The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and…

The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession (2004)

by Mark Obmascik

To See Every Bird on Earth by Dan Koeppel (SqueakyChu)
    Big Twitch: One Man, One Continent, a Race Against Time-A True Story about Birdwatching by Sean Dooley (fmgee)
    A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson (janetteG)
    janetteG: A humorous book about a birding competition in East Africa, with a little environmental politics and and a quirky love story. A well written, happy book.

I never would have thought that a story about obsessed men searching for birds for could be so engrossing. I couldn’t put this one down and only “adult” obligations kept me from reading it in one sitting. I found myself rooting for the underdog, who did not have the financial resources of the other two men to drop everything and fly cross-country to see a rare bird… while simultaneously acknowledging that I would do something extreme to my husband were he to run up tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt to do the same. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Such a fun, entertaining and educational read. I loved every minute if reading it. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Snappily-written insight into why and how competitive birders do what they do. Also, on a side note, has the acknowledgements at the end, which I'm now convinced is the only sensible place for them. ( )
  adzebill | Apr 25, 2014 |
So, first i saw the movie. and that was good. Then i decided to read the book, and boy, even the names are different! besides all the changes from the book to the movie, i still thought this as a good book. Though i dont recomend it to anyone that doesnt enjoy birding and such, because they would have no clue what its talking about!! ( )
  13mushrooms | Jul 12, 2013 |
Someone on FICTION-L said this was the best book OF ANY KIND they had read ALL YEAR. So I read it, and it was pretty interesting but I don't think I would go quite that far.

What it is, is the story of 3 guys in 1998 competing to see who can spot the most species of birds in North America in one year. Which is cool, if you're into that.

Actually, I mentioned to my cousin (who is a fanatical birder) that I had read this and he said that in fact he came in 4th that year. Who knew. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
To Merrill
Sandy Komito was ready.
When the phone was finally answered at his parent’s home, Miller remembered the one other complication: at the Bank of Dad, the chief loan officer was his mother.

Every January 1, a quirky crowd storms out across North America for a spectacularly competitive event called a Big Year—a grand, expensive, and occasionally vicious 365-day marathon of birdwatching. For three men in particular, 1998 would become a grueling battle for a new North American birding record. Bouncing from coast to coast on frenetic pilgrimages for once-in-a-lifetime rarities, they brave broiling deserts, bug-infested swamps, and some of the lumpiest motel mattresses known to man. This unprecedented year of beat-the-clock adventures ultimately leads one man to a record so gigantic that it is unlikely ever to be bested. Here, prizewinning journalist Mark Obmascik creates a dazzling, fun narrative of the 275,000-mile odyssey of these three obsessives as they fight to win the greatest— or maybe worst—birding contest of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

Follows the 1998 Big Year competition between Sandy Komito, Al Levantin, and Greg Miller, during which the three rivals risked their lives to set a new North American birding record.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible