No title

Info:
Collections:
Tags:British Lit

Little Hands Clapping by Dan Rhodes

The Hitman Diaries by Danny King (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Both with a dark sense of humour
    Le Magasin des Suicides by Jean Teule (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Authors with similar dark senses of humour.
    Ten Sorry Tales by Mick Jackson (sanddancer)
    Kneller's Happy Campers by Etgar Keret (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: Both darkly humorous and imaginative takes on the subject of suicide.

A comic macabre story about a old man living about a museum of suicide, a Dr and a series of grotesque crimes.... I love Dan Rhodes. I thought was rather convoluted to begin with, but he wove the threads together, and by the end I was convinced. Very funny and very moving. ( )
  marek2010 | Nov 28, 2013 |
Strange book, this... very very weird subjects, but written in a really funny way, and more of 'intermingled' short stories rather than a continuous plot.
And quite a surprise to find portuguese characters here! ( )
  ScarletBea | Apr 5, 2013 |
all'inizio mi era sembrato un pò confuso,ma quando la storia ha ingranato,ne è venuta fuori una favola tenera,divertente e originale!molto carino! ( )
  CinnamonTea | May 1, 2012 |
How to describe this book? Well it’s a modern day fairy tale and is funny, macabre, innocent, idealistic, realistic and taboo breaking. It’s also beautifully written and at times unremittingly perceptive of the human condition, “She felt numb. Then she felt sick. Then came a raging pain, as if insects were trapped inside her body and struggling to scrape their way out through her skin. One by one these insects gave up and she felt numb again. She hoped this would last, but soon the nausea returned, and the scraping. Her eyeballs throbbed.” This was recommended to me, with some hesitancy, by the manager of my local independent book shop. I understand her hesitancy as I’m a uncertain as to how I feel about this book as at times it feels a little unnecessarily gruesome and the plotting is a little uneven. ( )
  riverwillow | Mar 20, 2011 |
An interesting read which fluctuates between dark cynical plot lines to simple innocent ones. The main plot is based upon the life of a suicide museum in a quiet little town. The main characters seemingly non caring attitude to life provides a contrast to the youthful innocence of other characters and driven nature of the doctor. Well worth a read if you like dark humour and provides an insight into the way we treat death. ( )
  snmacd | Jun 2, 2010 |

'Little Hands Clapping' brings together the Old Man with the respectable Doctor Ernst Frohlicher, his greedy dog Hans and a cast of grotesque and hilarious townsfolk, all of whose lives are thrown together as the town uncovers a crime so outrageous that it will shock the world.… (more)

28 wanted2 pay1 pay

Canongate Books

Two editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847675298, 1847675301

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,471,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible