Blood Vines by Erica Spindler

Blood Vines (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Erica Spindler

Member:EricaSpindler
Title:Blood Vines
Authors:Erica Spindler
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:wine country, suspense

Blood Vines by Erica Spindler (2010)

I rate books by my ability to put them down. If I can, they don't reach the top of my pile. While I COULD put it down, I was also happy to pick it back up again. It was worth the overdue fine at the library. I though I would get more wine country, but it was a book about personal relationships and family ties set against the backdrop of California Wine Country. Fast paced action, a bit of steaminess, and enough murder and mystery to keep the reader engaged, Blood Vines will while away the hours and challenge your mind to find out who is behind all the blood. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
From Amazon:

When Alexandra Clarkson starts having terrifying visions filled with blood and ceremonial images, she tries to find a rational explanation – maybe her mind is playing tricks on her, resurrecting creepy tableaux from her research on religious ceremonies and sects. But when Alex’s mother, Patsy, commits suicide without leaving behind any information, Alex is left wondering: could she be haunted by something from the childhood she doesn't remember?

My Thoughts:
Erica Spindler's [Copycat was one of the best books I have read this year, so I was slightly disappointed in this one. I just couldn't get into this one. The info on wine country was great and not excessive. But the characters had no depth. I really didn't care about any of them and the ending was disappointing as not everything was resolved. There was a sort of romance. I didn't really get the thing with Alex and Reed. They never went out in public together and half the time Reed thought Alex was a murderer. So, all I can say was it was okay and give it 3 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I normally love Erica Spindler's books, but this one left me kind of shrugging my shoulders. The story feels more about the setting - Sonoma County, California, or Wine Country. We learn about wine, take a tour through a winery, find out about the caves once used to keep the wine cool. At times I felt a bit like a tourist. Pretty much everyone always has a wine glass in his/her hand.

The characters feel secondary, as if they've been placed there as accessories. I didn't find them particularly well developed or believable. Given the circumstances of Alex's upbringing and her impulsive decision to move to new area, she should have been, for the most part, an independent person. But she's often needy and unstable.

The plot is interesting and has some good twists. It also has a couple holes that were never filled in, and it sometimes feels forced.

Despite all this, there is no denying Spindler's storytelling ability. I just did not feel this story lived up to her ability. ( )
  Darcia | Feb 9, 2014 |
Storyline by Ms. Spindler ? = 4 stars. Original and filled with twists and turns! Definitely a GREAT READ. But I suggest bypassing the audio version.
Narration by Ms. Cassidy ? = 2.5 stars So-so. Her voice inflections were appropriate for the storyline and well done; but her characters voices were inconsistent enough that it was often difficult to determine which character was speaking. ( )
  Conkie | Jun 2, 2012 |
Thirty-something Alex Owens knows very little about her childhood or who she really is, her only family an absent, emotionally fragile mother. Alex spent most of her adulthood searching for the missing link, drifting from job to job, relationship to relationship. But when an infant's remains are unearthed in her hometown in back-country California, Alex suddenly realises that she has a connection to the case. As if opening Pandora's box, long-lost memories start flooding in, dark and terrifying nightmares that haunt her every waking moment. When she arrives in Sonoma, the tight-knit community greets Alex with silence and suspicion, but Alex presses on, determined to get to the heart of a secret no one wants to see uncovered. As more violent deaths and a series of deadly rituals shock the small town, Alex is finally forced to confront the terrible truth about a single night that changed her family's lives forever...

My Thoughts:

I read this book thinking that ES may have crossed over to the supernatural genre, going by the cover which has a pentagram on it. I’m so glad that ES hasn’t because she is a brilliant romantic/ suspense writer. The crime involved does feature worship/ cult in a small town but has nothing to do with supernatural.

Again another very good by ES who sometimes like all authors can produce books that are not always their best. This one however is a good read with the usual twists and turns and of the romance between the two main characters.

If you like ES or the romantic/suspense genre then this book is well worth reading. ( )
  tina1969 | Oct 11, 2011 |
“Blood Vines”, Erica Spindler’s newest creation is the perfect mix of suspense and intrigue and with each turn of the page, the real world fades away exceeding our expectations.

Meet Alexandra Clarkson, a beautiful young woman struggling with an incomplete past. Unwilling to accept the possibility that she is virtually alone in the world after the death of her bi-polar mother; Alex is drawn to an obscure clue leading to a dark and dangerous past. Packed with gripping characters and attention-grabbing conflict deep into the heart of California wine country, Spindler has you questioning whether some secrets are best left buried.

Spindler, Ericaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassidy, OrlaghReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who nurture the vines and craft 'the drink of the gods' from their fruit.

In this bare-knuckled adrenaline ride from New York Times bestselling author Erica Spindler, Alex Clarkson’s worst nightmares are about to come true…

A sinister, hooded figure…

When Alexandra Clarkson starts having terrifying visions filled with blood and ceremonial images, she tries to find a rational explanation – maybe her mind is playing tricks on her, resurrecting creepy tableaux from her research on religious ceremonies and sects.  But when Alex’s mother, Patsy, commits suicide without leaving behind any information, Alex is left wondering: could she be haunted by something from the childhood she doesn’t remember?

Naked, writhing bodies…

Detective Daniel Reed was the last person to speak to Patsy.  What he reveals to Alex is shocking. Twenty-five years earlier, Patsy was married to Harlan Sommer, one of Sonoma County’s most prominent vintners, when their infant son disappeared without a trace.  The loss destroyed the Sommers’ marriage, causing Patsy to leave and take Alex with her.

A dead child…

Called on to investigate the identity of a baby’s remains unearthed in a Sonoma vineyard, Reed had picked up a trail that led him to Patsy in San Francisco.  Now Reed and Alex both wonder if the cold bones could be her baby brother Dylan, and Alex decides to accompany Reed back to Sonoma for the investigation.  No sooner does she arrive, however, than she is drawn deep into the search for a twisted killer…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

Following her mother's suicide, Alexandra Owens decided to visit the last person known to have talked to her mother, Detective Daniel Reed. She's shocked to learn that her mother had once been married to a wealthy vintner and an infant son had disappeared. When the marriage ended, Alex's mother left with Alex and moved to San Francisco. Now the bones of an infant had been unearthed in a Sonoma vineyard. Could her mother have killed her baby brother? Alex and Detective Reed investigate.… (more)

Erica Spindler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible