Deep Shadow by Randy Wayne White

Deep Shadow

by Randy Wayne White

Synopsis: Doc, Tomlinson, Arlis (an old hunting buddy), and Will (a young Indian from Arizona who is working off some criminal charges) are going out do dive in a sink hole. Arlis has bought the land with the sink hold because he is convinced that a plane from Cuba loaded with gold went down in that water. The rancher wanted to see the area because of the giant alligator that had for years been killing full grown cattle and hadn’t ever been caught. Meanwhile in another part of Florida, two ex-cons decided to rob an old man. What they didn’t count on was that he’d have a shot gun; they killed him, his housekeeper and her family then went on the lam. As luck would have it, they end up in the area that Doc and company are exploring; the legend of the giant gator is a reality, but it’s not a gator. It’s something much worse.

Review: This is one of RWW’s best stories. However, I didn’t like the extensive background given for all of the characters between the actual action. It was as though he had a word quota to fill. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 7, 2016 |
Doc Ford wrestles more than one kind of demon - many dangers can be found in the deep - the worst of them are human. Thirty minutes into what should have been an easy, beginners-level dive in a remote Florida lake, the rim of a cave collapses, trapping two of Doc Ford's friends. Ford himself manages to escape and quickly surfaces to find help - but that's when his troubles only begin. Two men are waiting for him on the shore, and they are not the kind of men you want to meet at any time. ( )
  jepeters333 | Nov 1, 2015 |
A treasure dive turns nightmarish for Doc Ford & his team when an overhang collapses on two friends and the remaining team member gets a surprise visit from two ex-cons hiding from the police. But that's just the beginning. Read-alikes: Cussler. A lot like "Sea Hunt" with Lloyd Bridges! ( )
  jenzbaker | Jan 13, 2015 |
Danger runs rampant in this thriller. In a race against time, it is a tossup as to what is most life-threatening. Is it the lake where underwater caves may prove to be treacherous? Is it a couple of on-the-run killers who will do anything to get what they want? Or is there an even more threatening being that has no restraints at all? In this adventure story, Doc Ford’s diving companions are trapped beneath the water and time and air are running out for them. But above ground, Doc and his friend Arlis are being held captive by two men who only want gold and the keys to Arlis’s truck. The playing ground evens out somewhat when a third menace is thrown into the mix – a creature whose only thought is to feed. Tension builds slowly but consistently in this suspenseful tale. Because this is the 17th installment in the series, people who have not been following the characters from the beginning may think it lacks character development or has some unanswered questions. All the more reason to read the rest of the series! A gripping tale. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 10, 2014 |
Randy Wayne White has written 16 previous novels about the same hero that appears in Deep Shadow but I hadn't read any of them. This book was a gift to me some time ago and I just now got around to reading it. Now I think, if my heart can stand it, I'll look for the rest of his books. He's also written nonfiction about sea creatures and travel, and he lives in Florida where he used to be a fishing guide.

I like the hero, Marion "Doc" Ford, who is a biologist who supplies fish. Two of his best friends are funny characters. Captain Arlis Futch is an old swamp expert, Tomlinson is a hippie who smokes too much pot but has a good heart, and Will Chaser is an Indian teenager who has been brought to Florida to learn more about diving. These four guys are very entertaining and we get to know all of them well, as we hear their individual experiences and point of view.

The reason my heart has something to do with whether I read more of these novels is that I read this book alternately clenching my jaw, holding my breath, and fighting the need to do anything but read. In fact, my jaw aches today after finishing the book this morning.

Capt. Futch talks the other three into going with him to a teardrop shaped lake he found. He's positive it's where a plane loaded with gold crashed in late 1958. That was when Castro was closing in on Cuba's leader, Batista, so Batista loaded four planes with gold raided from the treasury and anyplace else it was stashed and fled the island. Three of the planes landed safely but the fourth apparently wandered off course and was never found. Futch has actually bought the land the lake is on so they can dive and look for the plane, because he has found gold coins and a broken propeller.

They think they're alone but unfortunately a couple of really desperate bad guys are watching. There is also apparently some kind of "creature" in the lake area that has been killing a neighbors cattle. Spooky enough for you?

I learned a lot about what's under what we all see and enjoy in Florida. There are limestone caves and underground rivers. There are also many exotic animals living and breeding there. They had been brought into the country, then escaped or were simply turned loose to thrive in the swamps of the state. Very interesting stories.

I think this is meant to be a guy's novel, but it's full of all the ingredients for making your heart race as you turn the pages. Great story that I highly recommend if you like action and danger. ( )
  bjmitch | Oct 31, 2011 |
This book is for my pals Mark Marinello and Coach Marty Harrity, who lured me back to Dinkin's Bay.
Tuesday morning, King was watching the sky, relieved there were no search helicopters plowing the horizon, like the day before, and he thought, Good.

Doc Ford wrestles more than one kind of demon, in the stunning novel from the New York Times-bestselling author.

Many dangers lurk in the deep-the worst of them are human.

Two men are waiting for him on the shore, and they are not the kind of men you want to meet at any time. Murderers and ex-cons, they're intent on diving to the bottom of the very deep lake and uncovering the remains of a legendary plane wreck there, supposedly loaded with Cuban treasury gold. Ford's ex­pertise is just what they need. And if he doesn't want to help? He can die. His friends? They can die, too. In fact, they can die right now. . . .

As the hours tick away, two mortal struggles unfold simulta­neously, one above and one below. Neither outcome is certain, no man is safe . . . and in the deep shadow, only death awaits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:00 -0400)

"Many dangers lurk in the deep-the worst of them are human. Thirty minutes into what should have been an easy, beginner-level dive in a remote Florida lake, the rim of a cave collapses, trapping two of Doc Ford's friends. Ford himself manages to escape and quickly surfaces to find help-but that's when his troubles only begin. Two men are waiting for him on the shore, and they are not the kind of men you want to meet at any time. Murderers and ex-cons, they're intent on diving to the bottom of the very deep lake and uncovering the remains of a legendary plane wreck there, supposedly loaded with Cuban treasury gold. Ford's expertise is just what they need. And if he doesn't want to help? He can die. His friends? They can die, too. In fact, they can die right now. . . . As the hours tick away, two mortal struggles unfold simultaneously, one above and one below. Neither outcome is certain, no man is safe . . . and in the deep shadow, only death awaits." -- from publisher's website.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,298,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible