Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Monsters of Men

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (3)

English (106)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
An excellent end to the Chaos Walking series. With multiple groups at war, there are several plot twists and little that is black-and-white in this story. I was a bit worried about the ending, but Ness was able to wrap things up nicely. ( )
  porch_reader | Apr 23, 2016 |
Review
I have so much love for this series. It shows just how awful people can be in the their determination to make things right. But each person has a different idea of the way things needs to be done.

Monsters of Men picks up right after The Ask and The Answer. Todd is at a complete lost with who to trust or how to go about things when they see the Spackle on the horizon. Will the Mayor keep to his word or will he completely screw them over. Viola is terrified she's losing the Todd she first met to the one that's stuck in the middle of this battle. He's changing, and he doesn't even realize it. We also have a new voice enter the fray, and he's not one happy with the men, or how they treat others.

While some parts of the story seem to slow down a bit, it's hard not to get lost in the story. So many things happen in this book that set the course for how things will be handled from now on. The Mayor thinks violence is the way to prove superiority, and Viola wants to find a peaceful resolution. Both Todd and Viola have people trying to steer them in the directions they want, and they don't know how to handle the pressure without losing themselves in the process.

Seriously, I can't tell you much more without giving a ton of things away. But Viola and Todd truly grow in this book. When you think the circumstances are going to beat them down they do their best to rise up to the occasion. The ending is excellent. You have an idea of how things end, but nothing concrete. I am happy that there is a short story that kind of wraps things up a little better, and I'll definitely be reading that soon!

This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
4.5 to the main character- Todd, I want to throttle you, when do you learn ? I understand you are young and want to believe, but those of us who are jaded know better. Watching you stumble and grow is painful at times. I have grown to love you, cheer for you, cry for you and Viola. She is hiding something from you, pay attention ! Listen to her, you are different, why ? Thank you for not leaving your four legged friend.
This last book is twisted an emotion roller-coaster for all the characters. Lives are lost, trusts are broken and the truth is finally reveled. Twisted ! I did not know where this way going. A grand finale for a wonderful series. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I LOVED this book!! It was such a perfect end to the "Chaos Walking" trilogy. From the start I was hooked and had it read over a weekend. The action and suspense never let up and you find yourself asking, What would I do in this situation? as the characters struggle with the choices that have to be make and with the monsters living within them, trying to escape. Filled with love and hate, good and evil, atrocities and acts of kindness, heartbreak and suffering, this is one book that is almost impossible to put down once you start. Congratulations Patrick Ness on an incredible series! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Monsters of Men Patrick Ness
4 Stars

The final book in The Chaos Walking Trilogy, although there are other in between books I have decided to read the main trilogy only.

This is a tough one to write a review for as being the final book it is easy to give away spoilers from the previous books so I will cover it in general terms.

The title refers to war, war is what makes monsters of men.

The inhabitants of the New World are faced with difficult decisions and heartbreak as events lead unavoidably to war.

Patrick Ness has managed to show how difficult the decisions taken in a time of conflict are and made them accessible and understandable to a younger audience, what he does really well is show that war is not black and white, good and evil instead it is full of different shades of grey.

I enjoyed this whole series and felt the ending was well done a good place for the reader to leave the New World while also leaving the door open for a return visit. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Denise Johnstone-Burt
"War," says Mayor Prentiss, his eyes glinting. "At Last"
I am the Circle and the Circle is me
Boy Colt
"I hope I'd make the right choice, but, Viola, it is a choice. To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that's not how a person with integrity acts." (p. 182)

The electrifying finale to the multiple award-winning trilogy, Chaos Walking. "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge... The electrifying finale to the award-winning Chaos Walking trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.
Not a dry eye in
the house as Chaos Walking
trilogy concludes.
(passion4reading)
Peace with the Spackle
or does New World equal Old
World, but with new foes?
(passion4reading)

As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions, questioning all they have ever known as they try to step back from the darkness and find the best way to achieve peace.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible