The Great Reindeer Rebellion by Lisa…

The Great Reindeer Rebellion (edition 2014)

by Lisa Trumbauer, Jannie Ho (Illustrator)

Member:marcottm
Title:The Great Reindeer Rebellion
Authors:Lisa Trumbauer
Other authors:Jannie Ho (Illustrator)
Info:Sterling Children's Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages

The Great Reindeer Rebellion by Lisa Trumbauer

Christmas is coming, and Santa is frantic. The reindeer have just gone on strike! What's Santa to do? How will he deliver his toys to all the good little girls and boys? It's simple. Santa decides to write a help wanted ad. The response is overwhelming as all the animals line up for their chance to pull the famous sleigh. Who will make the cut? The dogs? The cats? The elephants? It's an all-out competition as the animals all try to do their best.

The Bottom Line: The little ones will adore this whimsical and lyrical holiday poem. The colorful artwork in a raised embossed style is sure to please both kids and adults alike. Highly recommended holiday reading for kids ages 4 - 8.

This review is also posted at the Mini Book Bytes Book Review Blog: http://minibookbytes.blogspot.com/ ( )
  aya.herron | Dec 6, 2010 |
Trumbauer, L. (2009). The Great Reindeer Rebellion. New York: Sterling.

Appetizer: When Santa's reindeer go on strike, he looks for replacement sleigh pullers. But it seems reindeer may be the best animals for the job.

The Great Reindeer Rebellion follows the form of The Night Before Christmas to share the story. It's illustrations are colorful and child-friendly, featuring a lot of animals with cute expressions.

When I first picked up The Great Reindeer Rebellion, I assumed by its size and the thickness of the pages that it was a pop-up book. So, I was kinda disappointed when I discovered that it wasn't. The pages are textured, with characters raised against the page. So, young readers may want to trace the animals on each page.

Dinner Conversation:

"'Twas the week before Christmas,
and somewhere up North,
dear Santa was frantic-
he paced back and forth.

He had just heard some news
that he sure didn't like:
It seemed that the reindeer
were going on strike."

"So Santa decided,
"That's fine! Be that way!
I'm sure I'll find others
who will pull my sleigh."

"Flamingos!" he summoned,
"It's your turn, let's go!"
And I must say your pink
looks divine in the snow."

To Go with the Meal:

The Click Clack Moo: Cows that type of the Christmas season, The Great Reindeer Rebellion is a fun read aloud for a teacher to share with students.

For activities, a teacher could have students draw want-ads for new sleigh pullers. Student could also vote for their favorite sleigh puller of the animals that answer the ads in the book. A teacher could encourage young kids to call out and names the animals pictured on each page, before reading the text.

If a teacher wanted to get a lesson out of the book, a teacher could discuss treating friends (or group members) fairly and trying to talk-out problems.

Tasty Rating: !!!
  SJKessel | Dec 24, 2009 |

In verse reminiscent of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," tells of the year the reindeer went on strike, forcing Santa to audition a series of other animals to take over their job.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,348,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible