The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Classic…
Member:geoffgibbs
Title:The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Classic Star Wars)
Authors:L. Neil Smith
Info:Ballantine Books Inc. (1994), Edition: 1st Ballantine Books Ed, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:star wars, sci-fi

The Adventures of Lando Calrissian by L. Neil Smith

Though a fun read, Smith's characterization of Lando Calrissian feels off in these books. Lando comes across as a spacefaring Jay Gatsby. Instead, the most interesting character, who grows the most over the course of the three novels, is Lando's droid friend, Vuffi Raa. The story is burdened by Smith's libertarian views, creating a fierce belief in individualism that at times feels unreasonable. Lando, flaunting authority, openly insults authority figures who applaud him for his bravado, leading to several sequences that feel unrealistic, like they belong in Douglas Adams's work rather than a "Star Wars" book. Overall, though the books are fairly entertaining, the creation of a more fixed continuity Expanded Universe in the 1990s negates much of their content and the books suffer from Smith's heavy-handed libertarianism. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jun 17, 2014 |
I'm rating this and reviewing this for the record--it's something I'm trying to do for all the books I've read, or at least tried. But it's more the case than usual that my personal tastes factor into my reactions--this really just isn't a book for me. I actually was drawn to the book not because of Star Wars, but because of the author, L. Neil Smith. Smith is known as an author of "libertarian science fiction." His novel The Probability Broach is particularly well-known among libertarian circles. When I was newly drawn to those ideas, it was great seeing them reflected in fiction, even if years later, I do find Smith too heavy-handed in his message. (One novel of his I feel isn't is Crystal Empire, an alternate history with a powerful Sino-Aztec Empire.)

I've seen all the Star Wars films, but I can't really say I'm a fan, and other than this omnibus of three novels centering on the exploits of Lando Calrissian, I've never picked up a novel based on the franchise. Star Trek yes, Star Wars no. So maybe that was the problem, but I think I liked and knew Star Wars well enough I could enjoy a novel based on it if the story and writing were engaging enough. I just found this lifeless. I read through most of the first novel, Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu, and it never came to life for me. Lando and the whole plot struck me as cardboard. Smith is better than that--but I suspect he was drawn to Star Wars more for the paycheck than a love of the characters and world and it shows. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Apr 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345391101, Mass Market Paperback)

For the price of one, you get three Lando Calrissian novels: LANDO CALRISSSIAN AND THE MINDHARP OF SHARU, LANDO CLARISSIAN AND THE FLAMEWIND OF OSEON, and LANDO CALRISSIAN AND THE STARCAVE OF THONBOKA. You know him as a gambler, rogue, and con-artist; Lando's always on the frontier scanning his sensors for easy credits and looking for action in galaxies near and far.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,938,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible