The Rembrandt Affair by Daniel Silva

The Rembrandt Affair

by Daniel Silva

It has been six months since Gabriel's showdown with Ivan Kharkov. Now, having severed his ties with the Office, Gabriel has retreated to the Cornish coast with only one thing in mind: healing his wife, Chiara, after her encounter with evil. But an unspeakable act of violence once again draws Gabriel into a world of danger when an art restorer is brutally murdered and the newly discovered Rembrandt on which he is working taken.… (more)

English (48)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (50)
Another solid book in the Gabriel Allon series. Easy to read and a good, well thought out crime thriller. ( )
  niknar77 | Jul 20, 2018 |
Yet another great read about the great Gabriel Allon. This is one of the longest series of books I have read, and I have enjoyed each and every book. I love the way the author takes his time telling a story, providing important historical background. While the characters and many artifacts are fictional, they are stepped in real history and draw me in completely. I also love how even though Allon is a super spy, things do not always go according to plan and often people get hurt. It gives the stories of Silva more realism.

Glad there are a few more in this series. I hope Silva keeps writing them for years to come. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Like most of Silva's works, this one belongs at the head of the class. Unlike some of his works, however, this one does not suffer from a thin plot. Rather, it has a decent set of layers to the story. And the cast of regulars continues to be a nice blend of competent and capable and flawed and damaged, starting with Gabriel Allon, the art restorer and occasional (and reluctant) Israeli spy and assassin. In this outing, Allon is on the trail of a story dating back to World War II, brought to his attention by a Rembrandt painting that had been out of circulation since it was stolen by a Nazi during the war. And in tracing the history of the painting, a present-day threat is revealed. Silva is another in the minority of thriller writer who avoids the cheesy and over-the-top plotting and the one-dimensional black-and-white characters that are far too common in the genre. His thrillers read more like literature, and this one is no exception. And while I would give it 4.5 stars if I could (since there is no thing as a perfect book), this one, in particular, deserves to be recognized for being a particularly good outing by a particularly good author, and four stars just don't seem fair. It can be read as a standalone or as the latest in the series (as long as you don't mind some spoiler-ish backstory summaries here and there), and I can't recommend it highly enough. Good stuff. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Quick read. Perhaps a little of a format, but Silva's books are exciting, fast moving, well verse. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
As enjoyable and complex and rapidly readable as previous books. I like this Gabriel Allon series! ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
Behind every great fortune lies a great crime. - Honoré de Balzac
For Jeff Zucker, for friendship, support, and personal courage.

And as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
By coincidence it was Timothy Peel who first learned that the stranger had returned to Cornwall.

When an art restorer friend is murdered and a Rembrandt painting with a mysterious past is stolen, Gabriel Allon and his wife, Chiara, come out of self-imposed retirement to investigate the crime. Allon, an art restorer himself and a master spy for the Israeli Mossad, is pulled into a race across the globe against powerful men who will do anything to keep the truth hidden. The complex plot twists and turns from one country to the next, from a Holocaust survivor's memories of being a little girl hiding from the Nazis to the present-day world of international high finance.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,779,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible