for wanting to kill thousands for one person?). These characters aren't flat, and they make you hurt for them in all the right ways.

There are so many mini-climaxes towards the end (so many fake endings). While I really appreciated it, there were some parts where the heroes became villains unexpectedly - and there was just not enough transition moments to make that believable as well. But the resulting plot and action that came from those twists are freaking amazing. So I'll let it go.

The ending. At first I was like... ack that's a cop-out ending, but no... it was done well. He did it justice. It didn't exactly tie up all the loose ends, but it ended on the right note. And it's hard to find a book that ends on a perfect note, so I bumped it a little bit in the ratings.

4 stars because I really did like this book a lot and the way it ended. It was entertaining, thought-provoking, had well rounded characters and great villains.
Recommended for people who read the first two books. But I would really recommend this series to anyone who likes adventure books. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
These books are shelved in my library system as Sci-fi. First of all I usually hate science fiction. I've never ever liked it. Then someone comes along and suggests Patrick Ness books to me. Holy crap. What had I been missing. I read [b:A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1356015593s/8621462.jpg|13492114] and loved it. So when I heard he had a dystopian series out I knew I had to give it a try.

This set of books is not just Young Adult. These books should honestly in my opinion be required reading for everyone. Amazing complex. These books have characters that are neither completely evil nor completely good. They are human. No MarySue for a main character either. Viola is strong and can stand her ground in any situation.

I can't even begin to describe this book or the series to anyone. All I can say is it's one of the top series of books I've ever read. If not the top.

bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
An amazing end to a great series. The characters continue their self-growth and become their own person by making some hard decisions. Could you do the same in the middle of a interspecies war? ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
It is a good series! I enjoyed it. There are some touchy-feely messages in it (opening your mind to your fellow man; being at one with the universe), and privacy and personal space are obviously not priorities for this author, but it is still an enjoyable read. There was a moment toward the end where I almost threw the book across the room (mimicking my daughter's reaction to a scene in the first book), but I kept reading and it was resolved to my satisfaction. I recommend it! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Denise Johnstone-Burt
"War," says Mayor Prentiss, his eyes glinting. "At Last"
I am the Circle and the Circle is me
Boy Colt
"I hope I'd make the right choice, but, Viola, it is a choice. To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that's not how a person with integrity acts." (p. 182)

The electrifying finale to the multiple award-winning trilogy, Chaos Walking. "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge... The electrifying finale to the award-winning Chaos Walking trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.

As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions, questioning all they have ever known as they try to step back from the darkness and find the best way to achieve peace.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible