Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

Light on Snow (2004)

by Anita Shreve

Recently added byprivate library, lyndavaughan, JanetStreifel, tennwisc, librogurl, ReathaSorensen

Not bad. As a guilty pleasure, I generally like books written from an adolescent POV (as long as they're well written), and this was one of those. Nothing earth-shattering here, but it held my interest and certainly started off with a bang. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
I loved this book of Anita Shreve's too. Beautiful and haunting. Challenging and lovely. ( )
  wendyburrill | Mar 3, 2014 |
"In my mind I see a small stone dislodged in a wall, one stone shoved forward until it falls. The other stones shift and settle and try to fill in the space, but still there is a hole through which water, in the form of memory, begins to seep." (51)

Reeling from unspeakable tragedy, Robert Dillon recedes from life. Leaving behind family home and a successful career in architecture in New York, he uproots his twelve-year-old daughter, Nicky, and relocates to remote New Hampshire. On a December afternoon, the two discover an abandoned newborn wrapped in a bloody towel in the snow. Nicky, about to come of age, is jarred into the adult world; and, not surprisingly, she struggles with her understanding of that world and the adults who inhabit it. Simultaneously, a young woman must live the consequences of the terrible choices she has made. And a canny Detective demonstrates his sense of justice.

Light on Snow, effectively written from the point of view of thirty-year-old Nicky, is a story of tragedy and redemption, and of love and courage. I’ve now read several Shreve novels; I pick them up for easy reading and escape. This one did not disappoint.

"I thought about how one tiny decision can change a life. A decision that takes only a split second to make." (151) ( )
2 vote lit_chick | Jan 18, 2014 |
I've given this 2 stars but it's probably worth 2.5. Not enough for 3 though - although it was very readable, told through the eyes of a twelve year old girl, the ending was disappointing for me, and I didn't enjoy it as much as other books I've read from the same author. ( )
  shirleybell | Sep 26, 2013 |
Other reviews have laid out the story of 12 year old Nicky and her chance encounter with the teenage mother. The story reads smoothly and quickly and the characters are pretty believable, especially Nicky who at times seems a child and at other times, a young woman. A few incidents in the story are a bit of a stretch and I felt the ending week; however, good story, quick read, and great for light reading. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
For my mother
Beyond the window of my father's shop, midwinter light skims the snow.

Widow and his surviving daughter discover a neborn left to die in the snow. A mysterious visitor to their home turns out to be the baby's mother.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316014281, Mass Market Paperback)

What makes a family? That's what twelve-year-old Nicky Dillon wonders after she and her widowed father discover a wailing abandoned baby in the snow-filled woods near their New Hampshire home. Through the days that follow, the Dillons and an unexpected visitor who soon turns up at their door-a young woman evidently haunted by her own terrible choices-face a thicket of decisions, each seeming to carry equal possibilities of heartbreak and redemption. Writing with all the emotional resonance that has drawn millions of readers around the world to her fiction, Anita Shreve unfolds in Light on Snow a tender and surprising novel about love and its consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:41 -0400)

When a father and his daughter find an abandoned infant in the snow, the event forever alters the 11-year-old's understanding of the world. A brilliant and beautiful contemporary novel about love and memory from the author of the bestselling novels All He Ever Wanted and The Pilots Wife.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,530,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible