Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh…

Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Caragh M. O'Brien

Member:mongoosenamedt
Title:Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy)
Authors:Caragh M. O'Brien
Info:Square Fish (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Books Read in 2014, Books Read in 2012

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic YA novel, set in a dystopic/post-apocalyptic universe where women are used for breeding and genetic engineering.

Of the four dystopian books I've read over the past month, "Birthmarked" would have to be my favorite. I found Gaia an interesting character, especially as she is a 16 year-old midwife who is compassionate, strong and determined. I also liked the premise of the book where children are taken from the underprivileged to save the well-to-do families in a post-apocalyptic society, and the fact that Gaia isn't the traditionally beautiful heroine usually found in these books. Also, even though there is a touch of romance in the book, it isn't instantaneous nor is it the main focus of the story making it more believable. Overall, a good read.
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
In a future world baked dry by the sun and divided into those who live inside the wall and those who live outside it, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone is forced into a difficult choice when her parents are arrested and taken into the city.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
It’s almost the 25th century and the world as we know it is gone. Global warming and climate issues have diminished the population and, what there is left is divided into two distinct classes; the Enclave and those living outside the wall. Gaia Stone is sixteen, and following in her mother’s footsteps offers midwifery services to the small part of town she lives in. However, that service to her community goes hand in hand with service to the Enclave, “advancing” the first three babies born every month to be adopted into the enclave. When her parents are arrested without explanation Gaia begins to question everything she ever considered normal in her life.

Ms. O’Brien has taken the dystopian future and made it very real and quite frightening. This is a compelling book from the first sentence and I had difficulty putting it down … finished it in two sittings. It is classified as YA, but like other books labeled YA (The Book Thief) it is definitely a good read for anyone. An awesome first book by the author.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
In memory of my father, Thomond R. O'Brien, Sr.
In the dim hovel, the mother clenched her body into one final, straining push, and the baby slithered out into Gaia's ready hands.

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,170,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible