Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh…

Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Caragh M. O'Brien

Member:mongoosenamedt
Title:Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy)
Authors:Caragh M. O'Brien
Info:Square Fish (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Books Read in 2014, Books Read in 2012

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Uglies (Uglies Trilogy, Book 1) by Scott Westerfeld (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic YA novel, set in a dystopic/post-apocalyptic universe where women are used for breeding and genetic engineering.

It’s almost the 25th century and the world as we know it is gone. Global warming and climate issues have diminished the population and, what there is left is divided into two distinct classes; the Enclave and those living outside the wall. Gaia Stone is sixteen, and following in her mother’s footsteps offers midwifery services to the small part of town she lives in. However, that service to her community goes hand in hand with service to the Enclave, “advancing” the first three babies born every month to be adopted into the enclave. When her parents are arrested without explanation Gaia begins to question everything she ever considered normal in her life.

Ms. O’Brien has taken the dystopian future and made it very real and quite frightening. This is a compelling book from the first sentence and I had difficulty putting it down … finished it in two sittings. It is classified as YA, but like other books labeled YA (The Book Thief) it is definitely a good read for anyone. An awesome first book by the author.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book is appealing because of the well written storyline and well written characters. The story itself makes this book a page turner, and the characters keep you on your toes. Once you start this book you won't be able to stop, and you shouldn't. However, before you go on to read the next book, Prized, I suggest you read Tortured. It gives a bit of insight into what happens between books. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
This book came to my attention after trying to read Vault of Dreamers (which I couldn't even finish). The premise was intriguing so I gave it a try despite my failure with VoD. This definitely feels like The Handmaid's Tale for teens but in the best way- breeding control, dystopian government, good writing. Although I was mad when I finished it (for I had assumed wrongly that it was a standalone novel), I immediately ordered the two subsequent titles. ( )
  Brainannex | Dec 28, 2014 |
A great YA read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  DonnaCallea | Nov 29, 2014 |
I thought the story was interesting enough to pull me in and keep reading. I could still put it down between chapters until about the last third of the book, then I had to finish it out. I am glad I had the serving book waiting for me because I started that one immediately.

As far as characters, while there is your typical heroine hates brooding hero set up, there is still enough originality to them that you don't just roll your eyes and write them off. The humility that the heroine displays also refreshing as opposed to the self loathing that many girl characters seem to have in YA books. ( )
  shannanwithana | Oct 26, 2014 |
In memory of my father, Thomond R. O'Brien, Sr.
In the dim hovel, the mother clenched her body into one final, straining push, and the baby slithered out into Gaia's ready hands.

In a future world baked dry by the sun and divided into those who live inside the wall and those who live outside it, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone is forced into a difficult choice when her parents are arrested and taken into the city.

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,057,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible