Think Twice by Lisa Scottoline

Think Twice (edition 2010)

by Lisa Scottoline

Member:pandalibrarian
Title:Think Twice
Authors:Lisa Scottoline
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:To read

Think Twice by Lisa Scottoline

I started this book and then apologized to my husband, because I did not put the book down until I finished it. What an exciting book, and being a twin, I especially enjoyed the twin part. The plot could be considered unbelievable to my way of thinking but to those whom are evil, I suppose this could be a reality. Years ago, there was a school bus buried;, with the children in it, so NOTHING is beyond evil. If you like mystery, family, friends, and lovers intertwined in your readings, this is the one for you. And if you haven't ever read a mystery, THIS is the one to start with. I heartily recommend this book to all who love a great plot. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 11, 2014 |
It has the same story as the novel (duh!) which probably made it less exciting. I was a bit disappointed with the drawings. Percy and Annabeth and the others has these weird expressions which makes their faces quite "ugly". If you're a fan then you can buy this one but if not then I suggest that you stick with the novels themselves. Overall, it was an easy read. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 17, 2014 |
I had no idea that this was part of a series till well into the CD's. I think I would have liked to have known for some of the back story but I think this stood alone very well.

Alice drugged her twin sister, Benny, and took over her life. There is a little too much death for me, I think the story could of been told just as well with less people dying but I enjoyed it. Now to go back to the begging or just move forward.

jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
"Think Twice" by Lisa Scottoline

Fantastic book! Lisa Scottoline is a master at writing suspense. Identical twins, one evil, one good. One wanting what the other has. What does that equal to you? You got it. Chaos. Without giving too much away, I'll tell you this: one twin (Alice) buries the other (Bernie) alive. Alice has her reasons, as twisted as they are. Bernie manages to free herself and literally gives Alice a run for her money.

Give yourself a break and read this one. But warning: once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down. ( )
  StarrReina | May 23, 2013 |
The biggest mystery in this book is not one of who-did-what or will-that-someone-get-her-comeuppance? The biggest mystery is one of IQ. How could so many purportedly intelligent or capable or trained minds have been so impossibly dumb?

*****WARNING: DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, PLOT SPOILERS APLENTY AHEAD*****

Brilliant and successful lawyer, “Bennie,” has a body to die for — and an an identical evil twin, Alice. Both women are so driven — Bennie in a “good” way and Alice in an “evil” way — that neither one has developed any close friendships with members of either gender. But Bennie has at least managed to accumulate $3 million in liquid assets. Apparently, evil doesn’t pay as well, since Alice has only got a few thousand from a sideline selling illegal drugs, a Toyota instead of a Lexus, and a gangster trying to kill her.

As the book opens, Alice has decided to solve her problems by burying Bennie alive, stealing her identity, and making off with all that cash that Bennie has so cleverly left lying around. Bennie walks right into a ruffie because even after having gotten Alice off a murder rap that involved her selling recreational drugs with a cop, Bennie is utterly clueless about the depths of her sister’s depravity.

Fortunately for Bennie, however, Alice doesn’t kill her. Bothered by the thought of seeing her “own face on a dead body,” Alice instead compassionately chooses to bury Bennie alive in a wooden box — I guess so that she can be bothered by the image of her own face gasping her last while trying to claw her way out of a coffin. It takes Bennie only three days, a _deus ex machina_ in the form of massive haying equipment, and a retarded wolf to escape from the box.

Meanwhile, Alice has appropriated Bennie’s car, house, password list, boyfriend, and business. She immediately begins schlepping Bennie’s moola into a Bahama-based bank, and develops a closer relationship with one of Bennie's legal minions than Bennie has ever managed.

Oh, did I mention Bennie’s dog, Bear? Bear is a “huge” dog who is subdued by a few kicks from Alice and a nudge down the cellar stairs. Alice arranges to have Bear put to sleep, but Bennie’s boyfriend-who-got-away-but-who’s-conveniently-back-now instead arranges for the dog to have risky surgery, which ultimately saves this utterly worthless watch dog.

You know, while reading this book, I spun a half dozen plots-that-never-existed about how various people in Bennie’s life suspected that something was up, only to realize that apparently, no, they were all absolutely as dumb as lumber.

The only one to suspect was a supposedly wildly successful junior member of the law firm whose business image involved dressing like Ronald McDonald and dying her hair to match. Are we surprised that no one listens to her? I’m haunted by the image of Ronald McDonald serving as my defense attorney.

Did I mention the frightening uber-witch from Italy? The fake super-strega with a British accent, Armani dresses, and designs on a junior law partner’s deaf and dumpy father? Did I mention that _she_ is the real hero of this story? The only one who can (magically, I guess) tell the difference between a psychopath and a tin-plated saint? The only one who can (magically, I guess) figure out where, geographically, this will all end up and show up just in time to keep our heroine from murdering her deserving evil twin?

Once Bennie is induced to abandon her I-guess-I’m-as-evil-as-you-are pose, she immediately morphs back into Wonder Woman, and all is forgiven as she resumes the reins of her empire.

Oh, and whatever happens to Alice? Given Bennie’s epiphany, Alice becomes so unimportant that the author never even bothers to wrap up that loose end. Saying that “she’s as good as dead already,” is apparently more than enough resolution for those of us who wade through to the end.

Here’s the one good thing I can say about this book — and it is actually a very good thing — I started the book last night and stayed up all night to finish it. So, it does grab and hold one’s attention, even if much of that attention is devoted to spinning alternate plots or marveling at the Munchkin-like size of the cast’s communal IQ.

To be fair to the author, she obviously spent some mental effort on backstory and motivations. It’s just that she either missed or ignored the huge amount of stupidity required to get this plot to work.

For reasons of full disclosure, please note that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. ( )
  CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforth art thou also dead--dead to the world, to heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist--and in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself.
--Edgar Allan Poe, "William Wilson"
For my mother, with love and gratitude.
Bennie Rosato didn't have anything in common with her identical twin, except DNA.

Bennie Rosato looks exactly like her identical twin, Alice Connolly, but the darkness in Alice's soul makes them two very different women. Or at least that's what Bennie believes, until she finds herself buried alive at the hands of her twin and sets herself on a course to stay alive long enough to exact revenge.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Think Twice by Lisa Scottoline was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible