Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh…

Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Caragh M. O'Brien

1,2051146,655 (3.87)61
Member:mongoosenamedt
Title:Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy)
Authors:Caragh M. O'Brien
Info:Square Fish (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Books Read in 2014, Books Read in 2012

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic YA novel, set in a dystopic/post-apocalyptic universe where women are used for breeding and genetic engineering.

It was good. ( )
  RoseyEm | Jul 14, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

“Even the worst feeling, with time and familiarity, became tolerable.”
― Caragh O'Brien, Birthmarked.

I think that quote at the top, really says it all. It sort of sums up how I feel about this book as a whole. It was hard to get into, even with narration. The world it's set in is so dispiriting and peculiar (seriously, incest is not best). The characters needed more development, which is not to say that this book was short, because it was really too long. Which is odd that I think that, because it's not that long...but, I couldn't help feeling that it was.

The last 1/3 of the book did pick up and we finally got a chance to know someone other than Gaia. But this could be that I built up a tolerance (see quote above). Sadly, I am not sure if I want to continue this series or not.

Narration was performed by Carla Mercer-Meyer. She was OK, not noteworthy, but not horrible, either. She did speak very slowly, which drove me crazy and I could always hear when she took a breath. ( )
  Leah422 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I'm literally an hour and a half away from the end of this 13 hour book and I just can't do it.

The characters stink.
The love interests have zero chemistry.
The story is just boring.

I can't waste more time on this. There are books to be read. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Birthmarked hit upon many different keys of society and made me think, always a good thing in a book. I really felt for Gaia when she began to realize that the way her society did things was wrong and watched as her entire world fell apart. I've never been so interested in a book that held babies as a main component but I just couldn't seem to be able to put this book down until I had finished it. I am very glad for how the book ends and wonder what is in store for the next book in the series. As well as the fate of her new-found love. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I loved the romance in this book. Loved, loved LOVED. Okay? Okay. I also loved that it wasn't 100% obvious who the love interest was, at least at first. I was suspicious but NOT CERTAIN. Which I always enjoy, as opposed to meeting a new character who is pretty much wearing a neon sign saying "I exist to provide drama, angst, and love to the FMC!" And you're like okay.
And then they're so CUTE about it. They're all like...ridiculous. I'm going to resort to quoting from Snazel's review, because she is SO RIGHT:
"I really liked the characters here. They weren't the kind who start shouting about their emotions all over the page, which I have heard people complain about, because "you never get to know the characters," but I like it. I mean, how often in real life are we privy to people confessing exactly how that makes them feel in the middle of extensive trauma?"
(Btw visit Snazel's blog cuz she's awesome and reviews way more often than I do)
Back to Birthmarked. The plot is pretty classic dystopian YA: US has been pretty much leveled from some past event, most likely nuclear, and humans are scattered and just trying to survive, so the people with the bigger sticks end up being able to control and extort resources from the people with no sticks. Then, the MC starts realizing what's going on and is like Hey now don't be crazy.
The cool thing about this plot is that it's all about BABIES. I really liked Gaia's job. I liked seeing each birth that she helps with, and how each is different and how awesome and knowledgeable she is about birthing, even though she's so young. At one point I was thinking, "Aw, I want another birth scene!" Which...I don't normally think whilst reading.
Also did I mention the romance is awesome? Yes, yes I did.
I also liked the usefulness of all the characters, if you know what I mean. They all had very specific uses in the plot, the story, the world, or whatever...We LEARNED something from each character, none of them felt redundant. Even her parents were essential, who were not usually "on screen."
There are many mysteries in this book too, like what the Dead Forest is/does it actually exist, what is with the records and why is everyone so uptight about it, who are Gaia's brothers, why do people keep telling Gaia to go visit her dead grandmother, etc. Some mysteries are answered, some are not. Some I really wanted to be DISCUSSED at least, because I had major theories about them, but Gaia's just like "argh I don't get it" and that's all we get. So that was a little frustrating, but there IS a sequel coming, so as long as things are eventually answered, I'll be okay.
Okay so on to my major complaint about the book. Gaia, despite her incredible resourcefulness and bravery and all, isn't very...clever. The WHOLE mystery with the records, I was just like..."Duh." So when she finally figured it out, and was all like "OO MAJOR LIGHTBULB THIS IS INCREDIBLE" I was extremely underwhelmed. Also, I wanted her to THINK about her grandmother's name. JUST ONE MOMENT OF REFLECTION. And she never did. And I was like....wow. Come on. I don't know if the author thinks we're dumber than we are, or if it's just the way she's writing Gaia, but it could be very frustrating at times.
Soooo in conclusion...I have no conclusion! This was a well-plotted, well-characterized read, a little slow at points, but satisfying and still leaving you wanting more. Clever plot twists need not apply. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
In memory of my father, Thomond R. O'Brien, Sr.
In the dim hovel, the mother clenched her body into one final, straining push, and the baby slithered out into Gaia's ready hands.

In a future world baked dry by the sun and divided into those who live inside the wall and those who live outside it, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone is forced into a difficult choice when her parents are arrested and taken into the city.

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,326,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible