The Lonely Scarecrow by Tim Preston

The Lonely Scarecrow (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Tim Preston

Member:rathsackfamily
Title:The Lonely Scarecrow
Authors:Tim Preston
Info:Dutton Juvenile (1999), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:scarecrow, fall, halloween

The Lonely Scarecrow by Tim Preston (1999)

In my opinion this book was a great introduction into to fall season with also re-enforcing inclusion trough the scarecrow growing to have friends throughout the season. I would recommend this book from pre-school to young elementary school age because I feel it teaches a good lesson to the young age group. As the Winter approaches the scarecrow becomes a snowman and the animals on the farm come up to him and all become friends. Then, when the snow melts the animals come to find out that the snowman is in fact the scarecrow and they all become friends knowing now that the scarecrow is not scary. I would say that the big idea in this picture book would be to not judge a person on how they might seem or are assumed to be, instead make your own judgment and conclusions on how you feel about a person. I like how it taught students to think out of the box on whether a scarecrow is actually scary or not. The reason why I did not give this book a higher rating was because I think the author could have uses a little bit of better figurative language on describing what the seasons were changing into. For example, if the author would have tapped into the readers senses and described what fall smelled like, sounded like, or felts like. Although, over-all I liked reading this book and it got me prepared for Fall and Winter to come. ( )
  isala1 | Oct 30, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 22, 2017 |
a little story about a scary scarecrow that becomes a wonderful snowman when it snows heavily. all the animals want to spend time with him then
1 book
  TUCC | Dec 5, 2016 |
26 months - Beautifully illustrated and embossed pages. Cute story, we like scarecrows and snowmen! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
nice feely pictures ( )
  mahallett | Feb 14, 2012 |

Tim Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kneen, MaggieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439206766, Paperback)

A kindly scarecrow wants to be friends with the birds and animals that play at the edge of his wheat field, but they are afraid of him because of his clothing and "his beady eyes, his crooked nose, and his jagged metal mouth." Many animals watch him, but none dare to approach him. As winter arrives, the creatures run home to their burrows and nests. Then one night, snow falls and turns the scarecrow into a jolly snowman, and the animals play with him. Though he is happy now, he worries that when the snow melts, he will be alone again. But his fears are unfounded; the animals are surprised to learn his true identity, but they love him just the same. The book owes much of its strength to Kneen's delicate renderings of farmyard creatures and nearly lifelike views of the scarecrow bursting from square framed seasonal vistas. The pleasingly plump animals look as snuggly as plush toys, and the scarecrow's emotions seem palpable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

A lonely scarecrow with a scary face has trouble making friends with the animals who surround him, until a heavy snowfall transforms him into a jolly snowman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible