Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 13)…

Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 13) (edition 2006)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:AuntieClio
Title:Micah (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 13)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:Hamilton, Anita Blake, Goes

Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton

Recently added bykgthor, drhapgood, private library, ladyofbadgers, Theadora78, Debra_Burge, dafinker

This is another good book within the Anita Series. You can pick up where you left off quite easily. Last year i was trying to read this as an ebook, too frustrating. Now i have an old paperback version of this, and continued where i left off no problem. The book is a tad annoying with Anita being so testy and maybe a tad selfish. I didn't realize how easily mad she got, with her constant complaining. But otherwise, good book.

I love Laurell Hamilton's work, her writing and just about all of her series. ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Jan 20, 2014 |
Firstly, a pertinent point about this book is it’s short – it’s about 100 pages long by my e-reader and a substantial part of that is a preview of Danse Macabre. This is normally where I insert my complaints about how I don’t like novellas, but I’ll pass on it this once.

But I will say if you are going to write a novella, you have little space to actually waste words – your words have to count. You can’t write an 80 page story and then waffle. Unfortunately, this book does waffle – partly with the standard over-descriptive style interspaced with an annoying amount of recapping (though, to be fair, both are far more restrained than is common in the series) and partly with it taking its time to get on with the plot.

We then have scenes that take too long, add very little and take up space: a sex scene to be exact. And there was the obligatory Agent who calls in Anita but can’t be professional enough to hide his obvious dislike (all these people who hate Anita, none of them capable of a veneer of civility) which means we have to have a longwinded rendition of Anita vs The Haterz that will only get worse from this point in the series.

We also have a lot of revisiting of Anita’s issues. Now I’m not actually against exploring Anita’s need to constantly sabotage her own relationships, being awkward for awkwardness sake and often fleeing into anger whenever she feels any kind of emotion because she’s terrified of anything that may make her slightly vulnerable. These would be interesting things to explore – but less so things to repeat ad nauseum. Exploration is not the same as repetition especially in a novella where we have limited space to actually develop things.

One thing I was eager to see was some development of Micah. By this phase in the books Micah is pretty much a short guy who is a wereleopard and has a really big penis. As one of Anita’s main men – growing ever more important – it would be nice for him to be more than the Giant Kitty Cock (there’s a mental image for you).

Of course, this being the Anita Blake Series, “development” means “big load of angst.” So we get Micah angst… about being a wereleopard (therefore a monster) and having a huge cock (and how this made dating hard).

Y’know it could be an interesting thing to examine that the much vaunted mega-penis of doom actually has a downside, that most women don’t actually want anything to do with a penis the size of their arm and that it’s very easy to be fetishized because of it. Except we had it used as another example of how Anita is better than all women because not only can she take the super ginormocock of doom but she can do it with minimal foreplay while so very very very very tight (as we were told at extreme length) because she is ANITA!

Read More ( )
2 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Oct 31, 2013 |
This is almost classic Anita Blake. Tantalizingly similar to the original character. This is really more like a novella with filler. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 12, 2013 |
"Micah" was extremely short - thin, double spaced, several pages between chapters. It was severely lacking in plot - just enough to give the novel the barest hint of forward momentum, so that Anita and Micah didn't loll around in their hotel room from beginning to end.

However, this is the first Laurell Hamilton book that I've read and it was good enough that I'm going to start at the beginning and see what all the fuss is about. If this is the worst that she can do, her best must be pretty good - because although this book really is a trumped-up short story, the writing is sharp and the atmosphere is dark without being heartless.

So there - this book is, at best, a good hors d'oeuvre. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
Trying to be as concise as possible: this book didn't add anything to the overall series. I get that Hamilton was trying to flesh out Micah's character a bit more, but it could (and should) have just been a short story or novella. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Dec 31, 2012 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My idea of love is not everyone's ideal. Some have broken under the strain of it. This one's for Jon, who sees love not as a burden, but as a gift.
It was half past dawn when the phone rang.

There are lots of reasons to raise the dead - some private, some public. In this case, the feds have a witness who died before he could speak on the record. They want him raised so his testimony can be taken. So here I am, on a plane to Philadelphia, flying off to do my job.

But I’m not alone. Micah is with me. Micah, head of the St. Louis wereleopard pard. King to my Queen. The only one of my lovers who can stir my blood with just a glance from his chartreuse cat’s eyes. I was happy to have him at my side.

Until he mentioned that this will be our first time alone together. No Master Vampire. No Alpha Werewolf. Just me and Micah. And all my fears and doubts…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515140872, Mass Market Paperback)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake is called on to raise the dead-while trying to suppress her ever-growing feelings for a certain wereleopard.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:20 -0400)

Vampire hunter extraordinaire Anita Blake arrives in Philadelphia to raise a witness from the dead so that his testimony can be taken with the help of Micah, the king of the wereleopards, but she is more fearful of spending time alone with Micah, her former lover, than dealing with a zombie.Anita flies to St. Louis, where she faces the most difficult zombie raising of her life--and her first night alone with Micah. This original work includes a special preview of Hamilton's upcoming hardcover "Danse Macabre," on sale in July. Original.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible