So Much for That: A Novel (P.S.) by Lionel…

So Much for That: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Lionel Shriver

Member:deargreenplace
Title:So Much for That: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Lionel Shriver
Info:Harper Perennial (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:fiction, borrowed, marriage, escape, ennui, parenting, illness

So Much For That by Lionel Shriver (2010)

Shortly after starting this novel, I realized I may not be up for books described as "searing." I didn't dislike the writing or the rich detail, but I was put off by the subject matter (terminal illness and the terrors of health care) and the way in which characters seemed crafted to advance particular points of view. This was simply too issues-oriented for my taste.
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
When I commenced reading this book I wondered whether it was a wise choice as I have an old school friend losing the battle with cancer. For many this would seem a grim, uncomfortable read but the skill of this author is that yes she takes us inside the lives of Shep and Glynis Knacker as they are confronted with the devastating news and change of life plans.
In fact, for Shep, who announces to his wife that he has bought one-way tickets to the island of Pemba, for them to begin an alternative life, the news is twice as shocking. His nest egg that he has accumulated by hard work and thrift, to buy a simple life in a Third World country is about to be eroded by the exorbitant medical costs of trying to cure his wife of a terminal illness, despite health insurance.
This is a challenging and serious look at a modern day problem and the ethics of maintaining life no matter what the cost.
The character portrayals of Shep and Glynis and of their close friends Jackson and Carol, whose daughter was born with a rare debilitating illness, are powerfully portrayed. At no point did the rendering of this tale reduce this reader to tears, unusual given the topic, but it did give me an uncomfortable, soul searching, thought provoking but nonetheless page turning read. With deftness, the author even manages an uplifting ending. ( )
1 vote HelenBaker | Oct 6, 2013 |
I don't think Shriver meant to describe her own book with the following passage, but she did:

"Remember how sometimes, in the middle, a movie seems to drag? I get restless, and take a leak, or go for popcorn. But sometimes, the last part, it heats up, and then right before the credits one of us starts to cry - well , then you forget about the crummy middle, don't you? YOu don't care about the fact that it started slow, or had some plot twist along the way that didn't scan. Because it moved you, because it finally pulled together, you think, when you walk out, that it was a good movie, and you're glad you went."

Except I'm not particularly glad I went or, in this case, read. It wasn't terrible but it definitely wasn't great either. Most of the characters were so damn unlikeable that it was hard to muster up any sympathy for them. Even worse, though, were the multiple page long rantings about government, healthcare, evil insurance companies, etc. etc. etc. I'm well aware that those issues form the basis of Shriver's novel; however, the rabidness of the delivery was off putting and their sheer verbosity caused my eyes to glaze over and start skimming - probably not the effect Shriver intended. That said, I'm probably not Shriver's intended audience either.

Regardless, I'm reserving full judgement until after I've read [b:The Post-Birthday World|393060|The Post-Birthday World|Lionel Shriver|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174407431s/393060.jpg|953226] and [b:We Need to Talk About Kevin|80660|We Need to Talk About Kevin (P.S.)|Lionel Shriver|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170984758s/80660.jpg|3106720], both of which I have on my bookshelves at home. She's a very talented writer and I'm hoping that this is just a case of the subject matter and the reader not clicking. ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Loved it. Love her books. Cried cried and cried. Perfect ending.
  Pinky22 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Wow. This is a hard book to read, and all the more so because many of the characters are equally hard to find empathy for.

We follow the lives of two married couples, Shepherd and Glynis, and Carol and Jackson. All are close friends, with Shep and Jackson working together. Originally, Shep was the owner of the handyman company, but made the decision to sell so that he could use the proceeds to fund his escape to the "afterlife" - his dream of living in Africa on minimal funds as simply as possible.

Shep is perceived as a dreamer by his wife and their friends, who never believe that he'll act on his plans. As we meet him, he has lived a straight and respectable life, though we can see that his morality is continually taken advantage of.

The prospect of death looms throughout the book, for reasons I won't go into here, but the book's lesson is about life.

I'm starting to think that Shriver has been quite underrated. It is important to write about the things that no-one wants to talk about, and her personal reasons for writing the book (outlined in the acknowledgements) emphasise this importance.

****editing as I've been prompted by abbottthomas's review below to mention the NHS in the UK. How any American could object to national subsidised healthcare after reading this book is beyond me. Where would you find hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide medicine and care for someone you love if they become ill? Social care is not the same as socialism. ( )
  deargreenplace | Feb 27, 2013 |
Though there is one farcical plot development that is poorly woven into the emotional fabric of the story, and though some of the asides about health care feel shoehorned into the narrative, the author’s understanding of her people is so intimate, so unsentimental that it lofts the novel over such bumpy passages, insinuating these characters permanently into the reader’s imagination.

Shriver's fearlessly candid approach to illness may be laudable, but eventually it begins to feel less like nerviness and more like sadism. She doesn't try to move readers to tears (which is good, since none were shed), but rather to provoke anger. She does this. But by the end of So Much for That, we're not motivated to write our lawmakers to demand better health care; we just want an aspirin.

Time is money.
-BENJAMIN FRANKLIN,
Advice to a Young Tradesman, 1748
To Paul. In loss, liberation.
What do you pack for the rest of your life?

The extraordinary new novel from the Orange Prize winning author of 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'. What do you pack for the rest of your life? Shepherd Knacker is bored with his humdrum existence. He's sold his successful handy-man business for a million dollars and is now ready to embark on his 'Afterlife' - a one way ticket to a small island off the coast of Africa. He tries to convince his wife Glynis to come with him, but she laughs off the idea as preposterous.There's no way she'll let Shepherd uproot the family to some far-flung African island. When Glynis is diagnosed with an extremely rare and aggressive form of cancer, Shepherd's dreams of an exotic adventure are firmly put on hold. He devotes himself to caring for his sick wife, watching her fade before his eyes. Shepherd's best friend Jackson knows all too well about illness. His sixteen year old daughter has spent her life dosed up on every treatment going while he and his wife Carol feed their youngest daughter sugar pills so she won't feel left out. But then Jackson undergoes a medical procedure of his own which has devastating consequences ! So Much For That is a deeply affecting novel, told with Lionel Shriver's trademark originality, intelligence and acute perception of the human condition.

"A novel about a crumbling marriage resurrected in the face of illness, and a family's struggle to come to terms with disease, dying, and the cost of medical care in modern America"--Provided by publisher.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,818,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible