Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger

Eternal on the Water

by Joseph Monninger

There are no fast paced dramatic scenes in this book and every page turned slowly--because I didn't want to leave such beautiful scenes. The conversations between characters, the descriptions of nature's magic, all so lyrical and flowing. I adored every character in this book--not just Cobb and Mary, but their family members and friends as well. I felt like Googling these people, finding them, meeting them somehow...amazing. There are no words to describe the love story between Cobb and Mary and the love story between the two of them and their loved ones.

I was reading a borrowed copy of this book and ordered my own copy after reading just a few pages--this one deserves my shelf space without a doubt. ( )
  Dana_Britt | Aug 25, 2014 |
The book was heart-felt and touching and the story was certainly memorable, but I just wasnt able to make a full connection with the characters. I believe the reason is because the tragedy hung over the entire story. I guess I might say that, in this case, it was a mistake to set the tone from the beginning, as the story never got out from under the tragic death. ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |
The audio for this had me on and off in tears for the last disk and a half. It's just a perfectly lovely story about two people -- from their meeting, whether destined or not -- to what happens to them. The story begins with the ending so you sort of know where you are along the way but it's beautifully written and there is so much extra in there from descriptions of the surroundings to animal behavior, including human, of course. Well worth the listening experience. ( )
  nyiper | Aug 22, 2013 |
Blech. It definitely kept my interest but not in a rewarding way. Sickeningly sweet and hard to swallow. Dancing bears and magic girl scouts. Not to mention perfect, loving family-members and a brilliant lad from the projects who plays the piccolo. Give me a break. ( )
  smetchie | Apr 2, 2013 |
Monninger has written two beautifully moving, read twice will surely read again. ( )
  plm1250 | Jul 30, 2012 |
To my students
They found Mary's body in Round Point.

From the day Cobb and Mary meet kayaking on Maine's Allagash River and fall deeply in love, the two approach life with the same sense of adventure they use to conquer the river's treacherous rapids. but rivers do not let go so easily... and neither does their love. So when Mary's life takes the cruelest turn, she vows to face those rough waters on her own terms and asks Cobb to promise, when the time comes, to help her return to their beloved river for one final journey. Set against the rugged wilderness of Maine, the exotic islands of Indonesia, the sweeping panoramas of Yellowstone National Park and the tranquil villages of rural New England, Eteranl on the Water is at once heartbreaking and uplifting - a timeless, beautiful rendered story of true love's power.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,801,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible