Monsters of Men: Chaos Walking: Book Three…

Monsters of Men: Chaos Walking: Book Three (edition 2011)

by Patrick Ness

Member:dolphin30
Title:Monsters of Men: Chaos Walking: Book Three
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 608 pages

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

English (122)  Dutch (1)  All languages (123)
I wanted to know how the series would end but I think the first book was the best of the three. This one was so long and changed point of view way too frequently. I'm not a big fan of the YA genre's tendency to have the fate of everyone resting in the hands of teenagers and that was going on a bit too much here. This was an interesting series, but it was better when I was still guessing what was going on than it was once I had the answers. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
Remember the problems I mentioned about the previous installment in this trilogy, The Ask and the Answer? Remember how painful I said that book was? What with the rapidly shifting viewpoints, the problematic plot, and the hackneyed attempts at nefariousness? Remember how the bad guys magically wouldn't die in The Knife of Never Letting Go? Multiply all of that.

By a million.

Remember the not so subtle waterboarding? Remember the allusions to the Holocaust, to the Native American genocide? Remember all that? If you don't, you soon will because Jesus Christ nothing about this book is subtle. Add in some Christian allegory near the end and some new age mysticism so bad it looks as if The Secret, Avatar, and The Alchemist birthed a mentally disabled child and you have Monsters of Men.

The ending almost redeemed the book. By the ending I mean the last 20 pages. In a 600 page book. Almost. Then it failed. The hyphens had me wishing I went as blind as Lee, the view points (there are three of them) had me feeling as if the ROAR was rattling around in my own skull.

This book would be lovely for some people. Some people. This book was not lovely for me. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I still loved the first book the most. There were times I felt the characters were a little to unaware of what was really going on. I don't like when characters miss the obvious for plot reasons. I still loved this series. I would recommend it highly. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
This audiobook? Is the best. thing. ever. OMG, I think the audio left me more completely GUTTED than reading it did. LOVE THIS SERIES. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
I loved this book to put it simply. I loved the twists it added in for all of the characters in this final installment. The ending had me tearing up. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Who’s in the bunker?

Women and children first

And the children first

And the children

I laugh until my head comes off

I swallow ’til I burst

–Radiohead, “Idioteque”
For Denise Johnstone-Burt
"War," says Mayor Prentiss, his eyes glinting. "At last"
I am the Circle and the Circle is me
Boy Colt
"I hope I'd make the right choice, but, Viola, it is a choice. To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that's not how a person with integrity acts." (p. 182)

The electrifying finale to the multiple award-winning trilogy, Chaos Walking. "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge... The electrifying finale to the award-winning Chaos Walking trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.
Not a dry eye in
the house as Chaos Walking
trilogy concludes.
(passion4reading)
Peace with the Spackle
or does New World equal Old
World, but with new foes?
(passion4reading)

As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions, questioning all they have ever known as they try to step back from the darkness and find the best way to achieve peace.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,920,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible