Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Still Missing (edition 2010)

by Chevy Stevens

Collections:2012 Readings, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, suspense

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Room by Emma Donoghue (cafepithecus)
    The Collector by John Fowles (avalon_today)
    I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I've read both -and enjoyed them very much. They are different -but also have much in common.
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85)
    The Surrogate by Tania Carver (maralee)

English (151)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  All languages (161)
One of the best mysteries (if a tad long) I've read in awhile. Stevens took risks which paid off. Having the narrator describe her psych sessions instead of employing dialogue between the two characters was gutsy.

The other greater risk was brilliant! You'll need to read the book to see what I mean. ( )
  Bookish59 | Jul 23, 2015 |
Didn't see that coming!!! ( )
  mootzymom | Jul 21, 2015 |
I have been overwhelmingly impressed with “first time” authors this year and this book is no exception. Annie O’Sullivan is just about to close up an open house when a last minute vistor walks in. Before she knows it she is bundled up into the back of a van, taken to a remote cabin in the woods and held captive for more than year.

Sounds like a plot that has been done hundreds of times? Maybe? But this one is well worth the read. It defines being a “page turner” with a twist that I really DID NOT see coming. Don’t pick up this book unless you are in a comfy chair because you will not want to put it down. Congrats to another up and coming young Canadian author.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
The first half of this book reminded me A LOT of the first half of "Above" by Isla Morley: Man abducts woman, attempts to create a life with her separate from the rest of civilization. What's especially interesting is that, in both books, you get to about halfway and there's a sense of climax, but that's really just the beginning of the story. The suspense of the initial plot is captivating in both books, but then there are unexpected turns.

"Still Missing" ends up much more twisted than it seems at first--and that's crazy considering the initial hook is a psychopath abducting a woman and keeping her in a cabin with him. For me, some of the plot points seemed too absurd, and I wasn't sure if the main character reacted to some of the circumstances in a believable way. BUT, I will say that I kept reading and I was interested in what would happen, so this is a good book in that way.

I was a little bothered by the mysterious shrink character, though she's not really a "character." She's like the nanny figure in the Muppet Babies--she's there, but she never says or does anything. That was a little strange to me, but I suppose it's an interesting way to structure the story. I'd be curious to hear what others think of that construct.

Overall, I've always liked Chevy Stevens as a writer. It's hard to believe "Still Missing" is her first book. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | Jul 5, 2015 |
******spoiler alert***********

This book had me gripped on the edge of my seat while reading it, it was brilliant!

I was really rooting for Annie and I felt her fear while she was kept captive by the evil freak. I cried when her beautiful baby, Hope died and i really felt like killing the freak!

When Annie buried that axe in his skull I was so overjoyed.

The book was worthy of five stars but the reason I gave it four was because when it transpired her mother was the one behind her getting abducted the reasons why that happened were weak and I felt like the author could have gone in a much more interesting direction such as implicating her best friend, boyfriend or both. Personally, I would have felt that would have been better in terms of the story.

All in all, I highly recommend it! I could not put this book down! ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
Stevens’ gripping debut novel starts at the end of Annie’s year-long ordeal, during which she was the physical and psychological captive of a blithe psychopath at his remote mountain cabin.. Stevens already has the goods for a strong career in psychological suspense.

The debut novel from local author Chevy Stevens, Still Missing is the story of a young female realtor who gets abducted by a psychopath with a wide range of creepy obsessions. Drugged and tossed in the back of a van, Annie O’Sullivan is held captive in a remote cabin on Vancouver Island... All in all, Stevens has given us a remarkably accomplished first novel.

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, who gave me an imagination.
You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312595670, Hardcover)

Product Description
On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a 32-year-old realtor, had three goals—sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all.

Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent as the captive of a psychopath in a remote mountain cabin, which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist, is a second narrative recounting events following her escape—her struggle to piece her shattered life back together and the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor.

Still Missing is that rare debut find--a shocking, visceral, brutal and beautifully crafted debut novel.

Amazon Exclusive: Lisa Gardner Reviews Still Missing

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after her hair caught on fire numerous times she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure, cutting edge forensics, and twisted plots into a streak of 11 bestselling suspense novels, including her most recent release, The Neighbor. Read her guest review of Still Missing:

Heading to a beach? Boy do I have the book for you!

Every now and then a new author comes along that totally knocks one out of the park. As a reader, I’m always thrilled to discover a great new voice. As a writer, of course I’m insanely jealous and suffer a terrible case of why-didn’t-I-think-of-that? Given that debut author Chevy Stevens is young, beautiful and talented, I’ve been gnashing my teeth for months!

Still Missing represents psychological suspense at its very best. Realtor Annie O’Sullivan is abducted from an open house and held captive for a year in a remote cabin by a sadistic survivalist who considers her to be his wife as well as preferred breeding stock. His goal is to get her pregnant and live creepily-ever-after as the last man and woman on earth. Her goal is to get away from him.

Now, you know Annie wins this war as the book opens with her talking to a therapist. So you may ask, where is the suspense? I can’t give you a simple answer to that, other than to say every page crackles with it.

Still Missing creates one of the most haunting narratives I’ve read in years. On the one hand, survivor Annie is tough, angry, and brittle. The very worst has happened to her, and she escaped through her own ingenuity and frankly, savagery. On the other hand, survivor Annie is jumpy, terrified, and sleep-deprived. All these months later, she still can’t pee “off schedule.” In one of the more moving scenes of the novel, she downs a gallon of iced tea in order to force herself to urinate by her own free will. She can’t do it.

In addition to her compelling heroine, Stevens has created one of the best psychopaths since Hannibal Lecter—and that’s not something I say lightly. Annie refers to her captor simply as The Freak. Much like Hannibal, The Freak considers himself to be a civilized human being. Intelligent, good looking and resourceful, he’s an excellent “husband.” He has provided a charming cabin. He supplies fresh food—sometimes so fresh that city slicker Annie must bleed it out first, but details, details. Of course he has expectations of his wife. She must be well groomed, properly garbed, and 100% submissive. All failures to comply are met with The Freak’s idea of appropriate punishment. The Freak is also thoughtful and tender. Want to stop sleeping for a few nights? Read the scene where The Freak first shaves Annie. And he means it in the nicest sort of way.

Stevens skillfully juxtaposes the back story of Annie’s captivity with the front story of a woman desperately trying to reclaim her old life. As with all great suspense novels, the surprises abound. Annie thought she’d survived the worst with The Freak. But has she?

As the taut cat and mouse game unfolds, you will cheer for Annie. You will hate The Freak. And you will be absolutely mesmerized by the last line of this novel. Then, most likely, you will return to page one, and start it all over again.

So give yourself a summer vacation. Check out debut author Chevy Stevens, and soon you will be Still Missing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:26 -0400)

Captured by a psychopath posing as an interested house buyer, realtor Annie spends a brutally traumatic year in captivity in a remote mountain cabin and recounts her experiences and dramatic escape to her therapist while agonizing over the ongoing policesearch for her captor.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,517,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible