Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Monsters of Men

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (3)

English (92)  Dutch (1)  All languages (93)
This is the 3rd and final book. If you have not read the first two, there may be spoilers in this review. I also suggest you read these books in order.

My main reason for giving this book only 3 stars is I didn't enjoy it as much as the second. It was like the second built up the suspense and this book gradually let it out, which is a good thing as that make the ending believable. I still enjoyed this book, which is why I gave it 3 stars but I think I may have gotten worn out by the war, the dying, the weapons of mass destruction. It brings the ongoing conflicts, the three armies fighting for control to a believable conclusion. We get confirmation on just how evil and insane the Mayor is. We see the beneficial results from people working to redeem themselves from actions they regret.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" could be the moral of this book, it this book was trying to teach a lesson. It is never preachy, just showing what happens when one person wants to rule everything, how when they have that power it can change them, twist them horribly. It also shows how that power can be a force for good in the right persons hands.

Salvation for this planet comes from an unlikely source, but its not really surprising, it makes sense.

At times I wanted to slap Todd and Viola on the back of the head and shout, "Wake up! Can't you see what is in front of you?" However, they are just kids, kids thrust into adult rolls, charged with saving a planet and two species. The author remembers this, makes sure we remember it, through the help of adults that have the children's best interests at heart, the war ends.

Although I did not LOVE this book, I did enjoy it and feel it is a fitting end to the series. All lose threads tied up into a suitable ending. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Description: In the riveting conclusion to the acclaimed dystopian series, a boy and girl caught in the chaos of war face devastating choices that will decide the fate of a world.

As a world-ending war surges around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions. The indigenous Spackle, thinking and acting as one, have mobilized to avenge their murdered people. Ruthless human leaders prepare to defend their factions at all costs, even as a convoy of new settlers approaches. And as the ceaseless Noise lays all thoughts bare, the projected will of the few threatens to overwhelm the desperate desire of the many. The consequences of each action, each word, are unspeakably vast: To follow a tyrant or a terrorist? To save the life of the one you love most, or thousands of strangers? To believe in redemption, or assume it is lost? Becoming adults amid the turmoil, Todd and Viola question all they have known, racing through horror and outrage toward a shocking finale.

Thoughts: I don't know what to say. I didn't enjoy this book. I just couldn't believe in it. I felt like all the promising goodies from the first book (and even The New World) were wasted over the course of The Ask and the Answer and Monsters of Men. About halfway through this one I started to really not care so much who made it out alive. Which is not a good thing.

The thing is... Ness has a compelling voice. I get the feeling that he has a truly spectacular story in him, something that lives up to the hype of Publishers Weekly calling it "one of the most important works of young adult science fiction in recent years." This one just devolved into boggy, unredemptive, warmongering yuckiness. I don't even think I could begin to count the number of false ends where resolution is so tantalizingly close only to be snatched away again and again and again. The science fictionness of it became annoying and then basically pointless.

I wanted to love this series but I couldn't. The first one was very promising but the rest just missed for me. I'll probably give Ness another try though.

Rating: 2.7

Liked: 2.5
Plot: 2.5
Characterization: 3
Writing: 3

http://www.librarything.com/topic/149560#3928469 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 17, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I really wanted to read this last book in the Chaos Walking series, as the cliffhanger on the second book was just enormous!

I can't conclude differently than just to admit it was a thrilling end to this series. Never boring, interesting till the end, showing that good/bad-sides aren't black/white (as they are to often in books). I just loved the series. I feel a bit empty now I'll have to find another book that pulls my attention this same way! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
I think anyone who gets to this end of the series knows that they can't expect Ness to be gentle on his characters. I was tense with anticipation and worry most of the time. 'This book is terrible.' I would say to my husband. 'So why are you reading it?' 'Because it's brilliant!'. Husband walks away shaking his head. While this is very obviously a piece of fiction, aliens and telepathy, I spent most of the time thinking how horribly real a lot of it was. I can think of events in recent history that match all of the worst events in the book. This book made me feel, and it made me think, and I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
Ambigous ending leaving much to the imagination, but I would prefer it to be more definitive. There is part 3.5, but not on kindle... ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Denise Johnstone-Burt
"War," says Mayor Prentiss, his eyes glinting. "At Last"
I am the Circle and the Circle is me
Boy Colt
"I hope I'd make the right choice, but, Viola, it is a choice. To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that's not how a person with integrity acts." (p. 182)

The electrifying finale to the multiple award-winning trilogy, Chaos Walking. "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge... The electrifying finale to the award-winning Chaos Walking trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.

As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions, questioning all they have ever known as they try to step back from the darkness and find the best way to achieve peace.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,143,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible