Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh…

Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Caragh M. O'Brien

Member:mongoosenamedt
Title:Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy)
Authors:Caragh M. O'Brien
Info:Square Fish (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Books Read in 2014, Books Read in 2012

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic YA novel, set in a dystopic/post-apocalyptic universe where women are used for breeding and genetic engineering.

This is the first in a trilogy. A dystopian novel where the first baby born in a village is taken by the midwife and given to a walled city, where that baby is raised by a family who can afford luxuries. The narrator is a young girl apprenticing under her mother to be a midwife. When both her father and mother are taken prisoner inside the walled city, she is determined to get inside and save her parents from whatever fate awaits them. There's lots more to the story but that's enough to get you started. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jun 9, 2014 |
There's a bit of a dead spot about 1/3 of the way through, where I wasn't sure Gaia would ever stop being confused and naive, and it was starting to irritate me. She did, and the change was a tad abrupt, but I grew to like her anyway. I liked the secondary characters as well, or better.

(I wish I could give points off for bad copy-editing. Gah. Someone is getting paid to catch comma splices and know the difference between "eve" and "eave." They are not doing it. Rawr.)

More and other reviews on fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

What I Thought Then:
Oh boy, going back to my old reviews is humbling. My review, posted three whole days after my blog began, is a whopping two paragraphs. Here are the main points from my original review:

-Slow, steady pace
-Realistic characters
-Good descriptions of places and codes, but not of people
-More ‘traditional’ dystopia

What I Think Now:
Having reread this, I largely agree with my past self. Birthmarked certainly does have a much slower pace than the average dystopian novel, lacking both the adventure and heavy does of romance that typifies YA’s general take on the genre. I also concur with my rather simplified description of Birthmarked as a more traditional dystopian novel, meaning that it focuses more on world building than anything else, and does flip the supposed good society on its head as the heroine uncovers the secrets of the system.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | May 9, 2014 |
I have a feeling this is the month of not so great books for me that catch my interest. This is the second book of Apirl I have read and I just wasn't a fan. I will admit about a hundred pages away from finishing it I started skimming, because it just wasn't interesting to me. The plot, and world created seemed so amazing, but something in the book just fell flat for me. A decent read, but nothing amazing to me. A book you will either love or dislike. ( )
  Nick1967 | Apr 4, 2014 |
I didn't like that it ended with a cliffhanger but otherwise this was an excellent dystopian! Full review to come.
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
In memory of my father, Thomond R. O'Brien, Sr.
In the dim hovel, the mother clenched her body into one final, straining push, and the baby slithered out into Gaia's ready hands.

In a future world baked dry by the sun and divided into those who live inside the wall and those who live outside it, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone is forced into a difficult choice when her parents are arrested and taken into the city.

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible