The Prodigal Wife by Marcia Willett

The Prodigal Wife (edition 2009)

by Marcia Willett

Member:littlegreycloud
Title:The Prodigal Wife
Authors:Marcia Willett
Info:Corgi (2010), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:My library, All books
Tags:novels, unread, English writers, women writers, bought in 2011, Chadwick Family

The Prodigal Wife: A Novel by Marcia Willett

In view of the older reviews, I would just like to point out that this book is a continuation of the Chadwick Family Chronicles -- hence the "the numerous characters" who are just mentioned -- and it doesn't stand well on its own as it's basically a matter of wrapping up loose ends. (Personally, I also think it's the weakest volume of the series.) Don't start here, start with "Looking Forward".
  littlegreycloud | Dec 4, 2012 |
I'd never read Marcia Willett and looked forward to 'trying out' a new author. However, this book didn't work for me. The characters are interesting, so is the story, but it just wasn't getting there fast enough. I gave up from sheer frustration halfway through the book. Keeping track of the numerous characters, many of whom we never really meet, only hear about, at least not in the first half, is also a challenge. ( )
  Celebryson | Nov 2, 2011 |
Willett is a consistently good author of women's fiction and this was no exception. It took me a while to figure out who's who but once I did, I was hooked. Willett explores family pressures forcing choices, children of fractured families, strengths of extended families and should parents be friends with their adult children. All takes place in the beautiful English countryside, complete with dogs and the seaside. An enjoyable winter read. ( )
1 vote ccayne | Jan 28, 2011 |
Marcia Willet's latest book, The Prodigal Wife, will not disappoint her many fans. The story centers around Jolyon Chadwick, a newly famous television personality. Handsome and charming he nevertheless suffers a lack of confidence as a consequence of his mother's ill treatment and ultimate abandonment. Now his mother is back, stirring up the past, just when he has finally found a girlfriend who loves and understands him.
Marcia Willet combines interesting and realistically drawn characters who you can't help but like with gorgeous depictions of the sea and country side. The plot is unique with romantic twists and a mystery with a surprise ending. Everything comes together for an entertaining, easy read. ( )
1 vote frisbeesage | Apr 25, 2010 |

“Deservedly compared to her countrywomen, Binchy and Pilcher, Willett is an equally gifted storyteller.”—Booklist

In Marcia Willett’s latest novel, Jolyon, who had been abandoned by his mother, Maria, is living at the Keep with his father and his stepmother Fliss. Now that Jolyon is a successful television presenter of gardening programs, the recently widowed Maria, lonely and impressed by her son’s fame, reappears and hopes to step back into his life. But Jolyon finds it difficult to trust his mother and forgive the hurt she had inflicted on him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:43 -0400)

Having achieved success as a television presenter of gardening programs, Jolyon is visited by the recently widowed mother who abandoned him, Maria, but he finds it difficult to trust her and forgive the hurt she inflicted.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible